1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[E-Cigs]Quitting cigarettes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roxboys, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Roxboys

Roxboys Member

Just wondering peoples opinions that have tried these Electronic Cigarettes. Have a couple friends that swear by them and went from smoking a pack + a day to not even smoking the E-Cig anymore. Sick of this habit and looking to quit for good.

2. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

A friend of mine and a couple of coworkers tried the E-Cigs over the last couple of years and they are no longer smoking it, but they are back to the real thing. That could be because they didn't really want to quit. I don't know. They probably wanted to but were not ready to. (If that makes any sense.)

I tried to quit a couple times but it never lasted long. It wasn't until my 3rd try that I succeeded and I think that was because I really didn't want to before. I found the key to me quitting was forgetting that I smoked.

If you think about it, smoking is a ritual thing:

wake up - smoke a cig
    hop in the car - spark it up
    at you destination - time for another
    while you decide what you want to order to eat - have a cig
    after your meal - have another
    if I know I can't have one for a while - smoke one real quick even though I just had one.

Once I was able to forget those moments it became easy. It took about 3 to 4 months for to become very easy.

I took it a week at a time. The first couple of weeks were very hard. After that I thought to myself , "wow it's been 3 weeks" until it slowly became "wow, it's been 2 months since my last cig."

Small victories help you win the war.

3. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

it worked for me for like a week till the damn thing broke and spilled nicotine in my mouth but of course i bought the damn thing in alabama so i couldnt just go down the street to return it so basically i spent like a hundred bucks to quit for a week. :mad:

4. ashiin

ashiin Member

I have a couple of ecigs not because I wanted to quit smoking but because I couldn't use my hookah in my dorm room (and I didn't have one either for a good semester). It's good for what it's meant to be, I know a couple of guys who have quit smoking because of the ecig, you might feel silly smoking it in public but it also gives you reason not to smoke. Love the different flavors and there are different levels of nicotine that you can get so you can start out a little heavy and then slowly go down towards 0 nic.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As Mark Twain once said, "Quitting smoking is easy: I've done it a thousand times."

I just quit for lent. Approaching 50 days now. Wish me luck. I definitely had to go cold turkey, but this isn't my first try.

Agree with Blatz,

The key seems to be forgetting I smoke. That said, I also took a month off going to bars. That was key, too. Drink and smoking go so well together...oops...sorry shouldn't have said that.

6. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Hop on the pot - light one up
    After doing the nasty - light one up
    Drinking a beer - light one up
    Play a game of basketball - light one up

The list goes on and on.

7. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Eh, I quit smoking for four years then started back up again. Now I only smoke on my days off and don't smoke at work. Should be the other way around no?

I would quit but... why? Makes me feel good and we all gotta die some time. I'll probably get killed by something else soon any way so **** it. Life's short!

8. Roxboys

Roxboys Member

For me it is the other way around. I deliver food for work and go to school. On my days off I smoke a lot less. But when I'm delivering food its non stop chain smoking. Thinking about maybe changing jobs just because I am so used to lighting one up on the way to my delivery and on the way back every single delivery.

9. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

How many is that a day??:eek:

On my days off, I only smoke like 5-10

10. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I bought the V2 Cigs for my dad, step-mom, step-sister and half sister. I've been told they've done wonders. My dad was at 2 packs a day, but now he said he's smoking about 6-8 cigarettes a day. I ordered the maximum nicotine cartridges, but was told they're pretty strong, so they're going to drop down to the next level (fine with me!). The reason I ordered from there was because they had some MAJOR discounts, and to this day I get discounts from them via email. You could probably sign up to receive them. Here is what I ordered them:

Couples Kit - $149.95 (paid $88.37)
    (2) cases - $7.99 (paid $5.43)
    (2) Flavor Samplers - $14.95 (paid $10.17)
    Shipping - $5.45

So it was about $125 total, not too bad. I have an email for 20% off 4/22-4/24, so I guess that one is over, but they come out about once per month.

Anyway, I've been told everyone has cut back and they are working their ways toward quitting by reducing the amount of nicotine in the cartridges each time they order more. The only thing I don't like is that they're still smoking regular cigarettes, even if it's been drastically reduced. I guess I can't complain, and I've also never smoked, so I don't know how hard the temptation must be.

Good luck with your search and good luck quitting!

Pugs

11. rage

rage Member

+1
    +1

What does it mean? If you want to quit, you can do it cold turkey. If you don't, nothing can help you.
    If you still think smoking is good, you can never quit. You have to see and buy into the benefits of not smoking, then you can make it work.

12. updawg

updawg Member

Allen carr's Easyway to quit is a good book

13. SacTown

SacTown Member

I use the ecigs made by blu. They helped me quit. These are the ones I used:

blu cigs

14. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

wow, they're actually cheaper than cigarettes. I think I might give these a shot.

15. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Only robots smoke E-cigs.

LEGALIZE mar1juana DAMN IT!!!

16. rmtheis

rmtheis Member

I've been on e-cigs for quite a while (posted on FFB's e-cig thread long ago) and I love them. The best price/quality point I've found is cignot.com with the 510 no box kit running $35 and free shipping for orders of $59+.

I'll still smoke a cigarette or two when drinking a lot, but most days it's exclusively the e-cigarettes. I was about a pack a day when I smoked full time.

Also, I don't plan on quitting my nicotine - I just didn't want all of the other garbage in cigs.

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Bump....

Really need to quit this crap. This thread is two years old. Maybe some things changed.

I'm not sure where to begin this search and how to go about this. Anybody have experience? Or know of good e cigs to recommend? Thanks in advance. Will rep..

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm curious, too. I smoke maybe a pack a week...which is stupid and pointless. I just can't bring myself to completely stop. I've tried 1 e-cig and it tasted horrible. Just need something to have with me when I'm in the situations I typically smoke (driving, at a bar/drinking socially).

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Same here, I smoke like 3 a day so a pack lasts about a week. Its the morning routines on the way to work, etc, or on the way home especially, that I always feel the need to smoke.

But I'd like a e cig that is either odorless or smokeless, so you can smoke indoors in public places like restaurants or bars, or maybe even at work. Not sure how much they smell or would bother other people. But yeah, I'd like to smoke it anywhere, when I'm out or at home. :eek:

20. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Good for you man. Will power is the biggest factor. When my girl was pregnant with our second child, I had promised her to quit cigs before my little one came aboard. Couldn't be happier for my family's health and for mine. Don't waste your money on those e cigs, I know 2 guys that tried them and ended up going back to the real thing. Chew gum or lift weights etc to take the edge off when craving one.

1 person likes this.