1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rumor]Jeff Van Gundy being pursued by Texas A&M

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PointForward, May 12, 2011.

1. VictorB

VictorB Member

I've seen him at UH basketball games. He's a basketball fan in general and supports the local teams. That is awesome. Can't say that too many people do that.

He'll never coach college though. Can you honestly see JVG sucking up to a 17 year old brat who thinks he's an all-star? JVG won't recruit the way college coaches have to recruit. No knuckle-heads, remember?

2. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure we've heard him express his disinterest in the recruiting aspect of college basketball. He's strictly a coach.

3. ApuN

ApuN Member

I dissagree.

Guys this young have the undivided attention of their coach. No multimillion dollar prima donnas. You are turning boys to men

He has the potential to be somewhat like Coach K. I think he probably would be surprised at how much these guys will buy into what he teaches

The only problem I see for him is the recruiting, but then he will probably only deal with "character guys" the way Coach K does.

Hes a former succesful NBA coach who has coached superstars. That should give him somewhat of an advantage in recruiting

4. YaoforPrez

YaoforPrez Member

didnt he also just recently say he'd be willing to return to the Nba even as an assistant coach?

5. Poloshirtbandit

I've heard him say in several interviews in the past that he hates there are only five fouls and doesn't want to deal with recruiting.

6. PointForward

PointForward Member

so butthurt, all the time, Mr. Jackson. Gotta applaud your persistence though. :rolleyes:

For people who can't see JVG "kissing 17 year olds asses", you're not looking at this the right way. It's Jeff freaking Van Gundy. Dude is a household name among every basketball fan. High school players would want to play under a coach who's been to the NBA finals even if he didn't "kiss their butts". Plus we would have a designated assistant (Spinelli) who would do the dirty work in recruiting while Jeff looks pretty (LOL) and takes care of the X's and O's. Not saying this is gonna happen by any means, I'm just saying it's not as outlandish as some of you are making it.

7. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I think it should be easy for him to recruit.

When you have all the top recruits only intending to play there for one year before leaving, then pretty much all of those guys will be looking for the program which can prepare them most for the NBA.

JVG has a fairly successful track record as a coach and has been around the NBA for a very long time now (he isn't like a Tim Floyd or a Kevin O'Neill, he actually won games coaching at this level).

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I recall someone on the radio asking JVG if he would coach college, he said he can't imagine himself recruiting. So, there you go.

9. parmesh

parmesh Member

No No No Cannot Do, Jeff Van Gundy Progress Would Take Long !

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, and there is no way he wants to be a recruiter.

Can you imagine JVG calling spoiled brats and visiting their parents who want to know what's in it for them? And showing up at the doorstep when for the 3rd time in the same week Calipari steps out of the house laughing it up with the father and slaps the mother on the ass (who goes "Woo, Johnny, not in front of guests), then he gives a stunned and speechless JVG a pinch on the cheek...and struts away as the lawn sprinklers along the front walk come to life to follow him out and drench poor JVG.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

JVG has a daughter that plays basketball and could be approaching college age soon. A&M (or other schools) should dangle a scholarship as part of the offer to JVG... :grin:

12. University Blue

It's Dr. Gundy, now, by the way. :grin:

13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

JVG was on 610 earlier today, talking a little bit about being offered the A&M job, his future in general, the 'wideness' of the Rockets coaching search, the playoffs and a few other things I've already forgotten :/.

<span style='text-align:left;display:block;'><p><object type='application/x-shockwave-flash' data='http://s2.wp.com/wp-content/plugins/audio-player/player.swf?m=1236370442g' width='290' height='24' id='audioplayer1'><param name='movie' value='http://s2.wp.com/wp-content/plugins/audio-player/player.swf?m=1236370442g' /><param name='FlashVars' value='&amp;bg=0xf8f8f8&amp;leftbg=0xeeeeee&amp;lefticon=0x666666&amp;rightbg=0xcccccc&amp;rightbghover=0x999999&amp;righticon=0x772124&amp;righticonhover=0xffffff&amp;text=0x666666&amp;slider=0x666666&amp;track=0xFFFFFF&amp;border=0x666666&amp;loader=0x772124&amp;soundFile=http://cbshouston.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/jvg.mp3'/><param name='quality' value='high' /><param name='menu' value='false' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#FFFFFF' /><param name='wmode' value='opaque' /></object></p></span>
    http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/05/13/jvg-breaks-down-the-nba-playoffs-and-his-future/

