1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao: If healthy, 2 more years. If not, retirement this summer.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houstonhoya, Jun 13, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

With Adleman, I think Yao could've played a significant role as a 12 MPG backup.

With McHale, I have my doubts.

It seems like Yao, when he is on the floor, would have the be the focal point of our offense (and also our biggest simultaneous liability/asset on defense)... I'd trust Adleman to figure out a way to coach our team through such a drastic change in the 12-15 minutes Yao is on the floor.... but McHale, ugh.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He definitely changed the pace of the game when he was in for the few minutes he was in last season. Not saying it was worse, necessarily...just different.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh it was worse, lol....way worse.....the team had been playing a certain way for a year and Yao was not working well with that style.

He would have to come in and adapt, without screwing up the way the rest of the team plays.

It can be done, happens all the time, but not if he is limited to 12 minutes, at least he would not be a key component if he is under a minute limit, only a shot blocking defender and offensive rebounder......

DD

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

because the nature of yao as a player requires significant adaptation from the surrounding team. his style of play does not fit the current paradigm and altering to adjust for a 10-15 minute player for .25 - 2 seasons just doesn't make sense.

cut ties. move on.

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it seems to me everyone knows what style mchale will use. how many years of coaching experience does mchale has? total less than a year if his intern counts.

stop pretending you know what rox looks like in next season. he did say he likes some of ra's offense, such as back door cuts... but he also said he wants to get ball into low post more. it kinda signals that he likes conventional big man style with some seasonings from ra offense, such as asking other players to move around to create opportunaties for themselves instead standing still and watching center to do all works (JVG style).

6. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

+1

- Sushimaster

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

AggNRox,

It has been widely reported that McHale will keep using Adelman's offense etc, that is why they are bringing on Finch.

DD

8. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i base on what he said in the interview not on what was reported. i bet you remember he specifically said he likes to get the ball more into the paint area. can you explain it for me? it doesn't make any sense he said it if ra's offense is his favor in his interview unless you tell me he is the puppy of morey. my impression from his interview is he has no other choice but ra's offense due to our current roster but he prefers big man style if we have a solid big man.

9. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

No he doesn't. That only happened because the team was built around his skills. I'm talking about his potential value as a situational player.

Let me put it this way. If the Rockets could sign a 7'8" center for a minimal price that had a good post up game, could rebound, and was good at protecting the paint why would they not take a chance at signing him.

I agree with the comments that say if he can't play anymore so cut ties.

I agree with the comments that say he would want to sign for more than his real value so cut ties.

I do not agree with, nor understand the comments that say cut ties period. I mean just think about some of the guys we have carried on this team at the end of the bench. Why in the world could we not do that with Yao?

10. rox81

rox81 Member

Well, per you, DD, Yao is following the exact same injury recovery trajectory as Zydrunas Ilgauskas, so he should be back to pre-injury form any minute now.