1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman Hall of Fame? again...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SeabrookMiglla, Mar 2, 2011.

1. SeabrookMiglla

http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=129901309898040400

great article, i never realized he started coaching at the community college level, talk about coming a long way. i hope adelman doesnt retire but hes getting up there in age, and this team has a journey to go before contender ship status. sounds like he likes it here in houston, maybe he will give it one last shot and stay here a few more years. but i doubt it. anyways sry if already posted

2. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Awesome article, thanks for posting...didn't see it anywhere else. I don't know, for me, it's hard to look at Rick the Ruler as a "player's coach"....he's more of a cerebral thinker......along the lines of the Phil Jacksons, IMO.

Also, TWill and I found it interesting to hear him talk about the plight of the new player in this league.
    "Play me, Rick!"

lol

3. Dei

Dei Member

He looks pretty good for whatever age he is.

Heck, if he quits it'll probably because Morey traded Battier so let's just hope the Rockets keep the streak alive.

4. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

^

We all get that vibe, though, that he doesn't get along with Morey...right? I always feel like they're on two different pages. :confused:

5. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

I dont think Morey and Adelman have a bad vibe. If anything I think they have a strong relationship. Any team is going to be saddened by the loss of Battier on their team strictly due to his personality. You can't argue with results though. Budinger is shining right now

6. SeabrookMiglla

my impression of adelman, and this is just me. that hes just a "straight shooter" kinda coach, no bs and ive always felt that way about him. people on here talk about "rick's doghouse" i dont think hes a dramatic kinda coach who gets involved with politics or picks favorites hes just there to coach. even though he picks up former players ie miller, martin. i still think he does it for the benefit of the team, and i think we do see the benefits of even a now less- athletic miller running the floor. some people also assert that he plays the "players he trusts" or starters during the clutch even if a bench player has the hot hand kinda like the wafer incident against LA. ive noticed he does it ususally during the regular season, i think his mentality is to try to get our starters (the guys who usually are supposed to close out games) especially those who are going to take the last shot, to get use to pressure situations. i mean it can be argued that, you dont wanna bench your starters like our former brooks halfway during the season during a close game because you wanna get him use to taking those clutch shots. you see phil jackson do it with kobe a lot also, kobe may have an off shooting night but when push comes to shove and you need someone to take that clutch shot, you want to be able to rely on your often best shooter. now if we set up a scenario like rockets in the finals, and our starting guy martin is shooting garbage while Lee has been on fire and it comes down to that last possession 8 seconds left with a time out. i think rick would trust the guy with the hot hand.

but hey im talking out my ass, im not trying to completely jerk rick off here and he has made some mistakes, but i trust him and i think hes earned that trust with the players. just my 2 cents...

7. SeabrookMiglla

woops meant to reply to RP

8. co-nan

co-nan Member

RA is a good coach though we just 31-31.
    He is much better than most coaches in this league.
    He only does something when it is really needed, like playoffs.

9. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

When you're in the Rockets position, there's no one to blame. Everyone's working their asses off, we just don't have the horsetransformers. Right now were exactly what meets the eye.