1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[rockets.com] Draft Preview

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Seven, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Articles by Jason Friedman of Rockets.com

First Part is an overview of the centers including Kanter, Valanciunas, Biyombo, Vucevic, and Tyler. It's interesting and a little depressing that Tyler's being compared to Kwame Brown. Vucevic would be an good pickup, although he won't solve our defensive issues.
    http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/the_big_picture_tking__look_2011_06_07.html
    And here are the two-guards...The more I read about Brooks, the more risky I find him. I still think he's worth the risk at 23 if he's available.
    http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/2011_nba_draft_preview_taking_2011_06_08.html

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I'm a huge Klay Thompson fan as well, hopefully we could trade up to nab him & pick some size later in the draft or through a trade. Thompson could be a sleeper keeper this year.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If you have to trade UP from #14 to draft a guy, then he's not a "sleeper."

I also like Thompson. Reminds me a lot of Kevin Martin. But, like you said, I think you're going to have to trade up to get him. His floor is likely GSW at #11. Jerry West apparently loves the kid.

Frankly, unless Morey views him as an absolute steal wherever he falls to where the Rockets can trade up without giving up much else than #14 and another pick, I doubt they select Thompson. They've got bigger issues at SF (Thompson will most likely be a SG despite his decent size) and will have comparable caliber prospects available at #14.

4. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

True, but he certainly isn't getting as much attention as Burks or even Brooks.

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Well Bima, Burks is widely considered the best SG prospect and I read enough about Marshon Brooks's wingspan & sleeper status to last a lifetime. Thompson appears to be lacking notoriety. Whoever Morey views as a steal hopefully we'll wind up with more size & skill.

6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Pretty good rundown of all of the players. I disagree on a couple of things though with regards to the SG's. David Lighty will be drafted in Round 2. If he somehow isn't, then the Rockets need to be the first one to call him and get him into the organization. He is one of the better all around players in the draft and can contribute minutes off the bench if needed. I believe we will need a SG/SF type capable of playing minutes behind Lee and/or Bud/Williams. If we make a trade, then Lighty can add quality depth to the end of our bench at a low price. One of the better defenders in the draft as well.

Another interesting role player in the draft is Deandre Liggins. Similar to Lighty except he may have a little more upside but both should be solid pros if they go to the right team.

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Really? Kevin Martin?
    I haven't seen enough (two games I think) of Thompson to get a clear view, but he reminds me more of Richard Roby than Kevin Martin. :)

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This. Agree completely.

Similar body types, moreso than quality of overall game. But it's not like Martin was a top-10 draft prospect in 2005.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I second the Kevin Martin comparison, but i don't think we need another 2 guard. Dragic can move over, we have Kevin Martin, we have Courtney Lee, and oh yeah ...some guy named T-Will. Seriously, i believe in taking the best player available in a draft like this, especially picking #14, but i really hope we find a way not to stockpile another SG.