1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal Brad Miller, #23, 2013 MEM pick, $ for Jonny Flynn, Motiejunas, 2012 2nd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Jun 23, 2011.

?

Do you like this trade for the Rockets?

1. YES

702 vote(s)
    85.5%
  2. NO

119 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. Dime Dropper

Dime Dropper Member

I don't know what this means...?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Seriously the dude is EVERYWHERE....puts me to shame.

DD

3. Dime Dropper

Dime Dropper Member

I don't get it... what's OHMMS?

1 person likes this.
  4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

No, DM's statistical analysis pointed to Yao Ming being the solution. When he couldn't go again (which must have come as a surprise for DM's computer), the Morey plan was to use 6-6 Chuck Hayes as the starting center. Miller was signed late in the summer to be a backup solution most likely at Adelman's insistence although I can't imagine why he'd want to get Miller seeing as how well Hayes and Yao had solidified the center position.

#384 HillBoy, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He's a jackass that thinks he is the only person on the plannet that knows anything about European players and the rest of us know nothing about basketball. He also has a severe dislike for Motiejunas. If he disagrees with you he will say you clearly know nothing about basketball and will ignore facts in an argument that proves him wrong. He is your basic forum troll.

BTW, thanks for the reports I repped you. And welcome to the board.

6. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Member

Don't worry about it. He's some guy who posts here. I think he's in love with Valunciunas or some other Euro prospect who's name I can't spell or pronounce.

Thanks for the post. It was really informative and well-written. I was expecting some regurgitated medley of stuff you'd pick off of wiki and Espn. I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't really know much on Motiejunas and didn't really want him based on what scouting reports said about him, but this gave me assurance that DMorey knows what he's doing.

7. drsnay76

drsnay76 Member

In 5.....4.....3.....2......1

8. drsnay76

drsnay76 Member

I don't know if this scouting report has been posted....

Positives: Despite his size, Motiejunas has excellent court speedCombines that quickness with an 8'11" standing reach, 7'1" wingspan and 37-inch vertical jump to create tremendous mismatches vs. smaller wings forced to defend him on the perimeter (made 41.7% of his three-point attempts the last three years) … Has valid scoring instincts, as he excels at using his body to gain separation needed to create his own shot … One of those rare big men with a good handle on the ball, as he can dribble and shoot with either hand (dished out 136 assists in 133 games), as that long reach has also proven quite effective disrupting his opponent in the passing lane (recorded 143 steals) … Does a nice job of securing the outlet passes and will generally get the bigger defenders off-balance with his post moves, as he can spin, elevate and fire quickly with his mid-range and turn-around jumpers … Very effective shooting with his off-hand and shows good ball handling skills, along with the court vision to locate the open teammate with a nifty pass … Until his body develops and adds more bulk, he could be quite effective as a point forward, as he shows the valid skills to bring the ball up court and leaves bigger forwards behind when leading the fast break … Nearly impossible to defend when he sets up and fires from the perimeter, getting the ball away with excellent elevation … Takes advantage of his size to shield the ball from the defender and dish the sphere around on pick-&-pop plays … Very mobile, with the lateral quickness and long arms to get back and defend the basket … Knows how to use his frame and long limbs to generate a wide base and establish position in the low post … Versatility is one of his stronger suits, as he can play all three frontcourt positions and can score from either hand … Good post passer who is best when shooting around the basket, displaying a soft touch to convert short jumpers and hook shots … Has good quickness getting up and down the court and works hard to get position to make the rebound and then take the ball coast to coast … Does a good job of slashing past the defender on the baseline and does a nice job of putting the ball in when facing the basket … Runs the floor well and has good court vision, making proper decisions on when to pass or drive when facing double team action … Has that gliding stride that makes him very effective driving to the basket after hauling in the quick lob pass … Has the loose hips to move well without the ball and the large, natural hands to grab the ball fed to him in the postGood rebounder, as he keeps his hands high and active, showing a quick move with his lean frame to slip under or over the opponent … Will generally score when he gets the offensive rebound … Has the natural feel to make the one-handed feed, especially when elevating off the floor and firing at the basket at the high point of his leap … Has the touch and feel to make the difficult angle shots … Shows a nice jump hook half-floater moves and with his wingspan, when he elevates, his shot is very tough to block … Shows very good touch to finish at the rim … Takes good angles to finish in and around the paint … Can knock down the jumper from the baseline or be creative coming off the dribble to make his own shot … Has the explosive step off the floor to finish bounce passes with a strong dunk … Conscious of timing his leaps to get up to the rim for the put-backs and works well with his guards in running the floor smoothly in transition … Has the natural hands to catch the alley-oop passes and when he elevates, he shows a nice fingertip tip role shifting the ball to his left hand for the score … Can sail over the smaller opponents when running down court for the easy layups.

