1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you agree to pay yao next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IBTL, Mar 10, 2011.

Tags:
?

What would you agree to pay yao next year?

1. 0 - GTFO he's done.. now - go win a championship with Miami or LA

11.7%
  2. 1 million a year

15.7%
  3. 2 -3 million a year

37.5%
  4. 4 - 6 million a year

25.8%
  5. 7-9 million a year

7.7%
  6. 10+ million a year

1.7%
  1. YDoof2

YDoof2 Member

A bag of chips. No, jk ;). I would give him 2-3 mil a year.

2. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

pay him whatever extra money he bring in revenue from marketing..

so i estimate 5 mmillion per year.

3. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I voted for 7-9, but somewhere between 5-8 mill/yr.

Honestly if we get that price for Yao, 50/50 chance of him being able to play is worth it considering where are we going to get anyone who is that good?

No real FAs, I don't know if we can make a trade for anyone, at least adding Yao to our core gives us a shot @ the title.

Basically assuming: 50% chance he comes, 10% chance to win title (assuming 8 or so teams who have a realistic shot @ winning it all & we are on the lower end of those teams, so under 12.5%) seems WAY BETTER than letting him walk and having just a 25% (guess %) at even making the playoffs let alone winning it all.

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

To add to this.

Who can we get for 5-8 mill/yr, and make us even remotely as good as Yao can make us?

Really as a fan you gamble so your team wins a title, nothing short of that. Yao is a gamble, but there is no other 5-8 mill/yr player that would even give us that chance.

5. ICanDunkOnYao

ICanDunkOnYao Member

I don't understand why you think Yao owes us anything.Sure, he has disappointed fans , but is it all his fault? Is he intentionally trying to harm the team?

If it weren't for Yao, the Rockets wouldn't nearly have as much revenue and popularity that they gained from China. Even scrubs on the team get ads in China! We should treat him with respect and pay him what he's worth on and off the court. Look at the market - I'm sure teams like Golden State will be trying to pry him away from us, for certainly more than the $3 mil. you guys are suggesting. Has the fanbase gone down so low, that they now low ball their franchise player?

6. Moahst

Moahst Member

You guys are all lowballing him. Fringe teams with cap space are going to throw some serious change at Yao. He will probably end up resigning with Houston, but it's not going to be for 2 or 3 mill. It's gonna be a lot. I'm not saying he deserves any more than a Grant Hill-type deal, but that's the way the basketball economy works. Talented big men, no matter what the age or what their 'fragility' might be, will make bank in the free agency. Especially international icons like Yao. I see Yao slowing down the Rockets for another 3 years with a fairly expensive contract.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

1 year deal. 5 large.

If Yao gets and stays healthy, a better deal can be considered the next year.

Yao may be done. It makes no sense to sign him to a longer deal.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As conservative as the Rockets have been about the future of Yao being resigned next season, I wouldn't expect any negotiations to start until after the NBA CBA negotiations, or lockout regardless of his health, but Im sure there will be a timeline to determine when they will negotiate with Yao.

-Given that Yao still has ten more weeks till he is scheduled to be out of the boot and doing some heavy walking/jogging, they can assume he wont be willing to go through a full NBA workout till about three months after he is released.

That means he wont be able to be in full NBA shape till the end of July at the earliest. At that time, they should have a good idea on if the NBA season will be locked out and know what kind of stress Yao's foot can take.

-If all goes to plan, the NBA has resolved negotiations, and Yao & the doctors feels like he can handle coming back full time, then expect the Rockets to start the bidding process for a reasonable contract around 3 to 4 mil a year, one year with a second year team option.

-This leaves the Rockets just enough money to either sign all three draft picks, or trade one or more of the picks and sign a mid level free agent ASSUMING the new CBA is something similar to what they are looking at now.

9. gah

gah Member

Lack of expirings

Because we won't be having huge expirings next year (-Yao's and Shane's and Ared Effries'), a big one year contract could be the final asset in netting us the superstar we covet, I'm predicting expirings to have better value next year.

I voted for 4-5 mill but now am thinking about the benefits of having a 10+ mill insurance covered expiring contract next year (and this is best case scenario in the worse case scenario)

10. dballa76

dballa76 Member

Veterans Minimum 1yr

11. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Is there a limit on incentives? It would be great to pay him solely on minutes logged but I'm sure that would be hell on the cap. Kind of like now actually.

12. alcatrazpsycho

Just when it seemed like the addiction was over, the drug dealer lowers his prices. :(

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd be pretty shocked if we gave him more than 3 or 4 million and more than one year.

I think Yao's loyalty might come into play. He wants to stay here, so he may be willing to sign for cheap on a 1 year deal even if there might be better offers out there. Then, if he can stay healthy, we'll pay him what he's worth at that point.

14. albuster

albuster Member

Whatever Alexander wants to pay Yao is fine with me. It's his money and only he knows what Yao is truly worth for his business and his franchise.

Also, if the Rockets are fine with paying Thabeet close to 10 million for two years then I am fine with paying Yao with whatever he is due. An injured Yao is light years better than Thabeet.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao should have been dealt before the deadline for young talent/expirings/picks. Heck, for that matter it should have happened 4 years ago....at the very least retire a Rocket....not this though.

I know Yao is Les's cash cow, the hero of many younger fans both Chinese and otherwise, and an impeccable ambassador.

But, c'mon enough is enough. DM has done a great job navigating through Yao/Tracy's contracts/injuries.....HE needs to be freed up to move this organization forward...WHOEVER the coach is, HE needs to be free to game plan without all the parallel contingencies that go with Yao. Our PLAYERS need to be free of this.....
    No more effing corperate/Chinese UNI'S !
    I love Yao, but this is about the Houston Rockets ......From Elvin to Rudy to Moses to Ralph to Dream and so on....It really pisses me off that Les still won't do the right thing basketballwise with regard to Yao.

I'm tired of being held hostage.

SOMEBODY PUT UP AN ORIGINAL ROCKETS LOGO FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

16. cglede

cglede Contributing Member

Are all of u going nuts! out of all the things we can be discussing you thinking about re signing Yao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This city seems to be ok with mediocrity... This team will never amount to anything if we keep taking 1 step forward and three steps back!!!!:mad:

Time to move on MAN!!!!! The only thing i want yao to be in this organization is G O N E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy is almost just as much a cancer as Steve and Tmac was to this organization.............

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

In a perfect world, he'd be paying us our $ back.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

roster space is more valuable at this point without paying, since its what we will get either way.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

i say veterans minimum, either way its going down the drain.

(thought I'd join in on the haters)

20. Stepping Razor

Oh no..that's a little tooo much!!