1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are talking to Brian Shaw about the head coaching vacancy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Apr 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. MONON

MONON Member

Shaw's ok with me!

2. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

Not going to happen, unless somehow Rick ends up being #1 choice for the Lakers.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

While reading the Shaw story, found this:
    May have already been posted

Indiana Pacers interim head coach Frank Vogel is also expected to interview with Houston should the Pacers decide not to retain Vogel on a full-time basis.

4. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Good find.

I was listening to Larry Bird's Exit Press Conference the other day.
    Bird said he Vogel would have the first and last interview, but he wanted to interview a few of other guys as well.

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Offer him all the money he wants!

6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

was he interviewed by the Rox this weekends?

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's your guy's deal with Shaw? I don't want any former Laker on this team.

I don't want a Knick (JVG), I don't want a King (RA), I want a Rocket! (Junkyard Dog & Sam I AM)

8. MandM's

MandM's Member

it won't be bshaw. it will have to be a coach who is ok with being told what to do.

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not sold on Shaw. Why do we want him?

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This might attract him.

He won't be riding coat tails here. This will be his young hungry team.

He won't have to deal with Kobe. We all saw what happened to Rudy T.

He won't have a team full of children. The team is young but not lost.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

why is everyone so pumped up about Shaw? What has he shown you that Cassell hasn't? Neither has had experience, nor have they been in the media much as a coach...so it's all 99% conjecture on your part. To be SO different in your opinion on Shaw vs. a lot of the other guys seems ridiculous

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I'm not necessarily pumped up about Shaw, but I think he'd make a better coach than Cassell.

Is it conjecture? Absolutely. But that's what it comes down to pretty much all those guys since only few of the guys the Rockets seem to consider have head coaching experience.

Shaw seems to have more of a coaches personality and has been an assistant for six years. He's worked for one of the best teams in the league and for arguably the best coach in the NBA.
    Sam Cassell has been an assistant for one year under Flip Saunders.

I understand the former Rockets side of it, but to be honest I couldn't care less. I want the best guy. Whether it's a former Rockets player, a Lakers coach or some random dude from China.
    Unless all else equal, Elie or Casell or Sikma shouldn't get any bonus points, just because they played or coached here.

Just my opinion though. Feel free to disagree.

1 person likes this.
  13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I guess that stuff makes sense. But to me, who the hell knows Shaw's real personality aside from seeing him jabber on the bench occasionally without hearing him? And who knows if he's learned from Phil or not? I like the assumption...but he could easily be a career assistant. Without talking to the guy or at LEAST hearing him talk to the media about coaching, I feel like we're super blind

Cassell could have all the basics he needs and may have picked up all of Flip's good points and none of his stupidity.

These assistant coaches are just never really spotlighted, so I think any assumptions have no basis. I'd rather trust that Morey will hire the right guy for the right reasons, rather than hiring a former Rocket for that reason

14. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I do feel like Shaw has to have a pretty good chance at the job if he wants it. One of the few speculations that seems to be concensus is that the Rocket will likely go for a younger coach.

I'm intrigued about the idea of giving Chris Finch a shot. At the very least, as an assistant. I don't pay too much attention to the D-League, but with the revolving door of players he must be doing something right to have them in the final consistantly. He seems to have won wherever he goes. Of course, the question is whether or not that will translate to the NBA.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Appears Finch wont get his shot here(based on most recent article just posted there in the GARM)

16. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

OK I see that now. Looks like they made it clear that he is not in the running for head coach, but might still be added as an assistant, correct? That's fine by me. Wouldn't expect a franschise like the Rockets to put some guy from the D-League in as head coach right off the bat. Despite the many questionable decisions they tend to make in general...

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Unfortunately,that's somewhat true.

18. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I don't get what the fuss is about with Shaw. Is he even the main assistant on the Lakers? I thought it was that fat white dude with glasses.

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

How long have you been an NBA fan?

edit: I realized this could come off as abrasive.. I only asked because I remember when Shaw was playing for the Lakers. His final year was 02-03.

double edit: It was pointed out how I misread your post. Ignore the above, I'm stupid.

#39 LongTimeFan, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Please no Brian Shaw. I don't want some coach to come in here and try to teach the triangle offense to the Rockets. It would certainly set them back several years.