1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you happy with the way Les is running Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Prince, Apr 16, 2011.

?

happy?

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

77 vote(s)
    54.6%
  3. Don't care

19 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I remember you hating JVG because he replaced Rudy, but you're taking it to a whole new level. So now the Rockets and Lakers BOTH forced Rudy T to resign? I think that's extremely unlikely.

I'm not sure why Rudy isn't working with the organization right now, but I think it should be abundantly clear that he was not healthy enough to be a head coach.

2. dragician

dragician Member

Would be nice to find out what the issue between Les and Rick was about...

3. LandryMegaBeast

the issue is... Les is a douche

4. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

In Houston, Les is the best franchise owner...which isnt saying much, but i'd rather have him over Drayton McLain or Bob McNair.

While I don't think we should make a Coaching change, but the roster as is cannot compete for a title...getting to the playoffs is not and should NEVER be the goal. The goal should always be CHAMPIONSHIP or BUST - this is the mentality of the elite teams in the NBA.

I think Les and Morey know this, and unless we're not able to get a big trade/signing this off season, we're going to be a mediocre team again - which means we're better off going for a new coach and allowing RA to coach a title contender.

I have a hard-time believing that Les would be stupid enough to allow one of the best coaches in NBA history to just walk.

I would become an instant fan of the team RA would end up coaching - it would suck if he ends up coaching the Heat or the Lakers tho... hate both of those teams with a passion!

5. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Best post of the year!!

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

People are really ungrateful for an owner who's willing to go well over the luxury tax if it improves the team.

Disagree with his treatment of RA...but still he's a great owner.

Nice arena, good charity work, good front office..not relly sure what else fans look to for an owner to develop/maintain

7. LandryMegaBeast

true... but hes screwing with a working system.

hes treated all of our coaches like crap since he took over the team.

LMB

8. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

How do you know he's willing to go well over the luxury tax when he never has?

1 person likes this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Well at least les gives a crap; what is bringing everyone back going to so? maybe 45 or 46 wins and an 8 seed. At that rate we are going in circles.

Look at thunder and blazers as our blue print.

10. rv2843

rv2843 Member

Les is a businessman. Rockets to him is like an investment for profit instead of a sports team. Unless it is a guranteed win/money making he is not going to spend max dollars on a player.

Morey is like a day trader, a very good day trader who can find a few very penny stocks which generate a huge profit with minimum wages. But winning a champion is not something which can be achieved by day trader. You need elite players, not some productive role players worth more than minimun wages.

11. rv2843

rv2843 Member

exactly. Not listen to what he said, but look at what he has done.

12. rv2843

rv2843 Member

As a fan, I don't care how much money Morey saves for Les, and I don't care how many talents being productive paid at miminum wage. What I care is to see Rockets win all the way to champion regardless $20m or $30m above luxury tax level and players are rewarded appropriately so that they are loyal to the team and reputation is well known and top talents are attacted to Houston.

I don't see any sign of anything positive.

1 person likes this.
  13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Maybe shouldn't have been coaching, but I'm pretty sure he was forced out by both teams.

O'Neal: There's more behind Rudy T decision.

Here's the thread about Rudy's departure from LA; you can make up your own mind. Lots of perspectives presented.

14. Gucci_Ochocinco

When you say that an owner is bad, what exactly does that mean? As far as I know, his job is to CTC (cut the checks) and hire management/coaching personnel. I guess the complaints are either he makes poor management decisions or he's unwilling to spend money to win. It seems to me that neither of those apply to Les Alexander. He's hired Daryl Morey, who I still believe is a good general manager, and Rick Adelman, a good coach. If he is trying to force Rick out, then that's an issue and certainly a strike against him, but I guess we should wait and see the outcome before we start bashing him over this. (As a sidenote, it's pretty funny how much people hated Adelman on this board earlier in the season, and now they treat him like a god and are furious that he might be leaving. But I suppose that's ClutchFans for you).

As for being cheap, I think that Les has not been afraid to open up his checkbook to improve the team. How about all the picks we buy in the draft? At 2 million dollars a pop, those aren't cheap. Yes, he hasn't paid the luxury tax until this year (I think), but many times that's because we make a move at the deadline to move a little bit of salary to get under, which is usually some irrelevant player who doesn't make much difference at all. It would be great if we had Mark Cuban, who doesn't care if he's double the luxury tax, but not many owners are like that.

I guess the other complaint has been that we haven't had any real star players lately, and that's true, but I'm not sure how we are supposed to get them to come here. It's not like we can offer them more money than other teams, and if they want to team up in Miami or go to New York what are we supposed to do? I think we've made some intelligent acquisitions, especially getting Martin/Lowry/Scola. Yes, we've struggled the past few years, but that's been mainly due to Yao (and T-Mac last year) getting hurt. Now that we're no longer depending on Yao to be our starting center and have moved on from his huge contract, I think we have a great opportunity to succeed and be a force in the West. Hopefully there's a season next year to prove me right. Certainly the Rockets are in better hands than the other pro sports teams in this city.

15. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Can we please also get a poll asking the same question about Morey?

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you know, I've always had this notion in the back of my head and its the first time I've ever seen somebody else bring it up but it just makes a lot of sense.
    We can never be sure though, but great way of putting it.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'll wait until he hires a coach before I crucify him.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I am so happy I bought season tickets for next season!

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les has been a very good owner throughout the years. The way the Yao saga played out has taken some of the luster (basketballwise) of his tenure though. Yao is obviously a special person who has been quite the ambassador, but just hasn't been able to stay healthy. One might not think THIS is Les's fault, but I beg to difffer. Les deserves much culpability as he had a lot of grace after our title years and went out and made a deal with the devil. I am referring to Yao's contract which I'm sure was loaded with no trade clauses and assurances that he would be available year round/24-7 to the Chinese.....leading to him breaking down AND us not being able to deal him much earlier. Either way, Les was going to clean up as it was a no lose situation financially. Even if we had been ABLE to deal Yao 4-5 years ago Les had made so much money ...and will from his resulting Chinese connections long into the future ...real $$$$. But he's ridden this into the ground ...leaving us starving hoop fans wanting....and having to exhibit major patience.

With all this said, I have quite a bit of faith in Les. He's one helluva businessman.....and is devoted to our city. The boss is going to have his cake and eat it too in the grand scheme of things. Morey, Alexander, CD, and the next coach IMO will build our Rockets into perennial contenders again ....patience and appreciating watching this new team develop/be put together....that's it,I guess.