1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBC] The Voice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by liljojo, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I thought that Blake chose the wrong guy too. My theory is that was that he chose the country voice because that guy was the only one left with a real country feel on any of the teams.

2. dianap07

dianap07 Member

i think blake chose the cowboy because he is a lot easier to market. his voice is pleasant...he's not a bad looking guy and in the country world...you can sell records pretty easily when given a great team to work with.

the other guy...well, what genre/style would he pursue? I don't think blake knew where to go with the guy.

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Well, isn't the point of this show to find out who has the best voice? Wasn't that why they initially were not allowed to see the contestants?

Adam choose the girl over the guy -- he was disappointed when he turned around and was stuck with having that guy on his team during auditions. I think he told him he was expecting to see a woman with his voice, lol. I think Adam had it in his mind to pick the girl over the guy from the very start.

I actually suspect Blake did the same thing, but you bring up reasonable points as to why he'd take perhaps a "lesser" singer in favor of a guy whose similar to his style.

PS: This was said to be the best battle of the night:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OQV0T6ECxdo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

LMAO @ you guys calling that one singer on Blake's team, the "gay mormon" - I didn't think there was such a thing...................

Any way,I enjoyed the episode and I have clearly enjoyed it more than American Idol (don't get me started on that show). I do think that the one big criticism though is that the judges are trying to get rid of some people they wished they hadn't picked due to it being a blind audition. I guess it has to do with a marketability angle but still, I really thought Adam should have gone with Mahoney instead of the girl because she is 18 and still has lots of time to hone her voice and become something; time has pretty much run out on the Mahoney dude. Yet like LTF pointed out, Adam made the comment on when he picked Mahoney on his blind audition, he thought he was a woman singing (which I never saw why he thought that). So, I think it was somewhat obvious that he wished he hadn't picked the guy. Same thing goes for Blake and the "gay mormon".

Only Cee-Lo and Christina picked singers that in my mind were equal to each other in ability and talent. I hope that the next 3 weeks in which they show the remaining battle rounds, it doesn't become so blatantly obvious that they are trying to get rid of people like it was with Adam and Blake.

5. liljojo

liljojo Member

I don't see what people's infatuation with Mahoney is. I don't think he sang the song very well, especially at the beginning. I felt bad for the guy, but in my opinion, Casey plain outsang him.

She wore that dress really well too. That didn't hurt.

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I agree 100%

I'm not a big fan of Casey's but she definitely did better than Mahoney.

7. dianap07

dianap07 Member

i agree casey did the better job but hopefully she can learn to control her vibrato cause it can be unpleasant at times.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Exactly. For how much this Mahoney dude was building himself up and talking about how he was the king of "almosts", he wasn't very good at all. Casey is young and raw but her potential and the fact that she upstaged this supposed professional made this an easy call, IMO.

As for Blake's dilemma, I thought this was definitely the toughest to call to make. On one hand, you have Tyler ("the gay Mormon") who clearly has a higher range and took that Elvis song to new heights. But on the other hand, it's still and Elvis song so naturally it needs to be deep and low. That's an area that clearly favors the country guy. So at the end, it can be argued one of two ways: 1) Tyler made the song his own and took it somewhere -or- 2) Patrick nailed an Elvis song the way an Elvis song needed to be performed. Tough call.

As for the others: neither of Christina's singers really impressed me all that much. Could have just been the song choice (not a fan of Beyonce's song). I would have went with the lady that didn't win.

Agreed with Adam's selection.

9. liljojo

liljojo Member

A few things:

1. This show has a really weird pace to it. Things seem a bit rushed, and it's difficult to really connect with most of the contestants, since you only see eight per episode, and they get booted off 4 at a time. The battle rounds make for some good music, but virtually no drama. They either need to find a new way to organize the show or get 4 new judges every season, because at this point, they're the only people I'm really invested in.

2. Javier Colon is basically untouchable. That said, the other battles were really close in my opinion, and it's good to know that all 4 of the judges are competent. I love seeing the rehearsals just to hear how good all four of them actually are. And Monica. Holy crap, can that girl sing.

