1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wolves Open to Move No. 2 Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKCITY, May 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

We don't have our own pick next year

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If we're in the lottery (which is a high probability since we're rebuilding) we keep our lotto-protected pick.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We do have our first round pick next year if we are in the lotto.

We traded a lotto protected pick to the Nets.

4. TheGoldenGreek

Will players be able to be part of trades on draft day? Or will teams only be allowed to trade picks like they did in the NFL draft?

5. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

You are correct, my apologies

6. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I don't know if this is possible... as others have posted, OKC is really high on Harden. That being said, I absolutely LOVE this scenario and would be giddy if we could somehow pull it off.

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think, that this team won`t be able to sign a first class free agent - those players seem to not want to got to Houston, for whatever reason. So I do believe, we need to get our superstar through the draft. So I´d be reall open to a trade up. I didn`t watch college basketball much, and don`t know if a real superstar can be found there this year. But when a team is open to a trade this early, I think we could pull it off without overpaying.

Our only really tradeable pieces are probably K-Mart and Scola. Minny already has a real good PF in Love - so we`d have to package K-Mart with a pick or two. If we somehow could snatch the 2nd pick and Rubio for K-Mart and one or two first rounders, that would be great.

Oh, and I´d love that trade scenario by Seven. Getting the 2nd pick and James Harden for Scola, Martin and the 24th pick seems like a huge win. And the good thing: the trade makes sense for the thunder (they get a borderline allstar and proven winner at their only weak position - a great move to win now for them. And all they have to give up is role players with potential) - and for Minny as well - although I think it might take more than the 24th pick.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

touche...

9. h0uston83

h0uston83 Member

The fact of the Matter is...Kevin Martin is a liability on the DEFENSIVE END.

Just think of it this way-- Martin tends to ALWAYS need help on the player he guards...that takes away one of our defender to help out every time.

Granted, I understand the concept of "team defense", etc. BUT imagine having to help out Martin EVERY TIME?!

It puts more work on our Team Defense and cuts some of our overall Chemistry in believing your own teammate to do his part on the defensive end.

I would definitely trade Kevin Martin for that 2nd overall pick. Move Lee to the starting SG position. And Draft either Derrick Williams or Enes Kanter.

I think we'll be in good shape, if that pans out...

Yes Martin can "Score" but so can Scola and everyone else on our TEAM.

TEAM BASKETBALL. TEAM DEFENSIVE. WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

1 person likes this.
  10. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Stay away from that #2, that pick is cursed.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

signed,

Kevin Durant.

12. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

this

also signed Darko Milicic

wait wut

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

OKC is not trading James Harden for anyone on the Rockets roster.

Top 5 picks are what separate the great teams from the mediocre teams. Trading KMart, Scola, Lowry - whatever it takes outside of PPat - is something the Rockets have to try although I doubt Minnesota is interested. Both Derrick Williams and Enes Kanter give Houston the size and potential they are severely lacking.

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yes we do. The pick we traded was "Lottery Protected", if the rockets commit to rebuilding next year, we're going to be using our own Lottery pick in next years draft.

15. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

so on one hand... we can keep kevin martin add height trough free agency and more salary to our cap and see IF it works out in the playoffs and lose our draft pick in the process in a season full of uncertainties or rebuild properly send Martin and Hill for this years 2nd pick, suck next year aquire a high draft pick it possibly might be a stud and we will be set for years... why delay the inevitable... we have to rebuild.

16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

To the people opposed to trading Kevin Martin... Yes, he is the most efficient scorer in the league. Yes, he is foul magnet. Yes, he can score 25 a game off of 12-15 shots. But, what's the point of scoring 25 points per game, when you give up about 15-20 points a night on the defensive end? Take away all the points he gives up on defense, and what do you have? Defense wins championships.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

I'm 70% sure this was Morey's plan all along. The San Antonio "tank for a year and stack up" plan.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Point differential wins championships.

25-15 = 10
    25 - 20 = 5

Both of those are championship type point differential.

There's more to it than that. You have to factor in his turnovers, steals, and assists to see how many possessions he is actually using to get those points and how many extra possessions he is creating to offset some of those turnovers.

19. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

There is one big reason for trading Kevin Martin: we are more than one piece away from being a true contender AND other teams will really want him for his efficiency and nice contract.

That means we can really get nice pieces for rebuilding when we trade him. Whether it is the 2nd pick or some young players with huge potential.

The only reason for keeping him would be, that we think we can be a contender in the next 2 years - I don`t believe we can. Big name free agents don`t come to the rockets, with the 14th pick in the draft we won`t get a superstar and if we trade for one, we`d have to give up assets.

So get as much as you can for Martin and rebuild through the draft.

20. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

I think the price to "attempt to contend next year" is too big for us to pass on a possible trade for the 2nd pick.

First, we can't guarantee a championship run with our current roster (obviously). Depending on trades and the draft, at best we might have a dream post season like Memphis did (doubt it) but no championship. As every year passes, our players get worse or depreciate in value excluding Pat and Lowry. So our chances of competing with this roster drops every year that we rely on Scola and Martin and our assets net us less and less in trades.

But like someone stated earlier, if we attempt to compete, we lose out on the 2nd pick and our 2012 pick next year. We also risk Martin's value. What if he gets injured? Starts sucking? Martin's value is high at the moment and his potential to make us a contender is low, so trade him for a potential superstar. Only because Martin is being dealt, doesn't mean he isn't a good/efficient player. We just don't need him at this point in our journey.

This year's draft is in fact weak, but dealing for this pick could possibly open the opportunity to draft a stud next year. If we go into rebuilding mode (a trade for this pick wouldn't necessary mean that) then we have an opportunity at a lottery 2012 pick. Two consecutive lottery picks will bring more life to this franchise then Martin can, even if they don't pan out.

Also drafing a stud rookie can bring in Howard or CP3. We could have a nice piece that interests those teams but also we can't count out the possibility of the rookie being a dominant player who can attract these players in free agency. We could use the rookie player like a Derrick Favors chip or hope the player develops into a Blake Griffin monster. If the draftee is a good/great player, Howard, Williams, or CP3 may be open to teaming up them. You don't think Williams or CP3 may consider the Clips because of Griffin? Even if it's unlikley, it increases our chances.

Kahn likes dsyfunctional players, I think Martin, Williams, and pick will get it done. They may even want Dragic.

This trade would improve our destiny.

1 person likes this.