1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey and Jimmer Fredette

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rokman, May 17, 2011.

1. arubato

arubato Member

Haven't seen him play. But at 6'2 role player with shooting skills, am I looking at Luther Head v2.0?

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Obviously you haven't seen him play.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Jimmer isnt athletic enough to play PG in the NBA...but he's also not tall enough to play SG in the NBA.

He has no real position. His potential in the NBA is a solid role player off the bench.

Do you spend a lottery pick on a bench player? Would probably be best to aim higher and go for potential.

4. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

In this draft, getting a rotation player (outside of top 10) is decent.

5. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

Have you been watching Terry killing it in the playoffs this year? You wouldn't spend a lottery pick on a guy that can potentially be like Terry?

In this draft, the boom:bust ratio is leaning heavily toward "bust" when you consider those "potential" players. I usually lean towards those guys too, but in this particular draft, I'd rather get the guys with the high floors.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yuck. First, Terry is quicker than Jimmer and he's over 30!!!

Second, No. I'd rather take my shot at a high ceiling Big man that could solve the problems we have than someone you think compares to an off the bench scorer.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Tristan Thompson

8. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

In Jimmer We Trust!

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

At worst, it's possible. Like, bottom of the bottom of the barrel worst.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

jopatmc -
    No...I absolutely do NOT agree with this. BPA is a good general theme. And it has it's useful purpose. But right now...for the Rockets...BPA is the wrong methodology.

The Rockets need a starting caliber Center. (And wishing that Dwight Howard forces a SnT deal to HOU next summer is a pipe dream).

Everything...and I mean EVERYthing...that the Rockets do should be toward the end result of a Center (or at least a PF) with an overwhelming skill set on both sides of the ball.

Unless Fredette is part of a deal where the Rockets swap picks (up or down) and move players to go after a low post presence...all else is background noise.

I personally just don't see Freddete as part of any Rockets' Road Map back to the Finals. But I DO see Fredette as $Ball selection. And that in itself is bothersome.

11. University Blue

Well, Jimmer is under-sized, so there is a very good chance Houston will draft him.

12. SunsRocketsfan

Look at JJ Barea. that guy always kills us.. But he's a role player to provide instant offense and change of pace off the bench. If he's available I wouldnt mind using the pick on Jimmer. At the 14th pick there are no gurantees and there is no one else that really stands out this year.

13. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

This.

After watching Rose the past few weeks, why would anyone want to draft an unathletic PG again?

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Wait, is this the same logic that said:

"Let's draft Aaron Brooks, you 4 year senior you, to back up Rafer Alston and Mike James and Steve Francis and Luther Head."

and

"Let's draft Carl Landry, you 3 year junior you, to back up Chuck Hayes and Luis Scola and Steve Novak."

and

"Let's draft Chase Budinger, you 3 year junior you, to back up Shane Battier and Trevor Ariza and Tracy Mcgrady."

and

"Let's draft Patrick Patterson, you 3 year junior who already graduated smarty pants so you are really a senior you, to back up Luis Scola and Chuck Hayes and Jordan Hill and Jared Jefferies."

Wait. Because if that is the logic we are talking about, if THAT is this so called "B($Ball)PA instead of need"... well, hell... SIGN ME UP.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Do you think they've been doing everything possible to acquire this type of big man? I do. Why did Morey hold out on the Knicks for the inclusion of Hill and the 2012 draft pick? It's not like he hasn't tried to make deals for this big man with an overwhelming skill set on both sides of the ball. We had that big man until he got hurt and Morey's been scrambling ever since.

And the way to acquire that awesome big man (I guess you're asking for Howard or possibly Bynum or maybe Nene fits the bill), is to keep acquiring players who are good players and future draft picks until you've got enough talent and assets to get the trade done.

The other way to acquire one is by getting lucky. We can tank to kingdom come, not be competitive, empty out the arena, and go to the lottery, cross our fingers and hope we get the right ping pong ball combination and then hope after we get the right ping pong ball combination that we hit the next lottery which is picking the player that will turn into that awesome big man you are seeking.

I prefer Morey's way.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i know, it's been so successful.

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I would say Redick is one of the 10 best players in his draft class.

Lowry, Rondo, Gay, Barganni, Aldridge, and Millsap are all easily above Reddick. Tyrus Thomas, Sefalosha, and Shannon Brown are maybes to more or less the same talent as Redick. So at worst, he's 10th.

So, I'd say it was an alright pick in the end. Given that this draft is weaker, if Jimmer is at 14, I'd say you take him. But I doubt he falls that far because this draft sucks.

18. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I may not agree with everything in your post, but sadly, I think you got this mostly right. What a terrible draft class, 2006. There were maybe 11-12 players in the draft that year that have made any kind of name for themselves today. Saying Reddick is a top 10 player from that draft is fair, albeit debatable. But I think top 6-8 of that draft is a bit of a stretch, though again debatable.

In Draft Order (excluding obviously worse players):
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Tyrus Thomas
    Brandon Roy
    Randy Foye
    Rudy Gay
    Thabo Sefolosha
    Ronnie Brewer
    Rajon Rondo
    Kyle Lowry
    Shannon Brown
    Jordan Farmar
    Paul Millsap

I wonder if 2011 will go down as being just as bad. My money is on yes. That draft was only 6 players deep. This one looks to be 5-7 players deep.

As far as Jimmer goes, I haven't seen a second of him playing. But if he is as you described, being able to hit a shot from anywhere on the court AND with the ability to hit shots with tight defenses collapsed in on him, then I'd say he probably does have a good shot at having a solid NBA career. Maybe a great 6th man on a good team.

19. what

what Member

Yall are crazy for not picking Jimmer. if he falls to 14. That is ridiculously low for this guy. This dude is going to be a freakin beast in the pros.

20. what

what Member

This dude was making college teams his @@@@@.

What is constantly overlooked is the heart of a champion, and jimmer has that heart more than anyone in this draft.

Hell if yall don't want him ship him to the grizzlies I'm sure we'll find a spot for him.