3. WTF is with this Quaker Oatmeal commercial on NBC.com? I'm still trying to figure out if it's supposed to be intentionally ridiculous. Dude reminds me of Rob Lowe's character on Parks and Rec.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DWkOQhHab7Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Alison Haislip is possibly the coolest chick ever. Would not be surprised to see her replace Carson Daly if this show takes off.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

^^That's Bob Harper from The Biggest Loser. Im not sure what you mean by ridiculous.:confused: The commercial looks fine and that's just the way he acts.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Thoughts on Tuesday's episode? I can't complain too much with the picks this go around.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Went pretty much exactly how I thought those battles would go. I felt bad for Angela Wolff... she could have given her best performance ever and she still would have gone home. There was just no way at all Javier was leaving.

13. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Lol....the battle was over before it even began. She knew she didn't have a chance and you can really tell that she was really intimidated.

14. University Blue

Actually, I think Angela held her own. I wouldn't mind seeing them bring back Angela and Tyler (the gay Mormon). (I would put Tyler on Adam's team.)

15. liljojo

liljojo Member

She's quite likable and I think she put on an impressive show, considering the circumstances. I don't think she has the talent to be considered in the top half though. She has a great voice, but the competition on this show is crazy stiff. Pair her up with Javier and it's game over, man.

Battle rounds are really tough.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Nakia vs. Tje. I thought this was the closest battle. I liked Tje's voice better but didn't like his ad libs. Nakia did a better job with his runs and with bringing more emotion to the table. The think I don't like about Nakia is that I think he growls too much, especially at the beginning of phrases. It may not get annoying hearing only one song at a time but I think it's something that would wear on you throughout an entire album or concert. I'd like to see him sing in a purer voice more often and break out the growling for the climax of the tune instead of starting off that way. In the end, I was leaning Nakia a little but would have been satisfied with either moving on.

Jared vs. Elenowen. Jared really surprised me here. I wasn't particulary impressed by either of his auditions but I though he did a great job. He showed more soul than I expected. The only nitpick about him is that he didn't sound good on the harmony on the third chorus, though he did well in the first two. I thought Elenowen was too laid back. It felt like the emotion level dropped when it was their turn to sing. The guy seem a little hesitant and the girl flubbed her solo as Reba pointed out later. I wasn't a fan of their audition either because while I felt she was solid, his harmony was off, so I was kind of surprised to see that she was the one that faltered. I liked Jared.

Javier vs. Angela. No contest. Javier is the man to beat in this competition. It's funny about Angela, I like her less the more I hear her. I loved her first audition, only liked her second audition, and didn't particularly like her last night.

Beverly vs. Justin. Again, I didn't like Beverly in the audition but she nailed it last night. It helped that the song choice suited her style. This wasn't much of a contest. She nailed it and he didn't sound too comfortable. He came out flat and was struggling to get up to pitch, though I thought he did well on the little interlude. I think I'd eventually like to see Beverly go up against Jared and have the two rockers battle it out.

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

^

Agreed on pretty much everything you said. I also feel that Javier is the one to beat. Not too crazy about Bev but she really rocked it last night. Was glad to see Justin Blake step up like he did as I thought he was at a disadvantage of having to go against the duo, but it really turned out to be a disadvantage for them as after hearing that song, it felt like Justin did all the singing and Elenowen was his backup singers, lol.

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Just watched this week's episode. I kind of feel like that Kelsey Rey chick should have won. Also, she was ridiculously good looking.

19. liljojo

liljojo Member

Same. The Taylor twins are kinda cute, but very gimmicky and nowhere near as talented.

I did not like Adam's pairing. I think both of them could have gone far in this competition. It's a shame they had to battle each other. But then again, his team is solid that at least one of these battles was bound to end up that way.

Team Christina was pretty weak. I probably would have picked Julia, just because she impressed me more during the blind auditions. The actual battle was underwhelming. Don't really care either way.

Team Blake's battle was really odd. I agree with the others that their styles were too different to really compare the two. Glad he chose Dia though. The southern church girl had some really good singing chops, but didn't really stand out to me. Dia has a more distinct personality, which goes a long way in these competitions and in the public eye in general.

BTW, if the judges could pick anyone in the world to be in the battle rounds, Blake would probably choose Josh Groban vs. Snoop Dogg, and Christina would probably choose Elvis vs. an Elvis impersonator.

20. MykTek

MykTek Member

I'm a Dia fan! :grin:
    she's cute and a pretty good singer, alittle timid though, but it works for her.