1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Tressel Out at Ohio State

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, May 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Breaking news on ESPN.com. Link to cone when available.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

-Link-

3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

It's about time.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

All I know is Ohio State's administration, Gordon Gee in particular, can kiss the darkest part of my white ass.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not surprised at all and didn't see how he could hang on.

6. pge71188

pge71188 Member

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6YCcxL8oO9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  7. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

It's a good step for him. It shows he has some integrity left. The OSU NCAA case came down to "what he knew and when" and that when was April 2010. The NCAA takes a dim view to folks lying to them, see Pearl, Bruce, as the most recent example. Interested who the Buckeyes go after next. They will have a transition time to a new coach and that would be an opening that Wisconsin, Michigan State or, new Big Ten member Nebraska, could be primed to exploit. That is if Nebraska coach Bo Pelini would take an anger management class. He's a great guy with the fourth estate, always witty, funny and remembers your name, but he is out of control on the sidelines sometimes.

8. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

The NCAA better still bring down the hammer on these violations. I have a slight feeling that they're going to let them off easy but I surely hope they don't.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You think he shouldn't have been fired?

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Oh....the state of Ohio.....

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

We'll never know because Tressel the main and probably only source within the athletics department who had knowledge of and lied about a violation is gone.

13. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Not shocking but I don't see why everyone hates OSU. All top schools get away with stuff... Wish Tressell well. He was a pioneer at OSU.

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If by pioneer, you mean the lowest form of scum then I might agree with you. He got the Ohio State job because he cheated for years at Youngstown State. Then, he started cheating at OSU in 2002.

His cheating ways even date back to his time as an Ohio State assistant. When he was in charge of the football camps, he created a raffle system that he would rig to give prizes to the best recruits at the camps. This is all detailed in the latest issue of SI.

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Haters gonna hate.

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Tressell could sell salt to a slug.....I like the way he accumulates talent...Texans should be all over this

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

And apparently cheaters gonna cheat.

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

well well well he did the right thing.

19. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

They had no choice, especially with the bombshell that SI dropped on them.
    The money graph from the SI story.

Complete story below
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

Also, the OSU compliance director doesn't know how many times he talked with a "friendly" car dealer whose dealership is connected to this whole mess.
    http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...u-compliance-director-called-me-over-50-times

This is a whole big steaming pile of not good. Tressel had to go. No one man, not even Tressel, is bigger than the program. But I don't think parting ways with Tressel and trying to pin all of this on him is going to save the Buckeyes from a worse fate than Alabama or USC when it comes to the NCAA hammer.

And as a member of the media, I freely admit that too many folks in my profession bought into Tressel as a paragon of virtue. Obviously, he wasn't. The sweater vest of shame is Tressel's legacy. Not a national title. Not bringing OSU back to prominence.

And by the way, he had ONE win against an SEC school. ONE! ONE! And that was a game in which the five suspended players were given a get-out-jail-free card to play in the Sugar Bowl, a narrow win over Arkansas.

20. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I haven't read the thread, because I'm sure it's filled with OSU/YSU sandbagging. I know it's a toxic argument but I hope someone is making it.

I am reminded of a quote from Pony Excess. Do you really think these kids don't deserve to get paid?