1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good could Dragic be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

He seems like a skilled PG.

He seems to really like to shoot as well (In a positive way).

I like both qualities and see both as +pluses+.

He also seems to play with confidence from the limited games that I've seen him in.

2. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

There are a lot of times i've seen the open man in a fast break and he still decides to drive it in. :mad: I'd say he'll be a nice backup pg with starting potential.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I can't say I've been watching the games that closely in the last month or so. But from what I've seen, I'm not that high on him. Seems like an ok energy guy off the bench, but makes a lot of mistakes and I'm not comfortable with his ability to run the offense or defend without fouling.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you watch last night? Boy was unstoppable...

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A superstar until he becomes the next whipping boy.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Only caught some of the second half.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

he had a good game and glad for it. Just saying, don't go spouting off on how courtney lee is amazing if he starts for kmart for a game.

8. PeppermintCandy

He's been good and likes to push the pace, but he seems to have just one way of playing, and that's all out. Even when Lowry was our energizer off the bench, Kyle still showed that he could slow things down and dictate the pace if necessary, which was why Adelman often used him instead of Brooks when the Rockets needed to maintain a big lead. I haven't seen a similar sense of control or court awareness in Dragic, but that might just be due to his limited playing time.

Also, his defensive aggressiveness is good but he tends to take quite a few gambles and that sometimes seems to get him into foul trouble. Again, I'd say that's due to his having just one mode of playing.

So far, he seems to be a pretty solid backup PG, but not much more. He hasn't shown me the potential to be more than that, like Lowry showed off the bench, but who knows how he'll develop.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Except the difference is, both Courtney Lee and Kmart have an impact on the floor.

How much impact did Brooks have?

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Fixed

11. anchel

anchel Member

2 more videos:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pflb0n7JcSQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AqZEPw2AT8g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Playing 3 straight years (your first 3 in the league) behind Nash (that's as much as 15 minutes per game, every day) must be really hard for a 19 y.o. european kid in order to develope confidence and consistency at the PG position, in the NBA. It's not like we talk about a veteran who knows perfectly his role, the league, and can do basically what he has been doing all his career, while Nash takes some rest.

The day in which he's traded and finally goes into a new situation, he witnesses the explosion of his new partner at his position... Just when he thought the time was coming for him in PHX with the upcoming Nash retirement. He arrives to Houston and his new coach welcomes him with 6 minutes nights... Well, he has not been very lucky so far... One day arises an opportunity, and does a 14-10-7-2-1 game. This is very difficult. With no background, no rythm... There is a player.

If we ignore for a moment his path so far and we focus on his qualities, we'll see a tall PG with defensive potential (has good feet, can contest shots, rebound, steal balls... has a good frame to add some muscle), a good vision and talent for the pass with both hands (that you will see with time), a competitive nature, basket IQ, ability to push the ball and finish over traffic...

He's still an ongoing product, has a lot to improve, but with the conditions he has, he should be able to do at a given time a lot of different things for your team. Right now he shows an evident lack of consistency, but the tools are there and the proper attitud, so time should run in his favour. I'm happy for having him, I think Daryl did a very good under the radar trade. I think Goran can be a championship player, never thought the same about Brooks.

12. anchel

anchel Member

22, 22 y.o. :rolleyes: Thought was little bit younger when he played in Murcia, still is pretty apparent that he is an unfinished product, and that was the point.

...And 10 minutes, more than 15.

13. albuster

albuster Member

Too early to tell. He has great skills but he has a long way to go as far as learning and grasping the duties and responsibilities of a pg. Hopefully, his maturity as a pg will come quickly so that the Rockets can focus more on the need for a bigger and better player in the middle.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If he can flop as well as Ginobili, he'll be an all-star. j/k.

He is an attack kind of PG and plays hustle defense. Doesn't look like a system guy though. He kind of reminds me of Jason Williams with Adelman's Kings. A bit too flashy and out of control. But a lot of people thought Ginobili was too out of control to be effective for Pop.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Needs to be more in control. Seems like a emotional guy too.

Remind me of Lowry last year when on breaks.

16. LetsPartyBud

LetsPartyBud Member

He showed a flash of greatness in that playoff game against the Spurs last year when he just dominated the 4th quarter scoring 23 points. I like his game alot

17. Proven

Proven Member

Goran is most popular basketball player in Slovenia.

We have all hope, he will replaced Nash when Steve ends his playing for Suns, but GM trade some players who played good with him and then he lost a confidence in himself :(

18. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

You don't want to pull a Rudy T in this situation. All that means it's you want our player to get sucker punched in the face. You want them to pull a kermit washington and deck someone vujabitch in the face.

19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I think he is a Kyle Lowry v2. A solid bench man but with the potential to become a great starter.

I really like his aggression on both ends. Just needs to learan to harness it. I would like see him create plays a bit more. I think he has it in him but he just looks to attack the rim.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

He's not a true PG, more of a scoring guard. Defense is overrated (on here); he's probably an average defender. I think he could be a decent starter given minutes, but nothing that's going to blow you away.