1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBS: Some execs believe Courtney Lee-for-OJ Mayo would make sense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 16, 2011.

1. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I can't see Mayo handling playing behind K Mart very well

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

could Mayo play the 3?

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Curious to hear your take on Mayo, MemphisX. Your thoughts on Stromile Swift certainly proved to be correct (if memory serves). I was a big fan of Mayo's at the draft... felt he would be a very good player. I even thought Minnesota got the short end of the Mayo-Kevin Love deal. I'm surprised he is where he is right now.

Thabeet on the other hand... I'm not a fan. I know he's 7-3 and the Rockets don't have any of that, but he looks like a major bust. He just turned 24 years old (today) and is owed over $5 million for next year. Only real bright spot I see for Houston is he can be expiring in '12, which is a deal you can hope to flip next deadline, and you can take a 12-month flyer to see if he can block a few shots. Personally, I think he's a negative value contract... deadweight attached to an OJ Mayo deal.

1 person likes this.
  4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If we are giving up Lee for Mayo, I would seriously go for unloading whatever it takes to get Gasol as well... F Thabeet

5. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

Speculation....

I can not wait for the 24th.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

That was my rationale in the Lee/Jeffries/2nd rounder trade proposal. Are you hearing anything from the Rockets side that they would be even interested in Mayo or Thabeet (especially)?

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Mayo for Lee is a no brainer

[​IMG]

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

With that in mind, a Scola for Mayo/Thabeet deal would be interesting. I am 100% in the same boat with you, Clutch, on Thabeet. I don't think he's a player. But he could be a nice expiring contract for trade next season. And Memphis has to find a low budget replacement for Zach. They're simply not going to pay him big dollars. If they have Scola, it makes them a better team right now heading toward a playoff push. And then if Zach does re-sign for reasonable dollars next season, they can flip Scola or Zach for something else, whichever one they value less.

Acquiring Mayo would definitely be interesting. And it would have to coincide with a further shakeup of our swingmen and expirings for a legit big man. Perhaps Lee and Hill to Chicago for Gibson and Asik.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I like Lee, but I think he has "topped out" of his potential. He is what he is. And that's not bad. Solid role player. But OJ Mayo seems to have some room left to grow potentially.

Is OJ Mayo a PG like Russell Westbrook? I don't know a ton about him.

Other than the fact Twill is taller/bigger, any differences between TWill's game and OJs? (not that it would dictate whether I would trade for OJ or not. Right now Rockets just need to collect high ceiling talent and work things out later).

EDIT: I totally agree with Clutch on Thabeet.

10. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I only like Lee for Mayo if Martin is in turn traded to drastically improve the 5.

11. RocketEG6

RocketEG6 Member

Mayo for Lee? Really? :eek: Where I have to sign? :grin:
    The only drawback could be the Thabeet's contract :p

12. mrjuandiego1988

man there should be an IQ exam before joining clutchfans! ..... somewhere deep down i know u are not being for real. at least i pray so ... :p

13. OkayAyeReloaded

Mayo has more potential, but really in actual development and production is just a hair better than Lee. And Mayo is the type of player who could easily become overpaid because people fall in love with his draft pick position. (in other words as of right now in his career he's somewhat overrated) He doesn't get to the basket as often as he should (some report he lacks a quick first step to even get there) or draw fouls like other star potential scorers do. His ability to consistently create his own shot has been questioned too.

Lee on the other hand is not overrated, and will get an appropriate contract. (Mayo is paid about double what Lee gets with very similar career production)

Mayo's production has progressively gotten worse each year he's been in the league in just about every stat. Maybe a change of scenery would help, If he takes a contract that matches his current production (and not based on love for his potential) I would do it. It is a slight gamble. If we keep Lee, I wouldn't be upset either.

Check their compared career numbers, Lee and Mayo match-up very closely and they have been in the league just about the same time:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...&sum=1&p1=leeco01&y1=2011&p2=mayooj01&y2=2011

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am at work else I would research this myself but could someone do a statline comparison of Lee and Mayo. I have a hunch Lee is performing better at everything, getting paid less, and is a better defender.

edit: nm^ just what I thought.

15. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Im seriously debating not coming back to clutchfans until the deadline.

But on an off note what about...

Lee to memphis

Mayo to bulls or suns for asik or gortaT?

Both would prob prefer upside of mayo

16. mrjuandiego1988

who else is going to score in the post? hill? :confused: :rolleyes:

17. Jdawg

Jdawg Member

Does Mayo play defense? I believe the answer is no. Lee does. There would definitely need to be more to this deal than just Mayo for Lee for it to make sense. Personally, I'm not a Mayo fan.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Question for Memphis X, or somebody who has followed the Grizzlies closely- how did Mayo do when he played point guard?

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thats a garbage trade. Not even lateral. Mayo doesn't play defense. Lee is better.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I like this actually, something like:

Mayo to Bulls
    Lee to Grizzlies
    Asik + Bobcats pick to Houston