Negatives: Seems to be a point forward/two-guard type trapped in a four-forward's body … Has marginal defensive awareness and even though he will angle and slip under defenders to get to the rebound, he does not have the strength to prevent NBA type forwards from constantly pushing him out of the paint … Must develop better aggression, as he will back down from confrontations when forced to work under the rim … Is much more comfortable creating his own shot and will get too fancy with his passes at times … Needs to stop being so individualistic and look to play within the team concept better (pouted when he was not used as the go-to scoring option at Treviso last year) … Better on the offensive boards, where he has a good angling concept for put-backs, but is not the type that will consistently crash the defensive glass … Seems reluctant to test his skills in the NBA and has told teams looking to draft him that he might stay in Europe unless he is taken with a lottery pick … Questions need to be answered about a potentially large buyout clause in his contract … Gets backed in the post too often, leading some to question his courage working inside.

Compares To: ANDREA BARGNANI, Toronto -- Like Bargnani, Motiejunas is more likely to play as a combo forward, lacking a strong post game. He is still a bit weak for a player his size and seems to be more concerned about getting the ball in his hands than giving any sort of effort on the defensive side. His scoring touch is reminiscent to Tony Kukoc, as he can really create mismatches with his ability to fire the ball from the perimeter. After flirting with the NBA prior to the 2010 draft, if he remains in the draft pool this year, he is most likely to be the first international player taken.

--Dave-Te' Thomas

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks Dime Dropper and drsnay76 for the goods on Donatas.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't have any concerns on the offensive side. My problem is on this team you want centers to be guys who don't mind doing the dirty work and banging inside to get those rebs. More importantly I want the center to clog the paint and bother shooters. Scratch that, I don't even care about banging inside, blocking shots and getting rebs if he could just clog the paint and bother shooters extremely well I'm fine with that.

If we had a Tyson Chandler at the 5 then getting D-Mo to play 4 would be perfect. As is, I think we'll be playing him out of position.

11. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Yeah, I hear ya about a Tyson Chandler type. It would be nice to have a banger down low, collecting rebounds at an alarming rate and blocking every shot that enters the paint (or at least making the opposition think twice before getting a layup). However, I don't think this is an exclusive need at the Center position. I think we want that from just about any position we can get it for this team. (Man, I miss defense.)

Now, if you have guys at the 3 and the 4 that take care of rim protection and have everyone collecting rebounds, then I think you'd be able to play Motie at Center and have him dominate there offensively down the road.

I think ideally you get a very defensive minded center and share his minutes there with Motiejunas (if you're going to play him at center at all, which it sounds like the Rockets plan to do).

Now, for the record...I agree with you, that we'd be playing him out of position. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be fine with that for short stretches as long as we have that paint protector or two we've been missing for 2 seasons, because he's got the offensive firepower to be there.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure he doesn't have a 37 inch vert. I think it somewhere around 27 inches on a good day.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

DRSNAY76, how old is the report that you posted? It talks about the need for Monti to get stronger. Well, by some accounts, the man has gained 15 lbs of muscle.

Secondly, the last sentence in the report talks about Monti being the 1st international player taken. We got him at 20th, so I guess Morey stole this draft pick. :grin:

14. drsnay76

drsnay76 Member

A max vert of 37" isn't too unbelievable.

Jon Leuer went 36", Jujuan Johnson 38" and Keith Benson 36". They all have similar body types.

27" would be Vucevic (25") and Josh Harrelson (31") range.

15. drsnay76

drsnay76 Member

That report isn't dated, but it was distributed by cbssports and yahoo as this year's draft information.

16. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Good find, thanks. That's a pretty glowing scouting report. It sounds like he's a guy that needs to play and get knocked around alot. Most Euros need a year of pounding before they show their game.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You'll figure it out after being here a while, assuming OHMMS hasn't wandered off to bedevil some other BBS with his, uh, presence. Hey, I really enjoyed your take on Montiejunas. The most recent video I saw of him showed excellent quickness making some very nice moves in the post, with more weight and strength being pretty obvious. If he keeps building his body, and game, for the rigors of the league, we've got another gem unearthed by Mr. Morey.

Welcome to the board, and don't be a stranger. :)-

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

@drsnay76 He certainly looks like an interesting player, hopefully we can groom him to be more of a 5 on the boards and on D like we did with Yao.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That would be a waste imo. It's like playing Pau Gasol at center. I want to Donatas be be a mismatch on offense. The answer is to find a real center and pair him up with Donatas to create a Bynum/Gasol type front court. Not turning him into something he's not and limiting his talents on the offensive end. Two seven footers would be idle and the key to going far into the playoff.

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Mind posting the video?