1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dunk Contest

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by srrono, Feb 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

LeBron better hurry up and join this dunk contest.

His athleticism has diminished throughout these few years, he's still the best athlete though.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What was up with Dr J stealing a kiss from Mcgee?

Griffin jumped over a hood...big deal. Technically any player who can take off from the dotted line and raise their legs can do it, which is more than a few in the league. He should have used a smaller car or a convertible and jumped over the middle of it.

Ibaka's Ft dunk wasn't that impressive because he caught it on the way down. He was almost standing when he dunked it. Not a lot of height or hang time on it like MJ had..Barry even had more. Not good enough for a 50.

They need to do away with the time limit....it makes players rush to complete it and that's why you get so many misses...they miss the first, then rush, miss those too because they get tired...then they gather themselves and put it down. Just give them 3, maybe 4 attempts and that way they can pace themselves and probably wil only need 2 or 3 attempts most of the time.

If players keep it to 2-3 attempts then there's no need to eliminate dunkers. Let them all dunk in both rounds and shuffle the order in the 2nd round based on the first round scores. This way players won't be penalized for saving better dunks. Add up all the scores in the end to declare the winner.

3. Mr. Space City

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:confused:

4. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

He has never had spectacular dunks. That has been his draw back. I think thats why Blake Griffen awes so many people.

Somebody somewhere told his that the "King" is to important to grace his presence in the dunk contest.

Hey maybe not a one hour special but he may have a 20 minute conference announcing his decision to be in the dunk contest next season.

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

my god

the dunk contest is seriously destroyed by all the props and gimmicks

demar got robbed

if the first try of Griffins 1st dunk worked that would have been sweet, 3rd try was still not epic

mcgees lame 2/3 ball dunks, were just unimpressive to me

they should stop picking 7 footers or tall guys, there is nothing they can do with perfection and finesse like someone whos 6'5-6'9

6. Ashes

Ashes Member

There's no difference in hangtime. Just Jordan's leg flair. Gravity doesn't change.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't think that's true. Gravity doesn't change, but the weight of the person jumping, how high he can jump, etc. all factor in to hangtime.

8. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

James White laughs at these silly free throw line dunks. Trying doing windmills and between the legs and he will get back to you.

9. worzel gummidge

The NBA is going hard at marketing Griffin.

10. TreP3

TreP3 Contributing Member

I'm aware of the heights of Dr. J and Jordan. My argument is quite the opposite of yours -- I think there are and have been PLENTY of players (certainly more than 5) that can dunk from the FT line area, especially with the speed and athleticism of big men in today's game. I do agree that difficulty should be taken into consideration, but creativity has to count for something.

The car dunk was weak, and the setup was too long. There are too many allowances for props and setup. I was annoyed that Ibaka messed up his dunk by biting the toy but not getting the dunk -- they stopped the clock to put the toy back.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You're right, if that first one had gone in, it would've been absolutely sick. That was an awesome combination of creativity, power, and finesse in that dunk.

12. TreP3

TreP3 Contributing Member

Yes, it is from Galdiator. Still, it sounded like an unintentional commentary on slavery, particularly with Ibaka coming out with the NBA Africa signs. I chuckled.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The greatest dunk contest of all time -- 2006 NCAA...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UwxA-pHhVwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That dude tries to dunk from a foot behind the free throw line.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Name them, no speculation either. I'm not talking about with 3/4ths of their foot inside the line either like pretty much every attempt.

The guys that have been mentioned here are Jordan/Erving/Pippen/ and now Ibaka. It's hard to add much creativity to that because it is such a difficult dunk. On difficulty alone that dunk is a 50, especially when the guy takes off from pretty much behind the line. I'm not even counting James White because i'm talking about the NBA and the dunk contest.

Any ways thats what I don't like about the dunk contest now. You put on a show before the dunk and you can now get away with a basic two handed dunk as long as you do all this stuff before the dunk and get everyone hyped up about it.

15. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

funny how many ppl forget hwo many ppl have done free throw line dunks

yet the nba forces u to watch mj/dr.

who was it gerald wallace in 91?
    also did it

and of course dj white bread did it 2x in the same year

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Out with the old, in with the new.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Which Gerald Wallace are you talking about?

18. Zackery

Zackery Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/te7bMv2Eo2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Am I the only person impressed by this dunk. I think the degree of difficulty is pretty high here.

19. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

My vote's still with the 2000 NBA contest, but this is right behind.

Flight White, Wilborn, and Carney put on a show.

1 person likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Carney misses that dunk a foot behind the free throw line by a millimeter -- dude just went all out on every dunk.