1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics, Rockets discuss Shane Battier trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Feb 21, 2011.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That 1st Rounder, IIRC, would also be a poison pill of sorts not only because of it's low pick status but also it's guaranteed 1st Round money. Morey would have to probably flip that pick later on.

2. On Top

On Top Member

SHAQ DADDY

3. Gant

Gant Member

Here's the deal on the Celtics:

Perkins won't be in this trade. No way.

Neither will Shaq. No way again.

Erden's not soft. He's a tough kid just learning the league and shows a lot of promise.

Bradley is extremely young and inexperienced. He missed training camp and summer league with an ankle injury, which set him back.
    He's a fantastic tenacious defender with amazingly long arms. He's very athletic and quick. He has not shown much yet on offense, but is reported to be a a hard worker and eager learner.
    Bottom line, he's too young and hasn't played enough to to judge yet.

4. jasona88

jasona88 Member

Nice. Hopefully this trade gives us an extra roster spot so we can call up the bulls and bring in...

[​IMG]

5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

It's partially guaranteed, I believe. And teams salivate over those 1st rounders, for some reasons. Just look at Denver's lust for them. Is it so hard to see Garnett, Allen, or Pierce (or some combination thereof) getting injured next year and making that pick more valuable?

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm a little stunned there are not more posters here throwing celebrations after all the threads/posts throwing Battier under a bus.

Also, I'm also wondering what on earth some you are smoking or drinking while posting.

Getting a 1st round pick for Battier versus keeping him for 3 months during which time this team will like develop our young players anyways seems pretty much a "duh" thing. Of course, it seems pretty much impossible unless the Celtics send us Big Baby + Marquis Daniels or Nate Robinson and enough money to buy them/him out.

It's not like I expect him to resign with the Rockets in the off season anyway.

7. RocketMania1991

Even just a Bradley for Battier makes sense from what Morey has stated.

We want players with upside. 20 year old> 33 year old.

Case closed :cool:

8. anchel

anchel Member

It's pretty obvious they're not giving Perkins in exchange. But Shane is as important for us (if not more) as Perkins it is for Boston.

Both are expirings, but we all know we have more chances of retaining Shane if he finishes the season in Houston.

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

1 million. We aren't the freaking Clippers, and we aren't going to give up Battier for what appears to be a bad PG, 1 million, and a late first rounder. Come on guys.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Battier has paid his dues and deserves to be placed in a good spot. If it is a pick in the out years, that would be fine.

I love the guy as a Rocket, but we're not doing anything this year... so give the man a shot.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This. Our team is going NOWHERE. We're not going to be contenders for a very long time. Are we really going to stubborn and flail around in mediocrity like a spoiled child or are we going to cut our losses and rebuild for the future? Hopefully, the latter. Not only is sending Battier to Boston a classy move, it wouldn't hurt us anyway.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

Totally agree add perkins ang that a deal.

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'd love to see Battier hoisting a championship trophy, even if it's not in Houston. But, looking at the Celtics roster, there's not much I see them giving us, they have very few young players, and besides they're salaries are very low and it would be hard to match. We'd have to bring in a 3rd team for this to work.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd take their 2014 1st Rounder. By that time,

Ray Allen should be retired
    Kevin Garnett should be retired or near Patrick Ewing as a Sonic status
    Paul Pierce should be at the tail end of his career too

So I'm thinking that pick should be at LEAST a mid-round pick

15. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

incredibly lame man.. how about an insightful comment..

Battier would be great for the C's and would put them over the top FOR SURE (altho I think theyre the favorites as they are) Shane deserves it and I'd be rooting for Boston for sure

16. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I think a million dollars and a late 1st rounder is a fair exchange for 3 more months of Battier.

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

It doesn't help us. I like Battier, but I'm not giving him away for nothing, and a late first rounder is pretty much nothing. He has a role with this team even if we are rebuilding. Sentimentality won't help us win.

1 person likes this.
  18. delta69er

delta69er Member

Battier deserves better than us, but I think we deserve better than a late 1st round pick :/

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

This.

I suspect this is more of a move to give a respected man a shot at something he's worked hard for here but never played out. I hope we don't have to eat a bad contract for this but oh well if we do. I know I've ragged on him before but I've really come to see him as one of the Rocket MVPs. Its time for him to get his shot before it's too late. And if this happens, who doesn't want to see the Celtics now take out the East...and West?

20. worzel gummidge

Gay for Battier for nothing. That doesn't hurt?