1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA might be the biggest scam in current sports

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Ramu3, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

NFL def has parity , I have no idea about NHL , but i have heard there are a lot of upsets each year in the playoffs. MLB is pretty bad also , there are only quite small # of teams able to win a title . NBA is like the world , where a small # of countries almost the run the whole World .

NBA is becoming more more of a scam in the long run . Why would i be inclined to spend money on a product that i know will not be "viable " in the long run for a team that has no chance to even win a title in the near future.

Honestly there are only like 5-6 teams who have a strong chance to win a title .

2. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Not to mention we have players like Howard , CP3 , D-Will calling their shots to leave to join other "Super teams " . Can't wait for other 22-23 teams to have no shot at the title .

3. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

i'll pay attention to anything david stern says when the timberpups win the title for a 3peat.

oh wait..

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

NBA's always been this way, look at how many rings the lakers and celtics hav,e and it's because basketball is a star dominant sport. Unlike most other sports, olYERS PLAY BOTH DEFENSE AND OFFENSE, IF YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD two way player(Howard, Lebron) playing a lot of minutes, you're oging to win. Just the way basketball has always been.

5. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Lol, we didn't seem to care too much when we had Yao and Tmac..

6. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Because that was only two stars and there were more teams contending than just a few......a lot different than the heat, boston, lakers, and what the knicks could possibly turn out to be.

7. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

I think moreso due to players that were drafted or traded for because other teams are trying to go through a youth movement or something of sorts. the Miami situation really just have 3 people who decided to do what they do to play together in their primes. I'm not even sure if that's a "lazy way out" or what, but it sure doesn't seem to sit right with a lot of people.

The last instance where I could think of someone doing a similar thing was... Malone/Payton? Of course, they're nowhere near their prime at that time. Rodman to Bulls.... Barkley was traded to Phoenix. Some Bull to Rockets was pretty much as close as it gets. So I guess it's valid because at the time, I'm sure no one here was complaining.

8. Omega Red

Omega Red Member

oh com'mon dude , if that was the case then they would have cashed in on the whole Yao and China thing back when he was actually still in descent shape... :rolleyes:

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

New stars are always born.

Durant, Westbrook in OKC.

Cousins, Evans in in Sactown

Wall in Washington

The Blakers

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Its always been this way in the NBA , the Celtics won how many titles in a row in the late 50's to early 60's ? I think it was 8.

Two teams have won 33 of a possible 64 championships with 51 combined appearances over the same span. Of those 51 appearances they have failed to win it all only 19 times.

I dont feel the need to name those teams .... we all know who they are.

11. Mooch

Mooch Member

cool story bro

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Nobody cared when Tmac forced a s&t to Houston.. :rolleyes:

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

20 different teams have won the last 30 World Series

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Do not blame the NBA. Blame the game of basketball. Individual players can affect the game infinitely more times in basketball than they can in any of the other major sports.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....you mind as well throw out the way the league was run pre-Stern. Completely different league back then. Stern took over in 84(when Jordan entered the league) and we have had at least 27 teams since 1989(when the league expanded by 4 teams - two of which have since made it to the Finals) and since 89, 18 out of the 27(and later 30 teams since adding Vancouver/Memphis, Toronto, and Charlotte) teams have made it to the Finals. That's not too bad if you ask me. Although it does seem like there have been a lot of dynasties in that time - the Bulls, Lakers, Spurs, Pistons, and Rockets have all won multiple titles since 89 and account for all but two of the winners since 89(Miami and Boston are the other winners)....but if reaching the finals is a success, more than half the league's franchises have made it to the big stage.

We all know there are some inequalities regarding star treatment, and the way the league seems to be shifting towards super teams recently isn't a good sign but look at it like this - until KG and Allen came to Boston, they hadn't sniffed the Finals in 20 years. I guess I'm just saying that the numbers don't seem to support that only a handful of teams can compete against each other in the big game.

Teams making the Finals since 89:
    Detroit
    Los Angeles
    Portland
    Chicago
    Phoenix
    Houston
    New York
    Orlando
    Seattle
    Utah
    San Antonio
    Indiana
    Philadelphia
    New Jersey
    Dallas
    Miami
    Cleveland
    Boston

16. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Yea i was going to say, the San Fran Giants won this year. Nobody... and i mean NOBODY picked the giants to even win there division, let alone the pennent. Cool your jets Bart Simpson... the NBA is still fun as ever to watch because of the skill and athleticism still in it.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The biggest hurdle you have with parity in the NBA is this:
    With 5 guys out on the court at a time, and the 5 starters representing two thirds of your player minutes on average, one star has a disproportionate influence on your success.

NFL: 53 man roster, 11 on the field at a time, no one individual can take over a game (closest being a Mike Vick or Troy Palamolu, but even they need more help than meets the eye), no one individual (possible exception of Manning) can turn a doormat into a contender.

MLB: similar issue where you cna put the best player in the game on an otherwise bad team....and they stay bad (A-Rod on the Rangers).

NHL - same story, unit>>>any one individual.

NBA: turning up a true franchise guy sets a team. Spurs/Duncan. Thunder/Durant. Magic/Howard. Cavs/LeBron. The cast puts teams over the top, but it's the star that drives the engine.

Trick is, there are only a handful or two of "true" franchise guys in a league with 30 teams. Just check the playoff standings. Only a couple exceptions on the outside with one (Nash, Griffin maybe). No one in the top 4 of either conference without one.

It's very much a have/have not league, with not even 15 franchise guys to go around and no substitute if you're without one.

Hard cap/soft cap....you aren't going to change the fact that there isn't enough talent out there to balance things out.

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Jokes on you for watching a scam all these years and still following it as evidenced by your post on this board.

[​IMG]

19. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I'll be the one laughing when Dan Gilbert brings a title to Cleveland before the Heat win a title :cool:

20. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I think that is the point, when the Rockets are in contention we are 1 of 6 fan bases that want to watch their team, then other fan bases aren't interested.

The only types of fan bases that will watch regardless:
    The only 1 sports team cities: San Antonio/Utah
    The exciting player city: Clippers (for right now it's the case, obv Clippers fans don't come every year).

It makes it hard to watch when players want to make super teams, it wouldn't be bad if they have a contraction, but as it stands right now, it will make it hard to watch, knowing going into this postseason: Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, Heat is going to be the semifinals, with an off chance for Chicago, Dallas, or Orlando to make it that far, but likely not win it all.