1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kahn: "There is no more rebuilding"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Feb 17, 2011.

1. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

The T-Wolves have a decent roster with a huge lot of upside. The Beasley trade was a great move.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Not really. If all you look at is the roster, well yeah, there some nice pieces there. But if you consider they've been picking at the top of draft for the last 6 years, then he's done one of the worst jobs ever. Once you start thinking of how he gave away Al Jefferson for a low first rounder, and how he spent two top 5 lottery picks on pgs but missed out on Jennings and Stephen Curry then he becomes even more laughable. His best player (Love) isn't even drafted by him.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"He has put together some decent talent."

I wish we could have jumped in on Michael Beasley and Al Jefferson for some marginal draftpicks...

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The T-Wolves have been so irrelevant for such a long time that I only catch a smattering of their games. Does anybody here watch them consistently and if so, what do you think are the primary reasons behind their suckage this season?

I see lots of points and rebounds and LOSSES. So, what's the problem keeping them from winning games?

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I live in Minnesota. I go to Wolves games on a fairly regular basis ( mostly because tickets are super cheap)

Wes Johnson is an okay player, not a star. Darko's good at blocking shots, and that's about it. I would not be surprised to see Flynn out of the league in three years, he's THAT awful. And their bench is laughably pathetic. Even Beasley is overhyped. He's a good offensive force, but his defense is so-so and he has the tendency to do fairly stupid crap when he's on the offensive end.
    And Rubio has been playing like crap these days in Spain.

The Wolves game against us was the one time when I've seen their backcourt not play like total crap. I am not joking.

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I agree, but anybody can draft young talent or trade away solid veterans for youngsters over a five year period of being in the lottery. Let me know when the team actually starts showing that it is well constructed or that they can consistently win games.

That's the problem with a team completely full of youth. It's hard to actually improve when you're just barely trying to keep your head above water.

7. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

Exactly what I was thinking. That team has more potential than the rockets at this point

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Potential to do...... what, exactly? Fall in an 8th seed? Because that is the ceiling for this team, especially if they keep Rambis around.

9. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Again, this is due to bottom feeding for a long time resulting in tons of young talent through the lottery. Comparing the T-wolves and Rockets is like comparing a Snoopy snow-cone machine to an avalanche. The front offices aren't even in the same atmosphere.

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I really don't understand how people come to these conclusions. Are you just looking at average age of players and when they were taken in the draft, and then concluding the team has potential? I agree that some individuals have talent and could get better, but I don't see how anyone can make a judgment the team is on the up-and-up when there is absolutely no evidence of that.

#30 DCkid, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Trade deadline is almost here. He's just managing the expectations of the fanbase so they understand he won't be making a dramatic trade at the deadline. Nothing to see here.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Apparently Kahn's version of "collecting talent" is expending lottery picks to find serviceable role players.

....and you wonder why people think this guy is a joke.

13. Prince

Prince Member

LOL. exactly my thoughts hehehe No wonder ...

14. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

what does contraction mean i never said a word about practice
    we talkin about practise

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The biggest thing is that no one on that team wants to play any defense. The only player who really does most of the time is Corey Brewer but he does not seem to get minutes he probably should.

On offense, it essentially a turn-based RPG in each each player gets the ball an a shot and then its someone elses turn. There is very little team-play or system on offense. Part of that is because not all their pieces fit together. Part of it is on the coaching.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

I guess when you say "put together" I would have thought there was actual effort on the GM's part. However what Kahn has been doing is just waiting for lottery picks and picking crap players with them. Like I said his best player wasn't chosen by him (Love), and Flynn, Wes Johnson et al were all lottery picks. I mean, he was supposed to pick somebody with his top 5 pick, right? Its not like his picks were gold either, Flynn looks like a 2nd rounder and Rubio still hasn't gone to the NBA. Wesley Johnson is a nice player to have however they passed on guys like PP and Cousins to get him. I just don't think he deserves credit except from the Beasley trade, which everyone seems to overhype at this point.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Minnesota has potential..... to be the 10th seed.

yeah, maybe the wolves have better young players than the rockets, but morey keeps trying to making the team better, while Kahn is happy with this team, and doesnt want to make more changes.

I would be pissed if a was a wolves fan, and I heard the GM saying that.

Right now they are the worst team in the West and they only have 3 more wins than the Cavs, so they are far away from being relevant in the NBA.

18. VBG

VBG Member

I like what he said. He's sticking by the team instead of saying everyone's up for trade.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That team is rivaling the 1999-2000 Rockets for the greatest team ever assembled.

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I am not sure if the Timberwolves can play great defense. Beasley gets time over their best defender Brewer. Beasley is an undersized 4 playing at the 3. He is too slow to keep up with other SFs.