1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Rick Adelman is out as Houston Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by karthik.08, Apr 18, 2011.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

amen.

2. jorgef09

jorgef09 Member

Rick Adelman did deserve better and was brought in to coach a tragic situation that had potential. Adelman was primed to coach the TMac and Yao era with some great role players (Chuck, Carl Landry, etc.). Adelman had the formula for a championship, but his stars got injured and it all ended tragically.

Thanks Rick, for doing your best.

With that said I'm very worried about the team next year. Sure, the Rockets might not have been any good on defense, but the Rick Adelman offense was incredible, among the best in the league, and extremely fun to watch. However, it took this group a little while to fully learn the system (look at their record before the All-Star Break). Chances are that they are going to have to learn a new system, which could be a problem after being comfortable with Rick's system. I can see the Rockets struggling at the beginning of next season just like they struggled this season.

Will we lose the motion offense and thus lose the emerging passing ability of Chuck Hayes?

A positive could be that the Rockets cut Brad Miller.

Summer 2011 is going to have a big impact.

3. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I honestly don't think you've watched many Rockets games either.

The offense was among the most efficient (due to Adelman). Everybody shared the ball (due to Adelman), and we played as a TEAM. Since you stated we should go in a different direction, I'm curious to know what direction that is?

4. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

:eek:
    Ok. I admit even I didn't know he had the highest winning %.

Great, that really helps make an already idiotic decision look like ****.

5. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Agreed

It's hard to watch a team play so hard under a great coach only to have ownership break it up for financial reasons. Especially while the other two Texas teams both have coaches who have owners who actually back them. That's the difference between a owner and organization who's trying to win, and a organization who's being cheap and lowballing for draft picks

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So you fire a hall of fame coach and you're going to replace him with Mike Brown? Is that some kind of sick joke? Les, it's time to sell buddy. You've been milking this cow and giving us nothing to show for it for way too long now.

7. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

If we're getting rid of dead wood, can we also get rid of our 7' 6" stiff?

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol, look back in the game threads and say I haven't watched many games. And have been around here to know that at one point most of CF wanted Rick outta here.

The Rockets are rebuilding. That should have been clear once Yao went out. And Adelman clearly was not down with that.

This is a move teams make A LOT of times throughout NBA history. They get rid of a great coach because in reality that person is keeping them from moving on.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

This is the thing, if you part ways with Adelman please don't go with some retread. No Brown, Woodson or someone like that. Either be innovative or get another HOF caliber guy.

10. mag

mag Contributing Member

This team was not going anywhere with current players. It is time to rebuild!!!!

11. worzel gummidge

Who's responsible for signing the curent players and how many remaining are from the JVG era?

2 people like this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

whose fault is that?

it was rick's fault he was presented with such a **** roster?

He signed up to coach tmac/yao, not this.

How about this analogy, your arm is broke, but lets go amputate your leg because you weren't ok.

13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

hate getting beaten to the punch but yup. +10

14. inishi

inishi Member

So you're honestly going to look at our roster, the injuries that have plagued his team, then look at adlemans resume and what he did for this team and say the coach is holding the team back. A team starting a 6'6 center with almost no defensive presence across the board to speak of? One of the best offenses in the league, and when they had the personnel, a very solid defense?

Just because its a move that is made often does not mean it is a smart one. People commmit suicide all the time buddy, just because it happens alot doesn't mean its a good idea. One of the most ignorant posts I have seen, and a pretty dumb way to run a team imo.

15. thejav

thejav Member

I hope this means Miller will leave also...

16. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

A complete statistical analysis is way more crucial to basketball than experience, proven methods, credentials, and an understanding for the game :rolleyes:.

And despite what most people say, I do believe morey played a considerable part. Mostly due to adelman's comment about not being informed about integral decisions about his own team. When you're the one that has to command the troops every other day, some other person shuffling up squads and the gameplan would irritate anybody.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep. You should look at how teams rebuild in the NBA. Being mediocre and then at the same time playing the older players is not the ideal way of becoming a contender again. In fact it just makes sure you are mediocre again.

Also comparing this to suicide is very ignorant.

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Unlike most "mutual parting of ways" i think this is truly mutual and he'll coach a true contender next year or in years to follow. (Heat??)

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty pissed. I almost want a refund on my season tickets for next year.

20. Marteen

Marteen Member

I'd like to see you try, big boy.