1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Indiana must be crazy...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RudyTBag, Jun 21, 2011.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Roy Hibbert and the 15th pick for Derrick Williams?

Really?

I would give just about anything to Indiana to pair Patterson with Hibbert for the next decade...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...wojnarowski_josh_smith_hawks_nba_draft_062011

"The Indiana Pacers have discussed a trade package including center Roy Hibbert and the 15th pick for the Minnesota Timberwolves’ second overall pick, league sources said.

Indiana would draft Derrick Williams should a trade be consummated."

2. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I heard they might offer DG for Al Jefferson again.

Collison - George - Williams - Hansbrough - Jefferson

Pretty good lineup.

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Hibbert is not particularly good. Mediocre rebounder and shoots a really low % for a big.

4. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I've bashed Kahn as much as any Minny fan, but I would forgive him completely if he could pull that off. Meanwhile, the competition between Bird and Jordan on who is the worse manager continues.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hibbert showed some real promise to start the season but seems like he regressed a lot. It was very disappointing. Maybe the Pacers have concluded he's never going to be a good starting C for them.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Indiana is giving up on Hibbert and trying to sell high on him. Hayes toasted him last year. He's not very good. He just looked good for a brief period of time. But, really, he's just another pedestrian 7-footer.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He sucked ass when Jim O'Brien was the coach but as soon as he was shipped out and Frank Vogel gave him his vote of confidence he started dominating in the paint.

His confidence isn't too high so the way O'Brien would bench him and not start him for certain reasons really messed with his head.

He'll be a lot better next year if he stays with Indy and Vogel is resigned.

8. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I followed Hibbert a lot last year, between having him on my fantasy team and the fact I live in Indiana now. I think you're overrating him, OP. Long term, yeah, he's a starting center, but he really has no star quality...just great size and acceptable athleticism. He'll continue to be capable of a 20-10 with 3 blocks on a good night his whole career, but he'll also continue to frequently drop those 6 point, 7 board nights where he shoots 3 for 12. I just don't feel like he has it in him to be more than he is now.

Now, would I take that deal if I were the Wolves? I'd consider it, at least. Depends how you feel about the available prospects at 15. Don't think it happens.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You're right. Bird ain't crazy. He sees the handwriting on the wall spelling mediocre for Hibbert. He's a JAP, just another player, not a difference maker.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't necessarily think the trade itself is lopsided. Hibbert has a lot of promise but he's also never going to be a star or anybody capable of carrying a team and that's precisely what Indiana is lacking.

I have more of an issue with trading for Derrick Williams with Granger already on board than I do with selling high on Hibbert. Of course, moving Granger is the logical thing to do -- the problem is 29 other teams in the league KNOW that too.

Bird has his work cut out for him if he chooses to set this type of plan into motion.

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

So u wouldnt trade Roy Hibbert for a potential superstar???

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think this is the big picture - Bringing in Derrick Williams probably makes it official that Granger is going to be moved this summer. There's an outside possibility they'd try a Granger-Williams-Hansbrough frontcourt, but I doubt it.

Pacers are right there with the Kings and Bobcats trying to tread water financially - they're pushing for that $45M hard cap, and if they think they can reasonably replace a $12M Granger with a rookie contract Williams, they'll do it.

I know for sure that the Clippers, Rockets, and several others have been calling nonstop about Granger...be interesting to see if the Pacers have decided they do like one of the offers on the table and are making this trade to set the stage.

I'd be stunned if Derick Williams makes more than 2 ASGs, let alone becomes a superstar.

13. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I disagree! I think he is the only sure thing in the draft

14. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Roy Hibbert, stats-wise, looks great. Watching him play though, makes me not want him anywhere close to being a Rocket. The guy could not play in the flow of an offense and demands the ball every time. He is a complete black-hole and would throw up wild hook shots instead of passing it back out of a double team.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have no clue what's going on with Hibbert or the good Lopez these days. No freaking clue. I cant even begin to judge how good they actually are or could be.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

17. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

Well i will say that in this Era of NBA basketball the Great NBA Center is almost extinct… so when u have a 7'3 Center Like Hibbert u keep him… look at the other options out there… i don't think Hibbert is very good, but what other options is there? man i miss the 90's… such a amazing time for the Center position…

What happened? do kids just not work on any post moves?

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Derrick Williams does not have superstar potential. If anything, the most ANYONE in this draft is going to be is an inconsistent all-star.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Oh wells, Pacers flipped Jermaine O'neal for Hibbert and TJ Ford.

Now they flip him for Derrick Williams, O'Neal----->Williams. Still pretty good.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Derrick Williams makes 2 All-Star games, he's a slam dunk pick at #2 in this draft. I doubt it happens.