1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBC] The Voice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by liljojo, Apr 22, 2011.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

2. liljojo

liljojo Member

I didn't get that impression at all. They were pretty clear on most of their backgrounds...

Popular Youtube singer, Broadway singer, AI reject, vagrant bar singer. They covered all that. I think you just tune out Carson Daly. No worries, I do it too.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yes, but thats pretty different from:

Javier Colon- had a record deal with Capitol and released two solo albums, he also fronted a band.

Tarralyn Ramsey- won a reality show on VH1, put on an album with Universal Records, and toured with Mary J and Ray charles.

Rossi has also won a reality competition to be the lead vocalist of a group composed of Tommy Lee, Jason Newsted, and Gilby Clarke. Plus, the house band the contestants played with on that show was made up of musicians who have worked with grammy winners and music legends.

They've worked with or close to big and/or established names and have also had the resources to craft their voice. For me, it's like Chris Daughtry coming on this show after losing on AI. He's already had professional guidance, exposure, and experience in front of a large crowd. The guy is ready to go, he doesn't really need "coaches". But maybe i did tune out Daly because i got the feeling that they were all supposed to be start up musicians and that Davis had the most significant professional experience, as a broadway singer.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Interesting concept and debut show.

For what it's worth: the talent pool in The Voice completely blows Idol away. There's a handful from this opening week alone that are hands-down better than anybody on Idol right now (especially with Pia gone).

But yeah, I get it. Hard to compare the two shows and people need to quickly realize this isn't some Idol clone where 150,000 amateurs try out and only 1% of those people actual has a chance of winning. They 'weed out' these people and make this basically a competition amongst professionals.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Pretty good episode last night. This show will probably cause me to become a Maroon 5 fan. :eek: :p

Anyway, next week should be even better as we see the coaches cut half their teams (from 32 overall to 16).

Hate to say this, but I am loving this show a lot more than Idol.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

good episode. I liked the bald guy with the guitar who was the last one picked by Blake. I think he sang a Dixie Chicks song there at the end after doing something non-country his first time

7. liljojo

liljojo Member

That half asian half white chick was really good. This show is a lot less predictable than most reality shows out there. It was kind of awkward at the end there with Levine by himself there, and I lol'ed at the girl getting rejected the second time.

I'm really excited for the battle rounds. I'd like to see how the four of them fare as coaches.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm really liking Adam's team.

9. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Adam's team is definitely the force to be reckoned with right now. It'll be interesting to watch Cee-Lo's team, though, because I think he can really bring something fresh and new to the table.

The best singer on the show, even after this week, is Javier Colon.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Can't believe the amount of non-female interest in this show.

I have no desire whatsoever to tune in to this show and I'm sick of the commercials hyping it. Then again I don't care to watch Glee or American Idol either.

11. liljojo

liljojo Member

How is this anything like Glee?

If you don't like talent shows on TV, it should be fairly obvious that you wouldn't want to watch this. Nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't mean it's a bad show, just not your cup of tea (or coffee, if you prefer).

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The Voice has nothing to do nor resembles in any form "Glee". American Idol is a different story, obviously but they have enough differences, that it makes it fresh to me.

Some of it has to do with your taste in music but a lot of it comes down to, IMO, your appetite for reality TV. I have found myself in the last couple of years more of a fan of reality TV and as a result, I like shows like AI and The Voice.

13. liljojo

liljojo Member

Ok, so I just realized that Dia Frampton is the other half of Meg & Dia.

I'm surprised their label dropped them. They put out some pretty good music. Guess I know who I'm pulling for.

So far I agree with all of the judges' decisions, although I would've paired up some people differently.

Oh, and that Casey girl is gonna go far. I couldn't put my finger on who she reminded me of, then Adam chose that Stevie song and it clicked. Genius song selection on that one.

14. University Blue

Blake Shelton chose the lesser, country "voice" instead of the gay contestant Cee-Lo, Adam thought was the better singer.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Absolutely was. And right after I was wondering myself if Shelton only chose the Cowboy because the other guy was gay. Every judge named the other guy as the better one.

What I don't get is this 1on1 sessions right before the performances where the two singers "give advice" to one of the performers. Seems biased.. not really a fan of that.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

To be fair, Blake is an idiot. The gay Mormon had such a range on his voice and he took that Elvis song and made it his own. I was disappointed in both Blake and Adam. The girl Adam chose was hot, but that's pretty much all she had going for her. Her voice makes my ears bleed...

1 person likes this.
  17. sew

sew Member

Caught last weeks episode. Show is legit entertainment.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I thought the country guy did a better job. He had a stronger voice, a deeper voice more suited for an Elvis song. If there was bias involved, it was in the song selection. It was definitely more up the country guys alley and if it had been a more soulful song the other guy may have done better.

The one thing the other guy did that I hated is that he tried to stylize the song too much. He was trying to bring his soulful approach to the song and was trying to play with the rhythm and lay back. That approach may work with other songs, but with "Burnin' Love", you need to be right on the beat and find another way to make it your own. As a result, he was behind the beat. His entrances were late and instead of sounding soulful, it just felt like he was dragging. Also, towards the end, some of his falsetto was out of tune. Meanwhile the country guy was right on the beat and nailed it rhythmically. He had the feel necessary for that song.

I disagreed with Adam's selection and for me it came down to the girls vibrato. I hated it. Maybe she was just trying to channel Stevie Nicks, but using that type of diaphragm vibrato, Stevie has refine it and the one the girl had was very choppy. Nerves may have been playing a part. I think the duet fell apart when they started singing together because here vibrato just felt so out of place when another person was singing. I do think she's a good singer and hopefully if she does a song by another artist, she'll drop that vibrato.

#58 Cannonball, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  19. liljojo

liljojo Member

Maybe it's just my recent taking to country music, but I thought that Cowboy stood out much more than Gay Mormon. He had quite a bit more stage presence, and "convinced" me of that song more. The other guy has a lot of vocal ability and nailed the runs, but I just didn't as passionate of a vibe from him.

Could have been the song selection, since Cowboy was more familiar with it, and he sounds more like Elvis.

On a side note, what kind of singer doesn't know "Burnin' Love"? Shame on him.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm not going to pretend to be a music guy, I have no idea how to truly judge someone. I just know I felt I enjoyed the gay Morman's way of doing that song over the Cowboys.

Here's the video for those who didn't get to see and want to chime in:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Jw7ZtxckG0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Song starts at 4:30