1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One bad year in college?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vstexas09, May 12, 2011.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cwYJxNnABp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I actually was so close to selecting Texas. Apparently there were tons of Texas alumni at Arizona and I got a great feel for the program. I couldn't decide between the two, I was stuck and I just ran out of time. By the time I realized Texas was perfect for me it was April 18th and time expired. I have to admit, while they were assholes to me at first, they really stepped up their game in the stretch, but much like my beloved Houston Rockets, Texas stepped up a bit too late... Who knows, I might try and transfer after my first year...

As for school, even med schools look at your performance near the end, not the beginning. Ochem is super easy if you have a good book. YouTube is your friend when it comes to science classes. I can't tell you how many MIT lectures saved my ass in Pchem. Like I said, if you bust your ass and have good standardized test scores you'll do fine. Apply to UA's med school. You need a 29 Mcats score and a 3.5. That's a joke in my opinion for such a strong med program...

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly what popped into my mind :grin:

Are you sure? what is it?

Oh, and OP is clearly not asian.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You made a D last semester, you retook the course, and only made a C. In addition you failed a class after a semester that should have already served as a wake up call. I'd give up being Pre-Med if I was you. Science does not appear to be your subject.

I was an accounting major, so I can hardly talk about the difficulty of a non-business major, but college shouldn't be that hard for you if you are in a major you belong in. A's are something you should have to work for, not C's.

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Actually, I am Indian. My motivation comes from my early experiences in the field. I shadowed all the time, with each time coming out, thinking that this is exactly what I want to do.

I know I have to work my butt of for the last two years, and kill the MCAT. I've switched my major from Human Bio to Public Health (newly offered), because this focuses on the practical aspects of science. I think that's what I struggle with-losing interest in the material, when half of it is not even applied. I feel as though Public Health utilizes these courses.

By the way, I am not influenced by my parents to take on this career choice. This is my own decision; different from the norm.

7. BALLhog 247 365

I was also a Human Bio major at UT so I can sympathize with you. I know, it sucks. But the fact of the matter is, the first 2 years of Medical/Dental/whatever is an onslaught of those same undergrad classes, x2. You're gonna have to learn to not lose interest in the material, or you probably won't do well if you make it to med school either.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The world needs nurses & PA's too...really.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Those actually pay a lot of money.

10. AXG

AXG Member

Unless it's a course you failed, there's no point in re-taking it. Doesn't all the courses you take count towards your GPA, or is that just my school? Anyways, unless it's a core class, take easy stufff to boost your GPA.

11. danny317

danny317 Member

you dug yourself into a pretty deep hole. you may need to take more than 1 yr off after college to do something that stands out (publication, feeding refugees in sudan, providing immunizations in afghanistan, etc...). either that or get a damn near perfect score on the mcat.

either way, youll have to have a really really good explanation about why you bombed those courses. if you get an interview, theyre gonna ask.

for now you better focus on passing your classes. If you have to retake, you better bust an A.

good luck

12. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

also math classes. I couldnt figure out infinite series and what tests to use until i looked it up on youtube.

to the op, i would suggest frequenting http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ to see what teachers are recommended and fit your learning style.

13. moose

moose Member

You are a sophomore and already taking cell biology? Aren't the prereqs for that organic 1, physio, and biochem... don't understand why you're taking so many hard classes as a sophomore.

14. moose

moose Member

nvm my previous post. read the comment.

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Stick with human bio. It's your lithmus test. If you can't maintain your interest in it long enough to understand and master the material, you won't make it in medical school. Get a mentor or study partner if you have to but learn how to learn basic science.

After two years of med school, I can say unequivocally say that the basic science is what separates from us the PA's/PT's/nurses. I just finished a class that for some reason had 2 PA students to 6 med students. The med students ended up spending four weeks teaching basic science to the PA's. They were right up there with us on counseling/ethics/laws and shockingly even the clinical management. They just weren't taught the basic science to our level. That's what makes them PA's and us doctors.

Med school sure enough does make use of all the major concepts in undergraduate biology. I'm studying for step 1 and I'm certainly having to review genetics/cell bio/biochemistry because they underlie the pathophysiology of almost every disease.

Public health in my opinion deals more with epidemiology and statistics and is useless for laying the groundwork for a medical student. By some miracle you got into med school with a public health degree, you'd get rocked by everyone else was able to take science classes and do well.

-my two cents

P.S. - I strongly suggest you keep an open mind towards PA/Nursing. Many students get into medicine for money or ego reasons without understanding the viable alternatives.

The full realization that I'm under ridiculously immense stress now (studying for my boards) and that its another 2 years to graduate then there's likely another 5-6 years of post-graduate training is starting to hit home.

PA's are salaried at $60-$80k a year, can choose to take no call, only go to school (/train) for 3 years, work only ~50 hours a week, have much cheaper malpractice AND their schooling is far easier to get into than medicine. Think about all that.

16. xcrunner51

Wow that's a steaming pile of admission essay if I ever heard it. You have an incredibly over-idealized image of medicine. Talk to those disgruntled doctors, ask them why they feel the way they do. Ask doctors how it affects their marriages and family lives. Ask them what it was like getting paid $40k and working 80+ hour weeks in their late-20's. Ask them what its like to have insurance cut their CPT codes by 50% forcing them to either see 50% more patients or lose 50% revenue. Ask them what they think about the future of healthcare and insurance.

I'm not saying all the things you use as motivation don't exist, but for Christ's sakes you appear to not know any of the downsides other you'll "have to work hard".

EDIT* the doctor is just one part of the medical team, one who arguably has the least patient contact time. Don't go on believing that a doctor is some sort of savant and all the other team members are just eye-candy. Well.... some are :)

#56 xcrunner51, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  17. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I agree with this statement... and the sad thing is, alot of people will write this on their personal statement..

1 person likes this.
  18. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Showed that quote to my girlfriend. She's a doctor and laughed - a lot. Spend more time actually studying rather than writing this crap is her advice - if you were that motivated about it you would have done more, especially after that second chance! My view is - just study your ass off from now on and see where it takes you. No excuses.

1 person likes this.
  19. xcrunner51

Can't argue with that. That's great advice! Places head back in book.

20. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

To clarify - I mean the quote you quoted :cool: