1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets looking to sell high on "Impactful Veteran Help" to Kings for higher pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 20, 2011.

1. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Good idea...Trade 2 of our starters for Kemba and some garbage. I would trade Scola for 7 straight up. Lowry will be a top 10 pg next year IMO, so why would we want to trade him?

2. Rockets_4_life

You got to think about this from a rebuilding perspective. Don't get me wrong, Kyle Lowry is great, he played fantastic toward the end of the season, but Kemba Walker has a higher ceiling.

We would essentially trade Lowry for an eventual upgrade in Walker, and include Scola to open up space for Pat, Hill and any other front line player we might draft.

We're not trading for specific picks. We're trading for players that the organization is targeting. The rockets only do the trade if the player they want is at that pick. Which is why trades are done on draft night.

3. conquistador#11

Who knows. Maybe Morey's IBM 5100 tells him that since he acquired lowry for basically nothing, receiving a high pick for Kyle would be "WINNING".

But to me,trading away a YOUNG(just turned 25) point guard who is a leader, a scorer and a distributor for a "potential" player in Kemba would be a huge mistake. It would be like the texans trading away Arian Foster in order to get Mark Ingram because Ingram had some sexy seasons in college. And well, foster, that bum, he wasn't even drafted.
    There are bigger holes to fill than the PG position.

With the rumors of Mchale being the next coach and seeing the new way foward that the organization is headed towards, I would be ok with trading Martin and scola. They deserve to be on winners. Martin in chicago and scola reunited with manu.

4. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

#14 + Scola + Chase for Derrick Williams.

I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm fine with Patterson/Hayes/Hill at the 4.

Williams is the best player in this draft at the position we need (SF).

5. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Given Morey's drafting success, I would trade Lowry for #7. Almost any other GM, I'd keep Lowry. #7's turn into busts frequently enough.

As for there not being anybody we want at that spot, 6-9 months later, we'd find out that, yes, there WAS somebody worth trading Lowry for.

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I would guess we would target Jonas Valanciunas at 7; hasn't Morey made several trips to Europe in the past few months?

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Who exactly on the Bulls entire roster would you prefer to take those shots? Keith freakin Bogans?!?!?! Carlos Boozer is not a constant low post player, he does at times but even in his Utah days DWill set him up for that 15 foot jumper more than he went to the low block. Noah is a garbage man, cleaning up the offensive glass and helping on weakside D, certainly not a guy who can carry a team scoring wise.

AND the guy has the quickest first step I've EVER seen in the NBA for his size so why wouldn't you want him attacking the basket the way he does. It's not like he's sitting around the 3 point line jacking up shots, he creates for himself and others as well as gets his points from the line.

If I haven't made my point now, I give up.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He has indeed. He's tweeted about a few games he's attended in Lithuania and other countries if I remember correctly.

That's why I'm confident that if we have a chance at one of the Euro's out of this draft and he is there for the picking Morey will jump all over it, cause he and his staff have been doing their homework, even if it hasn't been here at home. :grin:

9. University Blue

I agree -- JV and EK are the only players I am interested in this draft; and am willing to part with LS, happy to part with TW, JH, HT to move up this year or for picks in next year's draft.

10. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

It’d be nice to move up in the draft a few spaces. What, we’re looking at getting the 7th pick from Sac?

Well, IMHO…while there are some exciting young talents (ala Fredette, Morris, or Knight), everyone and their mom knows the first thing we need to address is heighet in the front court. I mean, my goodness I got love for the Chuckwagon but if I have to seen him at the C position for another year, I might lose it.

By the 7th pick, bigs like Enes Kanter, and Vessley will have been taken, though it would open up the possibility to get say Donatas Motiejunas OR my sleeper…

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QBS0lHZGJP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Valanciunas is listed at 240/6'11 Vs Donatas Motiejunas who is a legit 7 footer, but apparently weighs 20 pounds less than Jonas. The next even close prospect would be Biyimbo (sp?), whom I'm not too impressed as of yet. But yeah, I really think making this move could help us alot just as long as we address our crucial needs first.

It's a weak draft anyways. :grin:

11. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

The 7th pick in this draft equals 15th - 20th in a good draft. The Rockets would be fools to give up anything of value for that pick. Unless they are planning on packaging the 7th and 23rd for the 2nd pick then I'll be fine with that.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ridiculous trade.

1 person likes this.
  13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you guys are forgetting that moving scola's contract is a huge win too. the guys is signed very long term considering his age and now his injury. he's also pretty pricey. i bet the team wants to make room for pat and get out of that contract before it becomes a hinderance.

getting a higher lotto pick for scola and his contract would be great at this point, even in a weak draft. sure there are no superstars at #7 (there may not be any in the draft) but there are players who can turn out to be starters.

it may be a step back talent-wise but when you add age, potential, and cost into the equation the deal makes more sense. (see the coaching situation).

14. Rockets_4_life

Okay, that's your opinion, and there's nothing I can do to change it. But from long term rebuilding perspective I think my trade makes a ton of sense.

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Ok, I understand trading Luis scola, since we're in a rebuilding mode, but why should we trade Kyle Lowry?! He is only 25(26?) he is still really young and is a bargain for his current contract. Your trade makes no sense at all and nor does your reasoning.

16. DiamondDobb

DiamondDobb Member

You know, I know that European ball is a different game to the NBA, but I gotta say, if that kid can translate his skills, bulk up a bit (a bit skinny for a 5) and improve as he plays I'd take him in the draft no question. He's long and he has a nice touch in the post, that's all we need right now for a big man. Put more weight on him and he could stand up against most of the 5's in teh league right now (notice I say most, Dwight would abuse him with strength lol)

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I have loved watching Scola, but to trade him for a package including the 7th pick would be great. It gets Hayes into the rotation as back up PF and then lets Patterson get experience.

18. Rockets_4_life

Like I posted above, we find ourselves in a situation, where one team (the kings) are trying to get into the playoffs next year and another team(the Rockets) are trying to rebuild from scratch.

So with that said this is my rationale behind the trade:

From a rebuilding perspective, we would trade Lowry (immediate impact player, that the kings are seeking) for the 7th pick, PG Kemba Walker, who has more upside and would be an eventual upgrade to Lowry. You also include Scola as a throw in to open up playing time for the young guys like Patrick Patterson and Jordan Hill, and any other front line player we draft this year or next.

But of course, IF the kings are willing to accept a trade that involves Luis + another asset (not named Lowry), that would be awesome too... :eek:

19. scola4

scola4 Member

Stopped right around there. "Throw in"? I know why you would trade him, but he has much much value than a "throw in".

No way 2 of our best players are worth that pick especially in this draft.

Also, Lowry > Kemba.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

There have been plenty of ideas I disagree with, but none more than dealing lowry with plans of kemba walker taking his place.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert at scouting, but of all the players in the draft, I have watched him the most, and I just don't see him dominating at the next level.

Lowry is only 25 years old and still improving, starting over with a 21 year old who may never even get as good as Lowry currently just seems stupid.