1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Malone could deliver in New Orleans next season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigEasyRocket, Oct 31, 2002.

1. BigEasyRocket

BigEasyRocket Member

According to an article in the New Orleans Times Picayune today, Malone has considered playing for New Orleans next year. I guess this would make sense, as he is from Louisiana. Anyway I just find it funny He and his team (which STILL has OUR name) return to N.O. and have their A$$E$ handed to them. After this Malone gives an interview and says he would like to play here next season, this is great.

HOME DELIVERY >

Karl Malone would consider finishing career in his native state of Louisiana
    10/31/02
    By Marty Mulé
    Staff writer/The Times-Picayune

Karl Malone was in a pensive mood prior to taking on the New Orleans Jazz on Wednesday night.

"Better late than never," the perennial Utah Jazz All-Star said of finally playing in New Orleans.

"Seventeen years ago," he said, "I'd probably have been playing here."

Malone, a native of Summerfield and a Louisiana Tech alum, would still consider that possibility.

The 6-foot-9 forward is in the last year of his contract, and since the Hornets moved to the Crescent City from Charlotte, the notion of possibly ending his career in his home state has been on his mind.

"The minute they got the franchise, I started thinking about it," he said. "You know how it is, if you're born and raised in Louisiana it stays with you, it's a part of you."

Malone, 39, is a 14-time All-Star who has 34,707 career points, second only to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (38,387). Malone could surpass Abdul-Jabbar in two seasons. He also holds the record for the most consecutive 2,000-point seasons (11), and the most 2,000-point seasons (12) and is the NBA's all-time leader in defensive rebounds with 10,117.

For his career, Malone is averaging 25.5 points and 10.3 rebounds per game. A season ago, playing 80 games, Malone averaged 22.4 points, 8.6 rebounds, 4.3 assists, and 1.9 steals.

Malone, who has four school-aged children, said moving his family won't be a problem. "I'd just take them with me. Kids adjust."

Malone said he's open to whatever opportunities present themselves, and he said "a lot of things have to go into my decision."

"It's not about me trying to hold (the Jazz) hostage. It's that I have options and I welcome that."

Malone was the Jazz's primary option Wednesday. He led the team with 20 points. Jazz coach Jerry Sloan was impressed with the play of the Hornets, who outscored his team 32-11 in the fourth quarter.

"This is a very good team," he said. "They'll win 60 games, maybe, without breaking a sweat."

Sloan also was impressed with the fans of New Orleans.

"They were good and exciting," he said of the loud, overflow crowd, "and they'll be happy because they have a nice team to watch. They're well-coached, they execute well and they have some guys that can really play this game. They've got to be excited. They have some guys who know how to play, and it should be fun for them."

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

As much as I hate Malone, I think it would be nice for him to play close to home for his last year.