1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Justice: Alexander willing to roll dice on coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Not only will he have gotten rid of all of them, he will have done so after treating them very shabbily.

In the case of Rudy T, he dragged it out, said it was Rudy's decision (it wasn't) and didn't appear at the press conference, leaving Rudy to give the good company man line to cover for Les, even after Les had assured him he'd be back and then changed his mind. This to a man who had been a lifelong Rocket, coached us to two championships and was recovering from cancer treatment.

With Van Gundy, again he spun it as a mutual decision when it was nothing of the sort. As with Rudy, he hemmed and hawed and then, again, let him go without so much as a personal thanks for his work.

No one disputes that Adelman got significantly more wins out of his nineteen (or however many) different squads than any other coach might have. The players are invested in his system and it is a great system. For the players that didn't play for Rick in the past, it took some real time to learn it but now it is learned and the dividends are clear for all to see. If Les doesn't do everything he can to re-sign Rick, he will be letting him go because he didn't win enough, demonstrating very clearly that he doesn't know squat about basketball.

The way Les treated Rudy was unforgivable to this lifelong Rockets fan. The way he treated Van Gundy was extremely disappointing. If he does this a third time, I don't know if I can keep rooting for a team he owns.

In the extremely unlikely scenario that Jerry Sloan takes the reins, I know I will have to choose another team to support. But regardless, Les has left a very bad taste in my mouth, as a very dedicated fan, again.

I can't believe that anyone thinks he's a good owner. He's Bud Adams bad in my book.

3 people like this.
  2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well Justice just said, on 1560, that Adelman will be let go tomorrow and the Rockets will go after Stan Van Gundy. Also, the Lakers will be hot after JVG and Adelman will be chased by Lakers, Heat and Celtics(if Doc retires or gets fired).

It's Justice but he makes good points and sounds like something that is likely to go down.

3. verti89

verti89 Member

I read Page 1 and Page 5 of the thread so I MAY have missed the conversation, but wasn't there an article a month or 2 ago that said Adelmann was seriously considering retiring? Not to mention that Utah, Lakers, Celtics, and maybe the Heat (if they flame out in the playoffs) are just a few of the teams who might be looking for a new coach, and all of these teams are better coaching opportunities that Houston. LA and Miami on chances to win immediately, Boston because its freaking Boston, and Utah because of the opportunity to completely rebuild and be pretty good right away.

So isn't it just possible that Les realizes that his chances of keeping Adelman aren't very good because he is going to either retire or get a better offer and is trying to lay the ground work for what he knows is ultimately going to happen regardless of what he wants?

Let us not forget that we are not talking about Adelman getting fired, we are talking about whether he gets re-signed.

4. verti89

verti89 Member

like i said... not let go (fired)... they just aren't resigning him... as to why, read my previous post for at least another possible reason. not saying it IS or isn't, but its at least possible.

5. Batman Jones

That's a distinction without a difference. Any other owner would have locked Rick down long ago. He is being fired, regardless of technicalities.

As for your other points, Rick has made it pretty damn clear that he wants to return. He has stopped short of saying so plainly, but anyone would do that if they were receiving clear messages from the owner that they weren't wanted back.

Why would any coach worth his salt come play for this man that punishes his coaches, every single one he's had, for doing a great job?

6. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Anyone who doesn't know Leslie Alexander can size him up in a second:
    a small, sneaky, business first, hypocritical, laugh-in-your-face & talk-behind-your-back type of guy. He's an ahole and in fact has ruined the Rockets. Since he's been here, look what has happened:
    - Didn't want to pay Maxwell what he owed him
    - Traded the other half of the new twin towers in OT & Dream for Drexler (a money move since Drexler brings a new fanbase and old fans back to the Summit)
    - Allowed Cassell & Horry to be shipped out
    - Didn't want to pay Olajuwon what he owed him
    - Forced Rudy T out of here
    - And probably much more going on behind closed doors then we know of. The only reason Yao is still here is because of the money. Alexander shows no loyalty!

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

ignoring pop's coaching ability doesn't help your case. yes, he has duncan. it doesn't mean any coach would win title with duncan on the roster. mike brown had labron. bulls won title until phil got over. kobe didn't win title until phil moved la.

rox needs a super star, a better player than any of our current players. it's for sure. we also need a coach of next generation to inject new blood instead bringing old big names. they are getting old and their mind just like their body is no longer flexible and won't or in better wording can't take new things like young ppl. we are talking a long term solution not one day solution.

8. Batman Jones

I'm saying: It ISN'T. And it isn't "at least possible" any more than it's "at least possible" that Les will play center for the Rockets next year.

9. rockets934life

Well...Rick's contract is up and isn't being resigned so I call that being let go. IF Rick was under contract, then fired is appropriate.

