1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carroll Dawson's 03/18 Update on Thabeets personal coaching sessions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BetterThanEver, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Remember... Morey said he would take chances with high upside players (Williams & Thabeet) after Yao got hurt.

I am sure that Morey would not break the bank to get Thabeet, but as a throw in I am sure the Rockets will try to catch lightening in a bottle.... he is a center, that potentially can defend.... two of the Rocket's biggest needs.

The Rockets actually worked hard with Taylor and Adelman liked him, it was just a number's game... they liked Chase and other's as much or more.

Williams is doing himself in. They are hoping he starts to figure it out...

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

10pts/gm 7 RB/GM 2 blks

This would put him as a TOP 10 Center in the league.
    In each Category.

Rocket River

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is great coming from Dawson. Looking forward to what Thabeet can really become.

4. djimi

djimi Member

maybe he played goal keeper.....:p

5. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

If he works Hard He will be a defensive presence and not be an offensive liability. 50/50 chance this guy could be a Fist team defensive Player and Defensive MVP. He's a natural shot blocker and the guys is a 7'3 not that many people out there with that height.

6. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I brought the dolls out when I saw the infamous DD.

7. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

look who's back! welcome back!

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I want to be optimistic about Thabeet, but I'm afraid to.

As for Dorsey, the other thing that annoyed me was that he wasn't willing to buy in. He resisted the rookie hazing, which indicated an unwillingness to sacrifice. I don't think his head was in the right place. So far, Thabeet is saying the right things, at least.

I'm hoping for a Darko-like experience, at least -- he may be a lotto-bust at #2, but at least become a servicable big man.

9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

welcome back:), DD i think its time for another one of your update videos:grin:
    Back to the topic, I just hope that in about 2-5 years Thabeet career some what resembles chuck's carreer he was almost D-league material but worked consistently on his all around game.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Personally just think he is a filler to use as a trade asset for the next crop of superstars that may be available next year. Morey seems to make sure he always has a MLE level expiring to use the following year. There might be some slim prospect value there but I think it is highly unlikely that ever pans out.

Miller + Thabeet is a large amount of expiring to backbone any Howard/Dwill deal.

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I'm excited for Thabeet, hopefully they can release some video of the workouts. Thabeet is the one guy who we have that has more size than anyone on Laker's frontline. If we can get him to become productive, that will go a long way to solving our center problem and improving our overall team defense.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, me, too. Darko's actually an above-average NBA big man. It's just that people can't see past the "lotto bust" label to realize that he's actually pretty good.

The same will probably hold true for Thabeet. Even if he becomes servicable (and I would be happy if he even approaches Darko's current level, which again is pretty good), fans will always see him as a lotto bust, even though Morey and the Rockets obtained him for pennies on the dollar.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hopefully, better coaching gives Thabeet the edge over Darko. I think confidence is a big thing too. The "bust" label is quite detrimental to a young player's psyche. Kwame Brown never got over that.

14. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

If he can just become a very good defensive player, this trade will be very rewarding

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I think this is just a case of false hope. Did you remember when Yao told him how to shoot the hook and the guy refused to listen. He didn't flick his wrist, just threw it up there. I would love for him to contribute but I don't see it happening. Prove me wrong!

By the way, what's with the subtle disrespect of Mutombo ??

First there's:

Why is Mutombo not mentioned since he is definitely among the greatest big men the Rockets ever had and a certified HOF :S

Then the 2nd:

Either this guy doesn't know anything about Mutombo and didn't care to find out or he's just r****ded. Mutombo was a good offensive player and they made him the centerpiece of the offense in his rookie year. He had 16.6 ppg in his first season, not bad for a rookie who was limited as an offensive player :rolleyes:

The next year for the ones who know, the Nuggets changed their style of play and over the next few years Mutombo started complaining about not being involved enough on offense. Still he got 11-14 ppg over the next few years.

16. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

ha, if a player gets sent to the Dynamo, he will get worked like he has never worked before, those guys are intense, even their practices, they don't mess around.

17. MartinsUglyShot

MartinsUglyShot New Member

Soccers for puh cees

18. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

If you were Las Vegas, I'd bet the farm for even odds that he doesn't make First team defensive Player and Defensive MVP.

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

As a Wolves fan...........................................................no. Just, no. I liked Darko when he came here ( as his defense is better than Al Jefferson who completely disproves the "Get a 7-footer at center and your defense will definitely improve" idea), but if I could get Chuck Hayes for him, I'd pack Darko's bags and drive him to the airport myself

I guess it would be an improvement if Thabeet plays at Darko's level, and I'm not even optimistic he reaches that level. But being as good as an idiot like Darko is not an impressive accomplishment

20. lalala902102001

A couple of years of college ball would have done wonders for Thabeet. Left school way too early. Anyway it's not too late. You can't teach size and he's got plenty of that.