1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The way to go

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketSiv, Jul 29, 2000.

1. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

With Cuttino apparently agreeing to a contract it would seem logical to me like everybody else to go after an elite big man. However I don't think trading Cato is the way to go and with our backcourt seemingly rebuilt that leaves the 2 forward spots. What do you go after the three or the four? If you have two equally elite impact players, one at each position,then which one? I say you would have to go with the powre forward. However not for the most common of reasons. You take the four to keep Cuttino happy. You obviously need Francis to play, you need Shandon's defense, and you need Cuttino on the floor because he is a finisher especially when it counts. He brings something very important to the court that this team needs. He is a crunch time player who needs to be in the game when it is on the line. Therefore I say you gof for an average small forward. I don't know who that is but maybe a shot blocker that can score some but will not dominate the ball, about the only thing I know is that I don't want Robert Horry.

------------------

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I'll tell you who it is.

Dan Langhi

DaDakota

------------------

3. Smoke

Smoke Member

With our backcourt set, we need a front court that will grow with it. An impact forward would make us more competitive, but not a contender.

We have alot of players at the 3 and 4 that we need to evaluate. Langhi could be our future at the 3. He and Collier need PT to determine our needs for next year's draft. 2 first round picks, in a draft deep at center and small forward, will be a key to the growth of this team. Since the 2001 draft will be deep, all the teams will get an infusion of talent. We need to know exactly who we need and be able to get them. An impact player now, won't help us with either.

Also, Cat's happiness should not be the deciding factor in who we get to improve the team. IMHO
    [​IMG]
    What you been smokin?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Smoke (edited October 02, 2000).]

4. BobbyWarren

BobbyWarren Member

I definately have to agree with RocketSiv's analysis of our needs.

Personally, I'm a big proponent of the theory that a championship team is best suited with two superstars working in tandum. Usually, you have a frontcourt and backcourt player that can carry the team (Shaq/Kobe, Kareem/Magic). Within our system, it would be logical to go for a 4 that can light it up on offense, and do a great deal of damage on the defensive end.

For the 3 spot, you try to find a player who can hit the three very consistantly, but who can drive if need be (Langhi). Preferably, they would also be one of your better defensive players on the perimeter.

Realistically, Chris Webber would be perfectly suited for the PF situation here. However, I really don't know how much of a chance we have of getting him. We may have to rely upon a trade for a great PF to come along.

My guess is that we trade for a high draft pick this upcoming year and grab a PF in what is supposed to be a really deep draft. I say that because I'm thinking that we won't get Croshere, and even if we did, he won't be the superstar player we need at that position.

What if we could trade Bryce Drew to a team for a top 3 protected 1st round pick, and then package our three picks (Ours, Milwaukee's conveyed pick, theoretical pick mentioned) for a high pick (top 3).

Of course, we do still have a couple of other outstanding 1st round picks owed Orlando and Detroit, I believe) that could possibly be conveyed next year. Any way you look at it, I think our goal should be to obtain a high pick next year and draft a PF.

------------------

5. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

Drew, imo, is only worth a 2nd rounder if we make a trade.

------------------

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I dont know what he is worth but it is more that a 2nd rounder.

------------------
    Rockets games are like a box of chocolates, you never know whacha your gonna get.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

With Second Rounders like Langhi and Cuttino

i don't find that such and insult with our
    organization

We make Better 2nd round selections
    than 1st rounders

Rocket River

------------------

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Bobby Warren - not so sure I agree with your front court/backcourt theory.

Did the Celtics win because the tandem was Bird and DJ or maybe Ainge and McHale. Did the Pistons do it with Isiah and Lambier or maybe it was Dumars and Rodman? MJ and Cartright or Scottie and Longley?

The real common denominator is team chemistry no matter where it comes from.

I think Red Auerbach once said "you win championships with 2 great players and 3 VERY VERY good players". Steve Francis has potential to be a great player. Shandon and Cat are on the verge of very, very good. Anything beyond that is agruable.

Also, I think C-Webb has been quoted as wanting to play with Spre in NY.

I love this game!!

------------------
    GATER