1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Woj: Rose, Thibodeau perfect match

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Mar 19, 2011.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...rfect_match_for_title_contending_bulls_031811

MVP and COTY on the same team?

[rquoter]
    NEWARK, N.J. – Together, they had come to the Chicago Bulls seen as something of introverts, inspiring doubts about the abilities of Derrick Rose(notes) and Tom Thibodeau to blossom into leaders of men.

For all his talent, Rose had to listen to people doubt his disposition because of his reticence to talking loudly and boldly. He had to listen to doubts over his intelligence because of an NCAA standardized testing scandal. For all his credentials, Thibodeau had been rejected over and over as a head coaching candidate because he had been labeled a great defensive mind suited best for the dim lights of the film room, the empty stands of practice gyms. As general managers passed on him, they privately doubted his ability to command a locker room.

The NBA is strange this way. It’ll slap a label on you fast and make you work the rest of your life to shed it. Rose and Thibodeau was a partnership that promised to grow gradually, to evolve these Bulls on a steady climb into Eastern Conference contention. Only, everything has changed this season. Rose is not just an All-Star, but the best choice to be the NBA’s MVP now. Thibodeau hasn’t cultivated just a great defense, but a championship culture of selflessness and sacrifice.

Perhaps none of these Bulls were sure about Thibodeau upon his arrival because they had never seen such single-mindedness, such an obsessive, 24-7 grind out of a coach. Truth be told, few have ever witnessed anyone like Thibodeau. His reputation had been that he would be hard to talk to, dictatorial, but they found something else: A lot of humanity, and hardly any hubris.

Thibodeau is a 52-year-old bachelor who sleeps a few hours a night and spends the rest of his waking hours in the office. When it was time to work, they go hard. Yet, they found him softer away from the floor, busting chops, sharing a laugh. Most of all, they’ve found this: When they follow his boring, repetitive blueprint – defense, rebounding and low turnovers – they almost always win.

Rose loves Thibodeau’s grind, admires it and shares so much of his disposition. “I can call him no matter what time it is,” Rose said, “and we can talk.”

He’s called as late as 1 a.m. after a game just to go through things, to talk about the team, about the next step.

“It doesn’t matter when you call him,” Rose said. “He’s going to be up working. … He doesn’t have a life outside basketball.”

Rose isn’t much better because it isn’t uncommon for him to wander into the Berto Center late in evenings to get extra shots to the rim. The lights are always on upstairs in Thibodeau’s office.

So much for a slow, sure process in Chicago. Out of nowhere, Rose could be the NBA’s MVP. Out of nowhere, a rookie coach has cultivated a conference championship contender. And out of nowhere, a most improbable partnership has changed everything in the East.

No more labels, no more pre-conceived ideas for Derrick Rose and Tom Thibodeau. Together, they have the Chicago Bulls chasing everything now.
    [/rquoter]

Wow, it looks like basketball just consumes Thibodeau and the guy seemingly has no ego. Interesting contrast between him and the former Bulls championship coach. Its hard not to root for the guy. Go Bulls, so long as they aren't playing the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good for Rose, definitely good for Thibodeau, and good for Chicago. Hope they make a deep run, if not win it all. Indeed a team/coach that I can root for and find very easily to do so.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I don't know if Tibs planned it out this way since he turned down/has been turned down for coaching gigs before, but he could set himself up in a long run as the Bulls coach just like Pops with the Spurs, it all depends if Rose stays healthy and they continue to build long term around him. The rest of the Bulls rotation seems to be in the mid to late 20's, so I'm curious who can the Bulls get to be Rose's sidekick for his career.

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That article almost makes me feel bad for Thibo. Being a 52y/o workaholic bachelor is not something most people aspire to, whether or not he's successful.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am sure he will get all the ladies he wants now. Or guys.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thibs sounds more like an NFL coach than NBA.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i'm sure thibo gets a ton of MILF groupies while he's on the road. no commitment and strings attached. thats the life.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If he's happy with what he's doing who cares.

Also if you love what you do for a living that happens. I worked multiple 100 hour weeks when I was working for a political campaign recently and I enjoyed it all the same. If I had the chance to work the same job with the same group of people I'd do it again despite the hours. Sometimes you just enjoy your work so much that the hours dont matter.

9. worzel gummidge

Bulls the new Celtics? The new big three where two are former franchise or near-franchise players who couldn't win in Deng & Boozer?