1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alot of pressure on Ming?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cipherous, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

Nachbar and Ming are the same age, both plays international ball at the professional level. Yet, alot of people expect Ming to come out alot sooner than Nachbar. When Ming has a bad game during mid season, all the critics are gonna be rehashing what Charles and Kenny Smith said. Personally, I wish poor Yao could enjoy his youth and not have the burden that he bears. I think Yao is gonna be good but its not fair how people treat him like the way that they do. Afterall, hes still a kid. Did Kwame Brown, Kenyon Martin or any other #1 draft pick have the scrutiny or pressure that Ming has? Not even 1/100 of what Ming had to endure. Granted hes still making $1 million per year after all those cut throat deductions and hes living well, theres the racial disparity and the cultural barrier that Ming has to go through.

Ming does have a medley of support though from his team mates and his fans. And I think he really apperciates it and I think its the main reason why hes excelling so fast; he doesn't want to dissappoint the fans and his country. Considering his situation, where he doesn't speak much english, racial taunts and has alot to overcome, hes doing pretty well. What a soldier!

Before I was a MAVs fan cause of Dirk. Now I am riding the Yao bandwagon.

GO MING!
    Go Rockets!

2. timm

timm Member

Cipherous, I think the reason he is under so much scrutiny is that he the FIRST number pick not to have grown in the AMerican BB system. Remember for many people he was taken ahead of Jason Williams who for many reasons was being billed as the potential number 1 draftee till Yao showed up in the draft.

Some scrutiny comes from the fact that there are not many Chinese in the League (in fact only two others). Both of those guys have not done anything spectacular yet, so why would a team take so much 'risk'

Finally some comes from the fact that NBA does not have too much positive news recently. Bisone Dele is gone Shaq is injured, Kings (or Queens) will again find a way to lose, Jordan is beyond retirement and still Denver pays Wiz 200 grand for hm just showing up and Sprewell is anyway Sprewell.:eek:

3. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Really tall centers garner this type attention, it has always been like that.