1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iso Players: Does this system repel superstar development?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EffTheJazz!!!, Mar 7, 2011.

?

What do you think?

1. I agree, good read

24.4%
  2. I disagree slightly, but you're point makes sense

20.7%
  3. I completely disagree, this is stupid

58.5%
  4. I dont care about his potential, I'm sick of his attitude, trade his ass

28.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

I honestly dont see whats so bad about being an iso/ball stopping player. It may not be within this system, but maybe that's why we've never been able to develop talented players like these into stars/studs. I'm not being arrogant, but name ONE superstar that doesnt handle the ball 75% of the time. Being an off the ball player is great (that's what our team is full of) in that it creates open shots. We are playing great and gelling with all this movement etc, but thats the first time this year and its when we're trying to catch up to the Memphis Grizzlies. What we are missing is someone who can take the ball and create own shots and control, at the same time making plays for others. When's the last time we were a consistent good team? When we had Tmac.. one of the best sg visions and iso scorers of all time IMO..

Now, with that said, I'm not saying that Twill is that guy, but he seems to have the skillset (vision, 1on1) to be something good. This has happened many times with us in the past, and we've traded them all away. True he doesnt play within the system, but which iso superstar (any superstar) would under adelman? Tmac got traded away for many reasons, but a major one being his style of play. I see many flashes of tmac in twill (sometimes good sometimes bad :mad:).. and i know he has A LOT to prove as he hasnt done anything yet but how will we know if a player has that "umph" if we don't play them? And by play them I dont mean try them for 5 minutes a game and then spit em out if they dont produce.

I, just like most here, am very angry with his actions, garbage time or not. But unlike many, i will not have a knee jerk reaction.. try to analyze this situation and what I'm saying..

Thoughts (not only a twill thread, but in general too)

1 person likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

EffTheYou! This is dumb.

Squid was allowed to run free last year, relatively, and ended up with a .459 TS%, 30 points below Rafer Alston level. And this shows we should devote time making him a superstar.

And if this is not about Squid, tell me who else we could have made into a superstar if not for Adelman. Jermaine Taylor?

And look at how he ruined Clyde Drexler's career.

#2 Carl Herrera, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. Giddy-What-Up

Giddy-What-Up Member

If Adelman stays after this season, I think we will get rid of Terrence.

Adelman's system is proven and takes precedence especially because the rest of our players fit so very well in it.

4. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

We have a bunch of guys that are playing very well right now. We are trying to make a push for the playoffs. Play t will consistent minutes now,.and kiss any chance for the playoffs goodbye. Team > any 1 player. ALWAYS.

5. VBG

VBG Member

Dwight Howard doesn't handle the ball 75% of the time.

Ray Allen played a lot like how Kevin Martin plays now. A lot of screens and some iso.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

our offense is 3rd in ppg and 7th in efficiency. without a superstar.

we need help defensively.

7. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Yes i understand that.. I'm fine with twill playing garbage minutes for the rest of the year.. i'm enjoying how we're playing and i dont care for twill enough to ruin our team.. but this is directed to everyone saying he sucks cus hes an iso player.. im not on a bandwagon, im just thinking ideas about this thing and tryna figure out how others feel..

8. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

I meant a wing.. obviously a post, not even dirk, can handle the ball for that much. Ray ray is a good example, but none are blessed with a beautiful stroke as his..

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

he sucks not cuz hes an iso player. he sucks cus hes a sucks player who plays sucks basketball. he needs to stop sucks.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

I will have to apologize in advance as I did not read the whole OP. The intelligence in it degenerated at such a velocity that I had to stop short of its entirety. So if I am missing something that has already been addressed I am sorry.

To reply to what I think you were getting at:

Problems with scoring is not the reason the team's record is what it is. We run a top 5 offense in the league. I don't know if it is motion or iso or triangle or rectangle. What ever it is we are running, it is working. Defense and rebounding is what keeps us from becoming a great team.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A not so cleverly disguised "Play TWill and Fire Adelman" thread.

1 person likes this.
  12. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Now youre just being stupid (and I use the word "now" loosely):rolleyes:. He's one of the most TALENTED players on this team. (Man I know some r****d is going to take this out of context and flame me ;))

13. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Like I've said many times.. I love how we're playing and i dont want to change the system.. I'm not talking about this season in particular but just an idea that may be worth something.. mostly directed towards twill and how he plays..

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I mostly agree with you.
    1) We shouldn't give up on anyone after a handful of games.
    2) In theory, to develop into a superstar you need a lot of touches.

However, my real problem is the idea that just because someone's a good athlete, he has the potential to be an awesome scorer. All that Williams has shown so far in this league is that he'll force the action any chance he gets, and his FG% and turnover rate bear it out. Basically, for me to overlook the fact that he's being a lazy ass just because he wants more minutes, he has to actually play well, and even in his best stretch last year he was putting up stats through volume, not through efficiency.

15. kapeci8

kapeci8 Member

GREAT THREAD IM GLAD SOMEBODY BROUGHT THIS TOPIC UP

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ideally you want someone you can give the ball to when the offense doesn't create an easy/acceptable basket by the time there is about 12 seconds or less left on the clock. I think Adelman can live with an iso player in that situation, but only then. And a player like Williams simply isn't good enough to command the ball in that situation.

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Oh you mean last year when he was a ROOKIE!

SMH

18. Grigori

Grigori Member

At the end of the day, Adelman's offense is built around exploiting defensive mistakes. When the defense tightens up and defensive mistakes are few, the "read and react" becomes "read and weep." Perenial bottom 5 in the clutch doesn't lie.

Whether T-Will can develop into a dominant iso player is beside the point; the point is even if we get Bron/Dwayne/Melo, Adelman can only shrug at Morey and say, "WTF am I gonna do with this guy? I've got no place for him in my system."

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

1. I want to know where you got this, since it would be kind of cool to check out these sort of stats

2. Is there any correlation between this and the year when Adelman had superstars? i.e. does it go up when he had Drexler/Porter, T-Mac, Webber, etc.? Or do all stars become impotent in the clutch when he takes the reigns?

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You are on drugs, Bron/Dwade will rape the league under the motion offense. Bet you anything they would do anything right now to play under RA instead of Spoe who only knows screen the screener and the pick N roll.