1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[38th Pick] Chandler Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 23, 2011.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Maybe he was mostly refering to falling in the draft? Or about simply looking over defenses. that doesn't mean the players are the same in other areas. i dont think these two are. Parsons is more of a point forward who can do a little of everything and Budinger is a shooter who can do well in areas where he can use his outstanding vertical.

2. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Thanks Bima.

Had to read your answer twice to make sure I understood what you are saying, but now I do. It's really pretty simple, kinda like the can't-be-without-a-1st-round-pick-2-years-in-a-row rule. Really easy actually if you understand the principle behind it.

The term "portion" is what threw me off. I think it's not really accurate(although I can't think of a better one offhand). You can't trade a "portion" of a pick. It's like being pregnant. Either you are, or you aren't. So if I understand correctly, we now owe ANOTHER 2nd round pick. It's just that the prior one(s) owed take precedence, and we just agreed to give them the next one not earmarked for someone else.

If that's the case though, then we didn't buy the pick for (just) cash. It cost us cash, and a future 2nd.

3. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

Wouldn't be surprised if Morey tries to package Buddinger with others for a BIG man.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not sure why McHale compared him to Budinger (he pronounced Bud's name incorrectly, by the way), other than that they are both white and play SF. Just looking at the numbers, Chandler (suggested nickname BING (Chandler Bing) or ALAN (Parsons Project)) looks like a pass-first point forward, whereas Bud is more of a scorer/shooter/athletic guy.

5. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

2nd coming of Dan Langhi....everything in school, including SEC player of the year, amounting to nothing in the NBA. I just can't get over the fact that he shot 61% from the stripe in his college years. I hope I'm eating my words in the near future....

Pugs

6. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Isn't that what everybody has been crying abou?!

7. thebender

thebender Member

liked this guy in college......looked a bit of an all-rounder/team player that could do a bit of everything.....BUT will probably struggle to have that IT factor to make it at this level.....do like him though so I hope he can find a way to make it.

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

This guy makes Chase expendable for the inevitable Dwight Howard trade. ;)

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Man, what's up with people keep trying to speak about small forwards like they're power forwards? I mean, do you automatically see 6-9/6-10 and declare them Power Forwards? Yet by the same logic, people are not proclaiming 7-0 guy a center, despite having more than enough size for the position.

I admit I have no clue who this guy is. Heck, my understanding of the draft basically extended to potential 14th pick. But a 6-10 SF with passing skills is intriguing. At the very least, I think he can provide some mismatches off the bench.

Unfortunately, he's about 5 years too late to be that entry passer for Yao. :(

10. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

This guy will be a star ... in the D league.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think the key words were "a little" and he didnt really go into details about the comparison. It could have been simply about their height and ability to look over a defender or maybe even their personality.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

SEC Players of the Year that have played for the Rockets:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]-*
    [​IMG]-*
    [​IMG]

* - split award

13. Aydge

Aydge Member

Parsons and Budinger are alike in that they both suffer from occasional extreme lapses of confidence, despite being very skilled. Parsons has something in his head where he can't make game time FTs. However, he's a good shooter out to the 3 point line. He's great at seeing the open man on his drives. Extremely good at crashing the offensive glass. Solid defender, may struggle to stick with the quickest SFs, but would definitely be a big improvement over Budinger.

14. Jet036

Jet036 Member

215lbs...wtf

15. roadmatter

roadmatter Member

Hes Going to be Good but not underrated Hope Kevin Mchale Helps Work out with him.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Would have preferred the goofy white dude from Butler, Matt Howard. Would have been a decent undrafted FA.

17. RedGlare07

RedGlare07 Member

This. Parsons can do a better job with the ball in his hands, is a bit more athletic (particularly in the open court) and so on. Chase is a better pure shooter, yes, but Parsons is pretty good as well.

That said, it's the #38 pick of the NBA draft. It's not like we took Sam Bowie over Hakeem.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Langhi was supposed to be a good scorer and not much else. This guy sounds like more of a team oriented guy that makes smart plays, so he probably has a better chance than Langhi.

19. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

This one is surely a head scratcher for me.

I just do not get it.

The first for me as a Morey Fan.

Still, I have an unconditionally positive opinion of Morey

20. Shanghai Shake

Exactly. There's too much focus on positions. Despite who plays center and who plays power forward, we now have multiple 610' or taller players. this was a very good draft for our front court.