Rick is going to get a raw deal, simple as that. Having flawed and injury prone superstars he kept the squad competitive and interesting. Saying that, this team is rebuilding whether we want to believe it or not and Rick won't like that very much. I can really see the squad getting revamped a great deal this offseason, playing for the long term and a new coach that fits that mold better might be what they look for.

10. choujie

choujie Member

And all of them were not so happy about leaving. People talk about two Championships Les had, but I'm certain those Championships had more to do with players and coaches than Alexander. Actually I believe Robert Horry has way more impact than Alexander for those Championships.

I don't understand why Les is rated that high here. He's the worst NBA owner in Texas.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Would bringing SVG here make it more or less likely that we get Dwight Howard in 2012?

12. verti89

verti89 Member

I am not saying Les is a great owner, but you sir are a HOMER and not looking at things in a fair manner. Les is willing to spend, which automatically makes him better than a third of the owners (if not more). I am only playing devil's advocate here and trying to look at it in a fair manner. I have not seen any of the stuff that supposedly makes it PRETTY DAMN CLEAR that he wants to say, if anyone has any such proof I would love to see it. The ONLY other story I have seen on his future was him thinking about retiring. MAYBE he was thinking about retiring because the writing was already on the wall, or MAYBE Les has made these comments and put the writing on the wall because he knows Rick is going to retire or leave for greener pastures. We can all agree that there are things going on behind the scenes, but its ridiculous to ignore the possibility that Rick might not get along with Morey, or might just want to retire or go to a better opportunity.

13. choujie

choujie Member

You really believe Houston has a chance? If DH ever leaves, it will be LA/NY/Chicago for big market and big money. There is no incentive to go to Houston for a bunch of role players.

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

keep dreaming. it's not illegal.

15. verti89

verti89 Member

You do realize that he isn't a slave right? he has the option NOT to sign a new contract with us. Again can anyone provide and article or anything that makes it sound like Adelman really wants to stay here?

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I agree signed,

[​IMG] :grin: I know he's not NBA but still

It could be worse. Let's just hope Morey is on board with this.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

"sigh"... people need to seriously do their homework on here before they rant.

-Maxwell was noted to have been causing locker room issues, and was out of the league a few seasons later and in and out of jail a few times because of personal issues... Do you still think they should have resigned him long term to be a bench player behind Clyde Drexler when he is a head case to begin with???... No thank you. You were great for Houston during the first title, but they dodged a bullet here and upgraded in Drexler the next season.

-The Drexler trade added a second scoring option and ignited the team going into the playoffs. Before the trade the team had slumped heavily. That trade has gone down as one of the greatest in Rockets history. You might be the only person who thinks Alexander did it for a secret fanbase that already existed. The Summitt sold out almost every game from 93 to 96.

-Rudy T stepped down halfway through the season because he was DIAGNOSED WITH BLADDER CANCER. This was not a PR Spin, he was diagnosed, and righfully seeked treatment.

-Cassel and Horry were traded for one of the greatest PF's of all time in Charles Barkley who... OMG, required taking on more salary. Not much of an argument here.

-The Hakeem days were overwith and the Rockets NEEDED to move on. It was only Hakeem himself who didnt get the memo, and took a contract by Toronto and could barely break the starting rotation.

Hakeem thought so terrible about the deal that he sits right next to Alexander on countless home games and is the face of the franchise's history. He obviously wasn't offended, why are you?

-and then theres Yao Ming.... wow... Les and the Rockets have stood by him injury after injury, and even now when he is obviously done they are going to give him another shot at getting healthy next season and possibly get him a new contract.

If you think Les is doing it for that big Chinese dollar then you need to look up a new term for you called REVENUE SHARING. Les and the Rockets dont benefit directly from him other than the ad space they sell inside the arena. A Very very small percentage of the revenue is from that. The NBA however as a whole is much more profitable because of Yao from the overall revenue from China.

3 people like this.
  18. choujie

choujie Member

What "willing to spend" are you talking about?a couple million for 2nd rounders? Since Yao became a Rocket 10 years ago, Lex only went over lux tax once, again by like 2 million or so. But in the same time, how much revenue Rockets generated?

And as I can remember, Rockets payroll shrinks after every trade deadline, the trade exemptions which got expired are probably more than the millions Les used to buy picks.

19. rockets934life

Well of course but we are speaking from the view point the Rockets don't want him back rather then Adelman wants to leave. I actually think Adelman rather not come back unless Morey goes and gets him some players but it appears they will part ways either way...is that better worded? :p

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

When have the Rockets gotten worse as a winning team after the trade deadline???....

-You know what happens to trade exceptions if a team does not use them?
    Nothing. They dont secretly turn into profit.