1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston in advanced talks with Kevin McHale (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, May 27, 2011.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F_dtm2rlV_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He's just here to get Hasheem up and running...

1 person likes this.
  2. Nero

Nero Member

And his name is Chris, not Bill. Finch.

In my naivete, I thought you were referring to the old Celtics, when the coach was just a figurehead, and the real coaching was being done during the games by KC Jones. (and I acknooledge I *could* be wrong on the details there, it was a while ago and my brain leaks)

It will not bother me at all if McHale's primary role here is that of motivational speaker and figurehead, while the real coaching is done by CHRIS Finch (everybody STOP SAYING FITCH!!) and some kind of defensive-minded coach a-la Thibodeaux.

3. Kevin McHale

Kevin McHale Member

Meeting with Les right now. lol...he thinks I'm texting my wife on my Blackberry. Going to eat at Outback if anyone wants to raid our party. BTW...can't stand how Les dresses. Morey pretty meh too.

1 person likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He's okay, kind of, but what does he have that other candidates did not? He's not a young whiz. If we wanted a former player as coach... we had the 2nd best one in the league. Most importantly, what has McHale accomplished as a coach or GM or even analyst?

The comparisons to Phil Jackson are crazy until we see some substance or accomplishment.

Finally, the older among us (me and Deckard, for instance) recall his style of play (effective but a little dirty) and his play against the rockets, (again, effective, beat us in the finals.) That and I was a hopeless Dr. J fan so I had to dislike McHale automatically.

Welcome aboard though, K-Mac. I will try to hum the Munsters theme only under my breath.

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I am really really really really relieved that it is not Lawrence Frank.

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Da Finchmeister

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You could be a lot more funny, you know that?

It's an admirable schtick, but we expect something more... effervescent.

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Come on man, treat our next coach with a little more respect :grin:

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

It's funny that you ask for Drexler-esque specifics because his commentary isn't as bad as Clyde's but he's very repetitive. You know how Clyde always says "double team him" is always the answer defensively... well McHale has some of those same not very creative answers to teams problems.

I don't hate the hire, but I would have liked to get someone fresh off a successful assistant coaching stint to get new ideas instead of the same old recycled ones.

This team could be two things... it could be close with the addition of a health star or they could rebuild. McHale would be a better rebuilding hire imho... and that makes me sad to resign myself to.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I was a hopeless Dr.J fan myself back in grade school. Never a McHale or Boston fan, but did go to a Boston-Houston Finals game in Summit when I was a freshmen in high school. Many many moons ago.
    Hopefully the McHale signing works out or Morey might be looking for a new job.

11. meekg

meekg Member

I'm thinking no one else wanted to babysit Finch for two years?? Of course, this all depends on whether DM does bring Finch up to the pros, but based on all the hearsay we've heard recently, that would seem to be the case.

12. Raven

Raven Member

A company man, won't make waves, will work cheap, will accept "input" on his coaching staff, has a lot of friends around the league, knows how to work the media, and has a relationship with the team currently thinking about trading their high draft pick.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chron story

14. yellowrose

yellowrose Member

utilizes younger players... budinger will play more

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Are the Rockets going to sign a deal with McHale or is the contract going to be with ManpowerGroup Staffing Solutions Int'l?

In a similar vein, I'm sure there's some qualified Indian coaches in a call center outside Bangalore who could handle practices and preseason telephonically to save on travel costs.

1 person likes this.
  16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I feel the same way

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

As expected

Jonathan_Feigen Jonathan Feigen

Nothing done. Expect Chris Finch to be promoted from RGV

18. vick

vick Member

Mchale was picked because he will roll over for Morey, Adleman wouldnt. This will go down as an EPIC BAD PICK. After 2 or 3 years i think Morey and Mchale will be run out of town.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

RudyT -> JVG -> Rick Adelman -> Kevin McHale.

I have to look at that a spell.

Well, I have to admit I was hoping for Casey. Or one of the others assistants (Budenholzer, Malone) that weren't serious candidates. I can't even say I wouldn't have preferred Frank.

But the Rockets have made their choice and hopefully whatever magic he displayed in his interviews will translate to better play next year.

20. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

In Morey I trust. We'll see how it pans out.