1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phenix City, Alabama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RoxSqaud, May 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I haven't seen anything in The Woodlands that remotely resembles "ghetto." Bear in mind, I'm partial because I love it, but I'll try to be as honest as possible in my assesment. Also, I don't have kids and graduated from HS in 1999, so all the info about schools I have is outdated. I'll do my best.

Schools - My wife went to HISD schools, I went to CISD schools in The Woodlands, including The Woodlands HS. I received a vastly better primary education than her and she'll admit to as much. I would stack my K-12 experience and quality up against most anyone. They just built a new HS a few years ago called College Park HS. Don't know much about it's rep, but it's a BEAUTIFUL campus and building (as is The Woodlands HS). And I don't think either qualifies as ghetto.

So, 2 HS's, beautiful campuses. 2 County libraries that are top notch. A HS football stadium and natatorium that would be the envy of any town that size. There are dozens of parks all over town that have fenced tennis courts, bball courts, etc. that are free to use and in great condition. The bike trails are awesome. If your kids like to have fun outdoors, like I did, they'll love it.

As far as the other stuff, I'll get as specific as I can: I live in one of the oldest parts of The Woodlands. Wouldn't call it ghetto at all... just older. I am a neighborhood watch coordinator for my block, so I get press releases on crime. I get one email a quarter announcing some type of criminal activity... there is so little crime it's rediculous.

We bought a house built in 1983 in August 08. 4 bed/2 bath. $130K... that's nuts and we absolutely adore our house. No HOA dues either, although they enforce strict deed restrictions that keep the neighborhoods nice. My wife goes to free classes on gardening provided by the city and has a plot at the community "urban" garden where she's growing tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, and a variety of herbs.

I could go on bro. Email me through CF if you want any more info, but all I can say is that I can't recommend The Woodlands enough.

1 person likes this.
  2. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Jeez dude... where you been?

From and including: Tuesday, July 17, 2007
    To, but not including : Friday, May 27, 2011

It is 1410 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date

Or 3 years, 10 months, 10 days excluding the end date

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You know you routinely crossed the border into Columbus so you could look for hookers on Victory Drive.

I live an hour away from there. I don't really understand why you hate it so much.

5. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Busy with work. Kids. Cancer (again). Beat it again. Down to one grandparent alive, which is amazing at my age. Still crying about Yao. Dude is made of balsa wood.

Still crying about Tuscaloosa. My old house there that my family and I lived in during my college days is gone, as is the entire neighborhood. Went to volunteer there and couldn't fight the tears as we gathered up the twisted metal and shattered lumber.

My second run-in with the C-word was almost as bad as the first time. Now I'm getting checkups once a month. As a big guy (about 6-5 or so, give or take), I dropped to 140 pounds, maybe. I could see my ribs. I looked like Skeletor. Lost my hair, again. Getting really sick of that. :mad:

Now I'm up to 200, which is still too skinny (says the wife). I'm working part-time and my investments, which helped us live fat for many years, have taken a lot of hits. I raise our five kids and its...a full-time job. I do all of the cooking, cleaning and various other sundry chores. Now that summer is here, it's really full-time.

I still work on cars. I'm still obsessed with speed. And diesels. I still live in the mountains and love every minute of it. I've learned to fly-fish and enjoy catching trout in the Etowah River near my home.

That about covers it. I'll check in every now and then. Maybe more than I have in the past.

6. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

I grew up here:

[​IMG]

(Zadar, Croatia)

It was nice.

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

no wonder the suicide rate for people who moved from Zadar,Croatia to Houston,Tx is off the charts

8. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Victory Drive's finest...
    [​IMG]

because there isn't anything...just nothingness everywhere...

and I would rather stay in Phenix city for all of eternity than to live in Columbus...that place is flat out ****ing disgusting.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

welcome back and glad you're winning your battles man. sorry for what you've had to go through.

btw, i used to be rm95 :)

10. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Sorry to hear about your experiences RoxSquad. Still, it's very interesting to read about the various place others grew up in.

My family moved from country to country quite a bit so I didn't stay in one place too long, but here are some random pics (not mine) of those cities in from that era.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]