1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moreys worst move (probably not what u would think)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JMAD21, Apr 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Trading away the 25th pick of the 2008 draft, Nicoles Batum!

After reading an article that mentioned most of his moves, I realized that all have been risky but most have paid off well. But God only knows what he was thinking when he chose Darrell Arthur and Joey Dorsey over this guy!

Kinda Random I know, but just had to get it off my chest...

2. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

J mad bro?

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Can't bat 100. Passing up on DeAndre Jordan was worse given our current state.

We did get the 45th pick of the draft. Spurs - Goran Dragic :)

4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Ya, overall, I love moray. But that was just not smart lol

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Like Morey has said more than once, you have maybe a 10-15% chance of a player taken that late becoming a regular rotation player in the league. You will drive yourself nuts thinking about missed second rounders, like DeAndre or Rashard. The true blunders are blowing no. 1 or no. 2 picks, like taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan, Odom over Durant, etc. (Battier over Gay ;)).

When a Tom Brady lasts till the sixth round, or an Albert Pujos lasts until the 13th round, its hard to say it was a blunder on the part of a particular GM.

6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

If u can trade the 25th pick for the 27, 33, and future early second rounder, you do it. That future second rounder, i believe helped us ship out francis for future flexibility. It's hard to play should of, would of, could of with the draft but names aside, you have to see what looks good before drafting. It's a lot like setting a limit before going to Vegas.

7. bugerking3

bugerking3 Member

*headdesk*

Which would you rather have?

25th pick

OR

28th pick
    33rd pick
    future early 2nd round pick?

Saying we should have drafted Batum instead of trading him is another way of saying

Its obvious that there's a huge dropoff in talent in the 3 spots between the 25th and 28th pick such that 33rd pick AND a future early second is not enough to compensate for those 3 spots.

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Plus we ended up using the pick from this trade #28 to get Artest who at the time of the deal made houston a legit championship contender. Obviously things didnt work out but it was the right move. Batum was taken partially to c**kblock the spurs who had the next pick from taking him. Which makes trading him afterwards ok.

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

What the hell is this?

Getting Batum screwed over SA (+1), was traded for more picks which wasn't even intended to be kept (+1), and flipped it for an all star level player and former DPOY. It made this team a legit CONTENDER and clutchfans had such an influx of traffic that only members were allowed to read content.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Think about it, what this team was looking for back then was a legit third option, and they not only did that but bolstered their defense for late picks, picks that have been sold for chump change before.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The obvious answer is the #25th pick -- Nicolas Batum. The Rockets missed on him, it does suck. Especially when we knew the Spurs were interested.. if I hear the Spurs are interested in an international guy, I'm drafting him and keeping him.

Though to be historically correct:

-The Rockets did not chose Batum to keep him, but rather chose him FOR the Portland Trailblazers. If they did not trade the 25th pick, I have no idea who they would have taken.. I'm not sure we ever found that out.

-The Rockets did not want Arthur, but chose him because they knew Memphis liked him. By doing so, they were able to trade back again to get the guy they really wanted -- Donte Greene.

-So, IOW, I'd say the deal was Batum for Dorsey and Donte Greene -- still not great. :(

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If IIRC, he technically didnt trade away Batum, but rather the pick...portland told him who to draft. Can you imagine what the spurs woud have done with Batum and not having to spend so much on RJ?

13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

the worst move by morey has nothing to do with the trades. i believe letting tom t walk away is the worst move. we now see a rising star sitting in bulls coach seat.

1 person likes this.
  14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I understand nobody really thought he'd be as good as he is now, I just think u take him over Dorsey easily!! Even when they both had some question marks!

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Please explain to me how did Morey choose Joey Dorsey over Batum when Batum was picked higher.

Makes no sense.

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

A whole heck of a lot of teams passed on Jordan, for very obvious reasons. Batum has turned into a nice player but is he a difference maker?

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Because we traded Batum for Dorsey.

I actually cant think of anything that is easier to understand!

Maybe im misinterpreting your post lol

18. arjun

arjun Member

shut up....hindsight is 20/20

i bet during the draft wen the pick was traded you or anyone else for that matter did not care or even KNOW who batum was.....

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Didn't the trade with Portland turn into Darrell Arthur to Memphis for Donte Greene... and then Donte Greene to Sacramento for Ron Artest?

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

We didn't trade Batum for Dorsey! And we didn't pick Dorsey over De Andre Jordan either! The Rox' real trade target at the time was Greene. Instead of picking him straight up DM decided he'd be all fancy and pay Greene a cheaper salary while screwing up the Spurs' FO in the process; he drafted Batum (whom the Spurs wanted), then shipped him to the blazers for another player and Dorsey. That player was then traded to the Grizzlies for Greene.

Most people ASSUME that the Rox specifically told the Blazers to pick Dorsey over Jordan. I haven't really read anything saying that however people take it as fact. To me, the more plausible scenario is that the Blazers picked Dorsey for themselves, and we bargained for him as a throw-in while we were negotiating a deal with Memphis.