Sounds to me like he doesn't want to recruit.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They're also waiting on calls to Phil Jackson, Pat Riley and Red Auerbach. Plus Belichick is mulling over taking over the football program.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I hear Jerry Sloan was spotted house hunting with a realtor in College Station yesterday.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Hard to believe no one has posted this, "Wrong Forum"

17. University Blue

For me, Dr. Gundy is a Rocket for life -- just like Sura, Battier, Jon Barry.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

JVG on 1560
    Hey coach, hows it going?

Doing good.

First, how was Pro-Vision?

It was awesome. People couldnt be more generous. Raised a great amount of awareness for the job Roynell is trying to do.

Front and center with Aggie talk, what can you say?

Byrne did approach me. I told him that....other than saying that(?), I wouldnt comment on his interest. He hasnt made an offer or anything like that. Just a get to know conversation and see if you're interested. I dont know where I stand.

Recruiting allows you to change the face of your team unlike in the NBA. I think that is an advantage.

In that regard, you're right. You're like your own GM but it is completely different lifestyle. You need to recruit everyday if youre going to be successful. You have to be ready to commit to that for a long period of time. You dont want to hop around. Family considerations are as important as anything. Do you want to move? Anyone with any job has to consider that.

Sounds like this came out the blue.

I had not been thinking about this at all. I enjoyed my 3 years in college coaching but has been a long time. A lot has changed. AAU circuit has changed. Agents being involved has changed. A lot of things that have changed incredibly since I last coached in college. It did come out of the blue. Couldnt be more impressed with Byrne. He was an impressive person.

Money has changed too.

I dont know specifics about that but Donovan at Florida doing well. His kids arent missing meals.

Good to see that your name is linked to job openings? You've been out of the business for awhile now.

Not real fond of having to deal with the rumor aspect. I think that people know that I miss coaching to a degree yet happy with what I'm doing. Having a child in HS, it puts a premium on stability. A lot at play. I respect the process these people are doing. I dont like to discuss openings.

You dont want to leave Houston.

I enjoy living here but I appreciate the schools the kids go to. Its easy living. Not in the grind in terms of traffic and where I live. It is a great place to live. And where would I find better talk shows to go on?

Yeah. ... Thibodeau, how will he go about Miami?

If anyone can come up with a plan, he can. Talking about Wade and James, what you have to do, you cant give them everything. You have to take away something and that is FT line and layups. If they make jumpshots at a high rate, you may lose but I know you're losing if you let them live with layups and FT. You got to keep them off the FT line.

Put Dwayne on Rose if you were Spoelstra?

I think they'll go with Chalmers. It will be hard for Chicago to occupy Wade. Deng has to play James and Boozer has to win his matchup against Bosh.

I feel the same. I would keep Wade off Rose as much as possible.

Appreciate the time.

I wanna tell you guys this, if you wanna get to Houston to Memphis, it is the hardest ticket to get. Sitting at the airport trying to get to Memphis, if you have suggestions, let me know. ... I could put myself in a box and send me there.

Good luck rest of the series. Talk to you down the road.

Thanks guys.

1 person likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

From that text (thanks for posting), it doesn't seem completely impossible that TAMU could land him. Maybe for only a year.

As far as recruiting, there is no reason you cant send staff to handle the majority of it (again, Charlie Ward - someone who has played under JVG and at the pro level, perfect guy to recruit the big guns for JVG right?). Also, the Aggie gig will allow him free time to be on TV during the NBA playoffs, he'll be plastered all over the TV. That's gotta be a big advantage in itself.

"Inbound Recruiting" - revolutionize the way things are done...

20. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I think the Aggies' national exposure for basketball would increase significantly if JVG took the Aggie job. Make it happen Byrne! SHOW HIM THE $$$$!!