1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff Matchup Round 2: Lakers (2) vs Mavericks (3)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by underrated015, Apr 29, 2011.

?

Which team in how many games

Poll closed May 29, 2011.
  1. Lakers in 4

16 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Lakers in 5

32 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Lakers in 6

58 vote(s)
    26.0%
  4. Lakers in 7

39 vote(s)
    17.5%
  5. Mavs in 4

90 vote(s)
    40.4%
  6. Mavs in 5

25 vote(s)
    11.2%
  7. Mavs in 6

49 vote(s)
    22.0%
  8. Mavs in 7

26 vote(s)
    11.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Phil's response: "First of all, you don't smoke peyote."

LOL.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You're adding the "from legit sources along with their credentials" garbage when you know it's not what I said. You can poke fun all you want - that's fine. Just don't be upset when I point out that your argument has no real substance to it, because several of us have asked for examples (on precedent) and you still haven't shown it.

Don't forget, you're the one who brought up precedent in the first place.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

You can react to a pitch that's coming for you. A HBP to your arm or back isn't the same thing as a collapsed lung or broken rib. Get this archaic thug mentality out of here.

4. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Every great coach has had great players. 11 rings is 11 rings no matter how you look at it.

5. Apps

Apps Member

It's just a bad analogy all around that really has no pertinence at all to the cheap shot we saw Bynum dish out. And now v3.0 isn't even putting out an argument, and is trying to incite a little tiff with The Cat. You can really tell that those two posters have a point to make!

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

He asked for evidence for the behavior you're referencing to and you admit you have nothing but one other poster's support?

8. OpportunityCost

If he has the nerve to try and marginalize the Rocket's championships, well, his championships are fair game for marginalization.

9. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Not a Kobe or Lakers fan but nice to see that they know right from wrong and can have some semblance of class.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm so glad U-Verse picked up NBA TV. I like the post-game interviews so much more than the chattering heads on ESPN.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Here's one that's pretty recent, not even old school (I'm going to guess this doesn't satisfy the old school argument and you want the game clock and score in this example, which I don't have). And I'm going to guess you are going to argue the level of the hard fouls and how the 2 today don't equate to what happened in the example. I'm not going to argue that the 2 today were excessive.

The point is, players don't like it when the score is being run up against them. Especially the players who's been out there the majority of the time.

And if you're asking my personal opinion, I'd say take a shot only after 10 seconds are left on the shot clock. No matter how open the player is, shooting the ball or driving in with about 15 seconds or more left on the shot clock is considered running up the score. Again, just my opinion.

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/03/03/jared.dudley.admits.hard.foul.rondo.was.intentional

12. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Such nonsense. You want to stop another team from running up the score? Play some defense.

13. The Cat

Are you being serious here?

Take one look at the replay - the video link is in what you provided. Rondo shot the ball with one second remaining IN THE ENTIRE GAME and the Celtics leading by 10. AKA, Rondo could have dribbled the clock out, but chose to jack up a three.

There is absolutely no comparison to running a set offense with 10 minutes left in a game and hoisting up a meaningless three with ONE SECOND left and a double-digit lead. One is running up the score; the other is not.

14. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

NEVER thought I'd be so happy to see the Mavs win a series!

15. The Cat

Aside from the lack of comparison to the Dudley incident, my other question is when the above "rule" starts? Keep in mind, it was only two weeks ago that the Mavs lost a game they led by 23 with a minute or two left in the third quarter.

Even in extreme scenarios of 25+ point games, I don't agree with the "no shooting or driving until 10 seconds left" until you're at least halfway into the fourth quarter, if that. I find it completely ridiculous to apply it in the opening moments of the fourth quarter. Just my opinion, of course. I do agree with your rule, at some point - I just don't think the game had anywhere near reached the "take the air out of the ball" stage when Odom/Bynum delivered their cheap shots.

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Let me help you with some perspective.

You arent happy Dallas won, you are happy LA lost.
    Try not to think about who won...it helps a bit.

btw...regardless of if Dirkiepoo acted a little, the effort by Odom is apparent for anyone to see. He put his weight into that shoulder\elbow and rammed it into that tall german goober.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

No it's not apples to apples, but how do you know what the players think is running up the score. That's your opinion, and you don't know what they're thinking while the game is going on.

Barea started driving toward the basket with about 13 seconds left on the shot clock AND elbowed the man guarding him pretty hard before the drive. To me you're laying on the extra mustard with that sequence.

18. The Cat

If a player doesn't see the difference in obvious showboating/stat-padding with one second remaining and nearly nine minutes, he should be subject to immediate drug testing and would probably face a suspension for that. :)

19. SynergySin

SynergySin Member

I am absolutely DISGUSTED with Andrew Bynum. The league needs to end his career and permanently ban him from the NBA before he ends killing or seriously injuring some guy trying to make a living out there.

He is putting people in serious, serious, SERIOUS danger when he pulls that crap. It's absolutely uncalled for, and absolutely unwanted.

20. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Handing the ball over and helping your opponents make the lead smaller just so you don't hurt their feelings when it's over isn't old school NBA.

These are grown, adult men.