1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Rick Adelman is out as Houston Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by karthik.08, Apr 18, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rick Adelman deserved better.
    So did JVG and Rudy T.

This season was one of the best coaching jobs I've seen, we got a winning record out of this without any all stars.

Rick The Ruler

1 person likes this.
  2. eman

eman Contributing Member

I want Brad Stevens. He's the one bright bulb in the whole chandelier of coaching prospects. Took a fairly unathletic squad to the NCAA finals two years in a row; barely missed the championship at the buzzer last year, with one future NBA scrub on the team-- compare Stevens' crew with what Calipari had at Kentucky; yeah, I'd say he's a good coach.

I don't want a recycled NBA coach. I want something new and fresh and energetic and smart. And I want a girl in a short skirt and a long jacket, but that's beside the point. Stevens is who I want to be the next Rockets coach.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I just got season tickets for next season. I do care about winning but what's the point of these 42-43 win/no playoff seasons? Great morale story but It's time to go young and get tall and athletic. Look at OKC, Bulls and Portland. They rebuild quickly and are now great teams (maybe not Portland).

Don't judge my fandom. I've been a fan since I was 10 watching the Supersonics break our hearts every year. If we aren't going anywhere we might as well take a chance with the young players and hope for some luck in the lotto. Our record these last two years won't do that.

4. hahachui

hahachui Member

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I agree, but how do we know Rick wanted to return?

6. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Bill Walton would call Les's decision terrrrrrrible.

Barkley would call it turrrible. Both would be right.

7. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

How ironic, because NOBODY on that Rocket team was an allstar outside of Yao. When he got hurt, we STILL got to 7 games. What you conviently fail to mention is how much more talented the Lakers were. NO WAY in hell we were supposed to take them 7 games, Adelman coached his ass off, as he always does.

I'd like to know what criteria your using when evaluating Adelman. It seems like your ignoring the most obvious statistic, which is wins. This my friend destroys any rebuttal you can conjure up. How does a coach have the best record in franchise history and somewhat not meet your expectations??? Lmao. What exactly were your expectations without Yao??? Did you actually think we were a playoff team??? These are the questions you can't seem to answer lol

8. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

Hopefully Adelman goes to Miami and wins 6 rings... He deserves better

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We don't know for sure, but it sure sounds like he really liked this group of guys and his time here in Houston -- the team certainly enjoyed playing for him.

The 64-year-old Adelman went 193-135 in four seasons with the Rockets. The .588 winning percentage was the highest among the 11 full-time coaches the franchise has had. Adelman led the Rockets to their only playoff series victory since 1997. His career record is 945-616 and ranks eighth in all-time wins.

"I have enjoyed my time in Houston over these past four seasons," Adelman said in a statement. "We accomplished quite a bit, despite overcoming numerous obstacles during the past few years.

"I especially enjoyed coaching this group of players the past two seasons," he said. "Despite difficult circumstances, they never gave in and they never quit. It was a joy coming in every day and working with such a group of dedicated players and coaches. I wish them all the best."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6384752

10. nathan8

nathan8 Member

Okay, um, well, what the **** do we do now? Mike Brown? Sloan? Anybody have any news on who it could potentially be?

11. rv2843

rv2843 Member

Well, I guess les and Morey want to be cheap. I bet next coach's salary would be lower than Rick.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

On what planet does the GM make public statements that run counter to the owner's feelings about anything?

13. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

What your essentially saying is we will suck and "I DON'T CARE". If your position is in favor of tanking over winning then its obvious why you'd favor letting the most winningest coach in franchise history go. I'd rather see my sports team trying to win rather than losing for draft picks. Thats chicken ***** basketball

14. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

He certainly did deserve better and what an awesome job making this team respectable and fun to watch with a dearth of talent on board. I couldn't understand how Sacramento let him go and I'm double confused as to what possible cause Les and Morey had for letting him go. My opinion of Morey just went down a ton for being gonadless and not sticking up for Rick.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't even think you read my post.

When did I say he did not meet my expectations? I never said that, stop trying to build this strawman.

I never said Rick Adelman deserved to be fired or that the team was better off without him.

I simply said give the players some credit. You basically said the team was not any good if it weren't for Adelman. I'm telling you now the headcoach is hardly ever responsible for 20+ wins.

If that is so then Larry Brown wouldn't have been a failure in NYK or Charlotte. His Piston team would have collapsed without him also.

Also Rick didn't think this team was bad. He credits the players for working hard. Look...Rick isn't out there making shots for these guys so give them credit. Scola is a good player, he becomes superman in international play. Landry is still a laker killer. Ariza is still the exact same player he was when he was a Rocket.

So give the players some credit instead of saying they all sucked just so you can put Rick Adelman on a pedestal and throw the blame elsewhere.

16. worzel gummidge

Even the Rockets broadcast team where afraid of saying anything.

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

All I know is the next coach better come in and kick a very large amount of ass because it will certainly be tough to live up to how well Adelman has done over the past four seasons.

I hope Adelman does well wherever he ends up... and I really wouldn't mind seeing him finally be able to win a championship, because he certainly deserves it.

18. favhr#12

favhr#12 Member

coach brown is gona be pissed when he finds out twill is not lebron

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

If they (les and morey) fired RA, that pisses me off.

If RA left on his own, that makes me sad.

I can't stand Less Alexandria. Yes, LesS Alexandria.
    :mad:

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think it's become clear who we need
    [​IMG]