1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fight Freaks] This Weekend's Boxing Lineup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by what, Mar 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. what

what Member

Which fight are you looking forward to seeing?

Me personally, I'm a big Yuri Foreman fan. Any other Foreman fans out there - I love the way this guy boxes.

Other fights including Joel Casamayor, Sergio Martinez & Miguel Cotto, plus Michael Grant v Tye Fields.

2. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I remember watchin Yuri Foreman's fight last yr vs Cotto at Yankee Stadium. It was decent. I'll tune in for his fight.

Interested in Cotto v. Mayorga and Sergio Martinez v. Sergiy Dzinziruk.

It'll be interesting to see what Mayorga has left, and if Cotto can overwhelmingly beat him in order to make a decent case for being in big fight contention again.

And as for Martinez, sucks that he doesn't get a bigger guy to fight after coming off wins vs Paul Williams and Kelly Pavlik.

3. what

what Member

Yeah Foreman, along with Pirog and Iron Boy Calderon are all guys that have Excellent Movement in the ring, and since transitioning from a casual boxing fan to a more knowledgeable fan I have begun to appreciate more and more what these guys bring to the table.

Knockouts are great, but the best fights to watch are the guys that have technique and heart. They might not have the best knockout skill in the world but they compete.

I also appreciate the less talented tough guys who put on a show and really give it their all.

4. Victorious

Victorious Member

I think i'm going with Cotto-Mayorga this weekend. The trash talk has been excellent. Should be the most exciting fight of the night. The Martinez fight is the most meaningful.

5. what

what Member

He wanted a money fight that is for sure, but make no mistake, he could have had a beast of a fight in Pirog, but Martinez ducked him, so I'm glad he didn't get to fight pacman. Once martinez sees that he wont get pac again, then maybe he'll take the fight he should have fought this go around against dmitry pirog.

6. blacktopKING

blacktopKING Member

Cotto vs. Mayorga tonight! I got my money on Cotto.

7. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Good line up.

8. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Nobody can actually expect the Cotto/Mayorga fight to be an actual fight. Mayorga will be annihilated within 8 rounds, if it even takes that long. I expect the Martinez fight to be the best one of the night. You will see real boxing, not some goon going in there swinging like an untrained amateur. I don't dislike Mayorga because he talks ****, I dislike him because he is a terrible boxer, and how he still keeps getting fights with big names is beyond me.

9. blacktopKING

blacktopKING Member

Maybe because the guy fills the seats? He knows how to sell his fights. Why do you think he threatened to do MMA instead of boxing? He knew what he was doing. Don King came in and foiled that attempt and gave him a fight with a big name right away.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Cotto-Mayorga on PPV or just regular ol' HBO? :confused:

I'm going out to eat with some friends... wondering if I have to "leave for a few minutes" when it starts... ;)

11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Anyone know where I can stream the Cotto vs Mayorga fight? I don't see it listed on ATDHE.

12. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

13. Prince

Prince Member

glad i got HBO...

14. what

what Member

Bring it on Wolak! Yuri's gonna put you to sleep SON! I can't wait to see another Yuri Foreman fight! I'm a fan, babbbby!

15. Prince

Prince Member

would be fun if Mayorga sleeps on the coming 4th round :)

16. bladeage

I think Yuri's leg is never going to fully recover.

On another note... Sergio Martinez is a mother****ing BEAST! #1 P4P... Manny ain't got **** on this dude.

17. Prince

Prince Member

Mayorga is done, he KO'd himself by breaking his own hand.

18. what

what Member

Yeah, Yuri looks like he might be done. It's a damn shame. He was a great fighter.

Martinez needs to get it on with Pirog. Manny ain't going to give him a shot.

19. bladeage

I wouldn't say Yuri was great. He definitely had the skills, I liked his style, he was good. Had he not been injured then maybe he could have won another belt and given us some exciting fights. But **** happens. I'm sure he will probably try to fight again but as far as fighting elite boxers, it won't happen.

Pirog isn't experienced enough for someone like Martinez, he would school Pirog quick. At this point nobody wants it with Sergio, except Kirkland who might also not be quite there yet, although it would still be a hell of a fight. If he isn't going to fight Kirkland then move up maybe? Not sure how well Sergio will take a punch from someone at 168. I think Ward might be able to take Martinez.

20. what

what Member

If you mean "want" as in somebody able to give Martinez a challenge, well I don't agree with that point of view. But may I remind you that Sergio could have had Pirog and he chose to sidestep him by claiming that Pirog didn't bring any money to the table. If that's not ducking Pirog i don't know what is. I'm not saying that Martinez can't beat pirog, obviously Martinez is highly skilled, but Martinez also don't want any part of Pirog either. Pirog is an extremely dangerous fighter.

Kirkland doesn't have the skills to fight Martinez in my opinion.Martinez would pick him apart.