1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN INSIDER-Big Picture is Morey's Priority

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by greatpacha1, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

Can some1 with insider please post what is commented here on ESPN insider.
    ESPN Insider

Thanks in advance

2. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

Houston general manager Daryl Morey thought his team would make the playoffs, however going into the All-Star break they're five games below .500 and 12th in the Western Conference standings. Morey has been very active talking to other teams about potential deals and his goal is to improve the Rockets for the long-term.

"Our trade deadline moves have to be about getting us closer to where we want to be in the big picture, versus in the short run," Morey told the Houston Chronicle. "It doesn't mean we won't do moves that would improve us in the short run, but I think the big picture is priority one."

Morey also said he would consider taking on more salary -- they are already over the tax threshold this season -- if it helps the team going forward.

Players that could be moved because their contracts are set to expire after the season include Yao Ming, Shane Battier, Aaron Brooks, Chuck Hayes, Jared Jeffries and rookie Ishmael Smith.

3. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

sounds like Morey is trying to avoid getting band aids that keep us in purgatory and is looking for a more long term solution. For that, I am optimistic.

4. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

yea, i hope so. This week is going to be crazy! I hope Morey pulls off something spectacular. lol.

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Couldn't agree more. This is the right move.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well with Rudy Gay down for the time being, we still have a chance to catch them. Especially with a so called easier schedule after the break. Also, getting Nene would definitely help in that aspect. I am one of the few who believe that Nene could get us right back into things.

7. Prince

Prince Member

Yao Ming, Shane Battier, Aaron Brooks, Chuck Hayes, Jared Jeffries and rookie Ishmael Smith.

We can trade all of them for a Dwight Howard.

8. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

In a dream....I would literally cry if we got Dwight...lol

9. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Im with you 100%

10. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

one player change and A WHOLE TEAM ATTITUDE CHANGE would get us back in gear easily.

11. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

what is the point of eeking by to get into 8th place? why not look for a more longterm solution as opposed to solutions that keep us in purgatory for even longer?

12. Prince

Prince Member

yeah, i believe in Thing 1 and Thing 2.

13. Prince

Prince Member

Mind the 'a'.

14. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

[​IMG]

Thing 3?

1 person likes this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

can you begin to imagine the excitement and energy this franchise would generate if that happened? i would be crazy excited about that.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why does this count as "insider" content? it's a rehashed quote from the Chron and a recitation of expiring contracts. What garbage.

17. Prince

Prince Member

That's close LOL.

[​IMG]

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Nene would surely help but I get the idea that he would only be a band-aid right now - I just dont see him being a "Big Picture" piece.
    How does he fill the viod going forward ? Good but not great is the answer I get. He's decent at everything but great at nothing and really doesnt have much potential to get better.

He has the option to opt out of his contract at the end of this season. If he were to resign he'd likely want similar money - so we are starting at $11m. Thats putting three guy's - all second / third tier at about the same money in Martin , Nene and Scola.

Then we have to consider what the Rockets give up to get him here for what can turn out to be a 25 game rental.

Four teams to pass with 25 to go and 5 games behind the 8 seed. If those four teams go ~.500 the Rockets have to play .750 ball for a 25 game stretch. (what teams do the Rockets hold tie breakers over?)

Does Nene really make this a team capable of going 20-5 over the final 25 ?

For the Rockets to have a legit shot , two teams need flatline.

I'd much prefer that they aquire either a young center or SF who can be effective on both ends of the floor than throw assets at Denver for Nene.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, that is true for 99 % of the ESPN "insider" stuff. I regret having paid for it.

20. Rockets_4_life

OMG, just give it up already! were not making the effing playoffs, sheesh! And NO Nene is just band-aid, by the time the Rockets are contention again Nene will be well into his 30's and past his prime. The same things can be said for Kevin Martin and Luis Scola, which is why I want to trade both for elite young prospects.

Also on the center dilemma, the Rockets need a young center (Aldrich, Whiteside, Koufos) to develop, so by the time their in contention again, he'd be just entering his prime and ready to contribute at championship level - JMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.