1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe under fire from use of homophobic slur towards ref

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by s2kboy16, Apr 13, 2011.

1. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Well he's already apologized, so I don't see the big deal anymore.

Though I'm quite surprised at the liberal use of the words "gay" or "f*****" especially here in CF in order to describe something they don't like. Not necessarily in this topic (since it's more tongue-in-cheek), but in other topics.

2. iku

iku Member

dang.. kobe got fined 100k for 2 words.
    even though that might not be a lot for him.. but that's 100k going into stern's pocket. that's bs lol

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Given all the cursing that goes on in NBA games, this seems like a politically correct tempest in a tea pot. I don't care for Kobe, never have, and I am against ALL name calling (it is childish and hurtful) but a 100,000 fine is ridiculous. If the NBA is going to go atomic for this incident then they need to do a better job of policing the cursing that goes on in games in front of 1000's of children.

1 person likes this.
  4. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

It's ridiculous how a few of you are trying to turn this thread into a crusade against the crusade against gay-bashing. This thread is really about Kobe throwing a tantrum on the bench and by the rules getting appropriately fined for it. Nobody is trying to sneak into your houses in the middle of the night and turn you gay

5. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Honestly, just stick to statistics.

Read what you are saying: "anytime someone says f***** or something similarly innocuous." You are just so blatantly off it's almost not worth replying to. It is a slur, a word meant be derogatory to individuals who are homosexual, and indeed, many take offense to it (surprise!). It's a loaded term that probably dredges up a lot of negative feelings for those individuals, so the word is by no means "innocuous."

That being said, I personally have no reaction to the word when someone uses it in the way people are referencing it here, I've said it myself, and I love Louis C.K.'s bit on it and for the most part agree with him. Thus, I understand people's frustration with different uses of the word, but at the same time this Kobe is currently being watched by million's of people on national television a decent portion of which might happen to be homosexual. This is much different than playing Halo with an annoying friend in your basement and telling him to quit being such a f*****.

Yes, people do overreact but at the same time he should think about the fact that he has 5 cameras on him constantly and probably not say such a politically charged word. Just think about the insanity if we saw Brad Miller utter f-cking n***** on national television towards a ref, it wouldn't go over well as you could probably imagine. Just because you may or may not have grown tired of the "homonazis" as you so eloquently put it, there are other people in this world besides you. People have feelings, get over it.

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Why do people continue to compare the sports world to a normal job? Newsflash they are totally different.

Saw Stephen Jackson call a ref "p***y ass *****" this type of language is common in the NBA that you would not get away with at your job.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j_QUyBJiaHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starts at the the 25 second mark

People are delusional if they think players don't use language like Kobe did the only difference is he got caught on camera saying it which he didn't even know the cameras were on him.

7. verti89

verti89 Member

Faggots dont watch basketball...

ok sorry i couldnt help it... sorry seriously SORRY

8. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

I probably hate Kome more than anyone else, and I don't find this a big deal.

9. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

lol at all the posters who feel they have to use gay slurs to look tough. What's hilarious and pathetic about the people who have the biggest issues with gay people is that they are often gay themselves. Something about covering stuff up that they're ashamed of.

See: Ted Haggard and Larry Craig

10. clippy

clippy Member

Yeah, that could be it, but my guess is that most of these people just have a limited education and their daily conversations go like,

"Hey braaaaah... brewskies on me!!!"
    "Hell yah, f*****".

11. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

You should watch the episode of Louie where he allows another comedian (who I assume is gay or is playing a gay comedian) dissect his bit. It's a little more involved than all that.

12. amaru

amaru Member

I know that is technically the correct usage of the word "they" but it gets tiresome when some people seriously think that simply because the relatively few number of "black" people they encounter use the N-word, that the other 1 billion of us do the same.

It is a really ignorant train of thought.

13. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Kobe that n*gger, needs to stop being a f*ggot.

Hey everyone uses those words, therefore its alright! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I think we can all appreciate Member: #6577 giving us his objective opinion on this matter. I find it refreshing to hear an unbiased take on something for once.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Do yall remember when Dan Issel got fired for yelling "Go drink another beer you Mexican piece of ****!" to a fan that was harassing him?

16. clippy

clippy Member

Thank you member 12,682. However, you are confusing cause and effect. This type of action by Kobe (berating a teammate, throwing out slurs like they are candy, getting away with abusing officials) is exactly the reason I can't stand the guy.

17. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Not really, you can't stand Kobe because he kept you from visiting BB forums after finals, and BB forum is the only comfort you can find.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

If you can't stand Kobe because he he abuses the refs then I'm guessing you can't stand most of the stars in the NBA.

19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

looks like f'in ***

like thats never been said on the court before lol, people are ridiculous they blow things way out of proportion

20. lean

lean Member

I thought that one South Park episode cleared the air about this, f*g is now a term for loud Harley riders.

Seriously though I doubt Kobe calling the guy a f*ggot had anything to do with him being gay or anything like that. It's a word commonly used to describe douchebaggery, and Kobe was obviously pissed about some poor calls. There are plenty of players in the league using much worse language much more often.