1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greg Gumbel

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dusty Bottoms, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

I think he was the guy doing the play by play with Tolbert last night (Lakers/Kings). It might just be me but I think I'm going to puke if I have to listen to him say "That was a SICK move!" everytime Kobe drives to the hoop this season. Ack. It's going to be a looooooong season.:eek:

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

gross dude

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't know the name of the guy who did last night's game but it wasn't Greg Gumbel. The guy doing last night's game usually does college basketball games.

4. Truth

Truth Member

No, It was Mike Tirico.

5. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Slightly off topic, but who the hell hooked Tom Tolbert up with a job covering the NBA? :confused:

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Mike Tirico isn't that bad. If not, he is under-rated.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He was NBC's pick to fill in for Jayson Williams when he got arrested. NBC hit the jackpot as Tolbert really took off. ESPN only hired Tolbert and Walton from NBC and then used their own talent to fill out their broadcasting roster. In my mind Tolbert is one of the best color guys in the game. His takes are fresh and he seems to really tell it like it is.

Chris

8. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

All brothers look the same to you?

9. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

I wasn't watching the broadcasters. I was listening, and yes, apparently I got their voices confused. Of course if Tom Tolbert would start saying stupid stuff like "What a TERRIBLE shot" every single time someone misses a shot I might confuse him with Bill Walton but I doubt anyone would care then.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I am not that found of Thothm Thollbert.

Well that probably isn't PC or a nice thing to say, but I am just not overly impressed with him. And I used to hear him on the radio a lot in the Bay Area.