1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets would be the 6th seed in the East right now...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket Freak, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

...and destroy Boston in the first round (on the basis of stomping them in both games this year) ;-p

Yes, I know...if and buts, candy and nuts, but think about if we got to play in the East all year. We would probably be even higher.

Right now, the Rockets would be the second best team in the Pacific, Central, and Atlantic divisions even while playing in the Southwest the whole year.

Indiana is 35-43 and will most likely get in unless they tank and Charlotte 32-44 sneaks in.

The Eastern Conference has exactly 6 teams with a winning record.

Meanwhile, the Southwest Division has 5 teams with winning record.

Remember that one year the Rockets went 47-35 and missed the playoffs? I think that was the best record ever to not make the playoffs.

2. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

3. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

Yeah, it sucks.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Isn't there already a thread that says we would be 5th place in the east? Now it's sixth?... SO WHAT?

We aren't. The Rockets also could have had MJ and Dream on the same team, why don't we talk about that?...

5. Porksta

Porksta Member

Keep in mind, if we played in the East we would play more East teams, giving us an even better record.

6. Convictedstupid

Don't forget they would've also gotten 2nd year Clyde.

7. Treeza

Treeza Member

Golden State had 48 wins the year after they upset the mavericks, they fell to the nuggets who won 50.

That's a ridiculous stat, every team in the Western Conference that year AT LEAST won 50 games....while the east remained as lackluster as ever.

I'm all for a new playoff format where the best 16 teams get in.

8. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

People always say this but Memphis and New Orleans are farther eastern than Houston.

[​IMG]

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

I know bro, its crazy. They would be 6th in the east of the United States of America and perhaps even 1st in the far far east or europe. If Houston moved its city to Guangdong China or somewhere near, they would be beasting!:eek:

10. Adrenachrome

Adrenachrome Member

I dont like you

1 person likes this.
  11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

the East keeps being bad, even with, D-will, Amare and Carmelo going to the East, they keep sucking.

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I don't understand the point of these threads. Does that make you feel better to say we would be in playoffs if we were in the East? Is that some sort of consolation prize? Why does it matter?

13. devilsdandruff

Hornets should move to Vancouver.

14. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Seeing the map like that makes me grateful we have a team here. Like at the upper left of the map, those States don't have no one to cheer for, yet Cali has 4 teams. Thats bull.

But I put my 2 cents in. Dudes this happened when we had Francis. Its just the fact of life that the east is weak.

15. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

Wait so we cant talk about hypothetical situation now? Then why do we even have a forum for rockets basketball? NONE of the threads yall made here is gonna affect how the Rockets organization is gonna run. Is that some sort of consolation prize? Why does it matter?

16. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Much cooler map.

[​IMG]

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Whats the point of talking hypothetical situations that aren't even 0.00001% possible? This thread is basically: "Damn, we didn't make playoffs, but we would have if we were in the EAST!" (so we're not THAT bad *thumps chest*, we're just unlucky :().

While we're at it, why don't we talk about how well the Rockets would do if they played in the NCAA tournament. I think the Rockets would beat UConn. What do you think?

How would the Rockets do in the Olympics? Could they beat a Yao-less China? What if China had Yao, could we beat China with Yao Ming? Actually, that would be a more interesting discussion than this thread (no offense to OP).

18. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

We really should be 6th place in the West. We are just 4 games behind 6th spot, just 4 games. We could have easily won 7-10 more games if Aldeman played the right rotations earlier in the season. Main Culprit is Brooks, he killed us late in every game, Aldeman refused to let Lowry close out games a nd this cost us BIG TIME. Hill is the number 2 culprit, his minutes impacted on the growth of Patterson, Patterson could have been playing like this 30 games earlier and that would have payed huge dividends as well. Bud and Miller are next culprits. Patterson, Ish Smith, Courtney Lee and JJ should have all been given more minutes.

Way to go Dick::mad:

19. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i guess the question mark support toronto? :grin:

20. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

as much as i can understand that we'd like to speculate a scenario of playoff contention in the eastern conference, what's the point? the nba is purely the least egalitarian professional major American sports league from a competition standpoint given the playoff formatting. had the rockets made it into the playoffs in the east, we would have gotten stomped out eventually by a superior team such as orlando, boston, miami, and chicago. as the 8th seed in the west, we'd be the underdogs in a 7 game series against all the other teams. sure, it'd be cool to see this young team make the playoffs, but it's not like the ncaa tourney, cinderellas don't happen. I can understand having a gripe at missing the playoffs if it were under those circumstances however.