1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gezza, Apr 7, 2011.

1. gezza

gezza Member

Before the season started there were lots of threads about how good Kevin Durant is / was going to become. People asked the question of whether he will overtake Lebron in a few years time as the best player in the world.

I notice that he hasn't been getting much attention this season. Were people expecting an absolute monster season? And since he hasn't, the attention has turned to other stories? (Griffin, Kevin Love, the Miami Heat, Rose, Carmelo trade...etc)

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

KD has stagnated this year. i laughed when people said KD will overtake lebron this year or soon.

now westbrook has made that jump and that's why the thunder are a much better team going into the playoffs, along with the addition of perkins.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think playing so much in the World Championships has affected KD's season a lot. Coach K used him too much because that was necessary for them to win the gold.

KD started the season slowly and Westbrook carried the team. This pushed him off the MVP radar and, compared to the other candidates, he hasn't really played himself back into the discussion.

I think KD will go to another level next season and truly be an MVP candidate. If injuries don't bite them, the Thunder will also be legit championship contenders. They are not this season, even with Perkins.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

I just read about this earlier tonight. Durant says people forgot about him.

Original link/full story

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Same thing happened to Brandon Roy. The he really disappeared.

6. windz

windz Member

its really hard for durant to surpass lebron cus he doesnt have a good court vision and passing skill...

some players (elite sg/sf above 6`8) r just more gifted in terms of passing ie: tmac, magic, lebron etc... i dont know how durant can develop/train into a better passer.

7. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

One Dimension player, doesn't do the things the other elite players do.
    Still a very good player, but is he is actually the best player on his team?
    Btw, people said that he was better then Lebron, not questioned it.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you've been watching the Thunder, there isn't any question KD is the best player on their team. Westbrook has regressed the last couple of weeks and needs to get his head screwed on right. He's been out of control and they won't beat anyone in the playoffs unless he dominates his matchup. Ty Lawson kicked his behind sore a few days ago before Eric Maynor came to the rescue.

9. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Kevin durant wont be better than lebron . Lebron is the best overall besides scoring.

10. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Good points. I stand corrected.
    Also, I heard that Durant gets a lot of fouls from using his long arms to get contact, is this what you are seeing in the games?

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He's no where near the passer Lebron Tmac are/were, Nor is he even close to the athleticism as the two. He is a great scorer but that's about it.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

KD IS a top 5 player (along with lebron, howard, wade, and kobe) in this L. he rebounds, defends, and does provide leadership.

westbrook has been the better player to start the first 2 months or so, but KD is now back to his consistent self.

however, i still stand that he has stagnated this year in terms of development. but watching him play, i wonder what else he can improve upon? he's already great at shooting (maybe better shot selection), get to the ft line a ton--basically his offensive game is pretty much where it will be. he's making strides defensively and on the leadership part.

i don't think KD will be better than what tmac was at his peak (esp 02-03). however, KD can definitely be dominant for a longer period of time. and he has the fortune of playing with a legit PG.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you are referring to the "rip move", KD uses it more than any other player in the NBA. It's cheap, but he said he's going to keep doing it as long as the refs call it. I think the NBA needs to change the rule to where it's only a foul when the defender's reach actually encroaches in the space of the player with the ball.

I wouldn't say he gets "a lot" of foul calls this way. Maybe once every 2 games.

t_mac1, KD will become a better player than McGrady was at his peak, if for no other reason than his mentality and leadership (think MJ vs. Kobe). If you purely compare skillsets and athleticism, McGrady might have been top 1 or 2 in NBA history. But he was a zero of a leader who was soft and didn't set the best example for teammates. KD (and a multitude of talented guys) blow McGrady away in these areas.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Honestly Durant is in the class of Carmelo..He's a flat out scorer that can change the outcome of a game but not a playoff series(at least noy yet) .... The reason people dont bash him for his volume shooting is because he's a humble kid who doesnt want the spotlight/drama....Now before anyone starts cryin, I'm not sayin he's like Carmelo..Durant is a superstar thats willin to do the necessary things to get better each game......He's definitely is top 5 though

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

stagnated? His numbers are pretty dang close besides a slight drop off in scoring. But, as you point out, that's because he doesnt have to carry the load as much as he did last year.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

KD is 22 years old and already a top-5 player.