1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who can reach Thabeet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, Feb 25, 2011.

1. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I saw a thread that really made me think about the relationship with Yao and Thabeet. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=201438

Originally, I was not to excited about the trade that yielded Thabeet but this tread made me think that there is a lot of positives that can happen. Mainly, Yao is the only one that can probably reach Thabeet.

It has been documented that Thabeet doesn't like basketball, rather basketball found him. He comes from a society that poverty existes everywhere and to get out of that you have to be lucky.

This parrallels exactly with Yao, He comes from a communist society played the games because he was told to. Basically still is the property of China. The Game found Yao not Yao finding the game.

However, Yao has always felt that representing China was his reponsibility and his vast amount of pride for China has caused him to work hard. I believe he fears to let his people down, which is why his injuries irks him so much.

In conclusion, I think the only person that can reach Thabeet is Yao because he can relate to Thabeet. I hope he can instill pride into Thabeet's work so Thabeet will find that love that Yao has.

#1 phantoman, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

What's Hasheems' character like? Just from reading twitter he sounds just like everyone else and doesn't seem that interested in basketball...

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I chuckle every time I see someone suggest that the ROX "CALL HAKEEM". Thabeet will NEVER be the offensive player that Hakeem was just from the talent gap alone. Hakeem could help defensively but that's it. PLus would Hakeem even be interested considering his busy schedule.

Really the guy the Rockets should call & pay is Mark Eaton. Mark has impeccable credentials and figured out how to use his height to win TWO Defensive Player of the Year awards. Mark didn't have the distraction of being as athletic Thabeet but he played fundamental ball and was able to clog the lane just by raising his arms. Mark was unmovable on the block, so maybe he can show Thabbeet some tricks of the trade or just plain tell him to get stronger. Mark was an effective player despite being limited offensively.

There are helping hands already on deck for Thabeet in H-Town. I think Jack Sikma could really help the kid offensively because Jack has walked in 7-3 shoes before and has been effective in the NBA. The best part is that he's already on staff. Carol Dawson should be a strong helper as well. Say what you will about Carroll Dawson the GM, but he's got a strong rep for preparing bigs to play.

If Yao is healthy, :rolleyes: (I know can't believe I said it again) he'll be a GREAT workout buddy. (If he's here.)

If Thabeet doesn't at least become serviceable here with all the potential influence here & the fact he's already been dumped by Memphis, then this could really be his last serious look.

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

What's Hasheems' character like? Just from reading twitter he sounds just like everyone else and doesn't seem that interested in basketball.

For example, Deke, Hakeem, both humble countrymen that want to give back to their community, is Hasheem like this too or is he already too americanized and only cares about spending his fortune?

5. phantoman

I agree that houston has the tools and help to make him better, but the real question is how do we reach him? If the reports are true that he isnt motivated then no matter who we have it will be a waste of time. Because Yao's rise to basketball is basically the same as Thabeet,( Both dont really have the love of the game, they are required to). Yao should be able to related to the problems that Thabeet may have, how Yao over came them.
    Basically it comes down to a few things. Yao comes from a communist country and has pressures to suceed and take pride in making effort to do so. Yao is the face of NBA china and Yao does everything to live up to it. I hope those feeling of responisiblity rubs off to Thabeet from Yao.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Out of college he was said to have a remarkable work ethic and great confidence...

I hope he realizes that this is his last chance.

He has ALL the tools.

I can't help but be excited.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Willing to give the guy a clean slate and allow him some time to develop into something decent. My realistic expectations are by the end of next season he can be a serviceable big man that can defend, anything more would be gravy.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The guy doesnt want to be an NBA player, he is not going to work for it.

He is a paycheck guy. He will do enough to keep getting contracts and thats it.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Deke, Dream, and Yao (all foreign-born 7 footers). If these Rockets can't inpsire him, no one can.

10. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Deke - But you have to know what the hell he's saying... j/k.

Eaton would be great but I doubt he'll come to Houston...

11. phantoman

the good thing about houston is, houston has always been built around a solid/great center.....the tradition must continue...

12. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

The want to must come from within or he will be a failure as a center.

13. AggieRocketsFan

Thabeet and Yao working together is a really bad idea... Thabeet will accidentally foul him too hard and deliver another season ending injury.

14. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

have you seen his twitter account...? he calls himself hasheem the dream LMFAO. :grin: :grin:

15. onreego

onreego Member

"how do I reach these keeds?"

1 person likes this.
  16. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I just saw his twitter name HasheemTheDream. I hope he realizes that he better change that name really damn quick. Cause we will all have nightmares with that nickname... blasphemy.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

rockets are going to have to call out the big guns....

[​IMG]

18. double d

double d Contributing Member

Watched some Uconn highlights, the guy had some amazing blocks in NCAA play. He also had trouble staying on Hibbert, this guy has concrete shoes.

Just like you can't teach height, you can't teach speed either.

19. Jaingfang

Jaingfang Member

20. supdudes

supdudes Member

YEH SP baby!