1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBS Reporter Raped in Egypt by Mob

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SunsRocketsfan, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is nothing short of tragic. Logan's done a lot of amazing Middle East stories and managed to stand out as an extremely young reporter on the very best and most experienced news team on television. It's obviously always bad when someone gets raped but that much worse when it forces you to reevaluate or possibly even abandon your entire life's work. God, how awful.

1 person likes this.
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

She made her name for going into war zones. Hopefully she isn't scared off.

3. bloop

bloop Member

Learn to read?

Seriously. Learn to read and process information impartially instead of jumping to conclusions by projecting your own brain synapsis onto events that may or may not fit.

This is the reuters news feed that basically every report in US media is reporting off of

Yeah, Pro-Mubarak supporters celebrating Mubarak's downfall. Genius.

I'm going to suggest you don't get the entirety of your news from TMZ. Then maybe "Everything I've read/heard" might be a bit more comprehensive.

If they cared about the country's "public image" they wouldn't have been beating up reporters all these weeks. What's actually "mind-numbling stupid" is that you fail to comprehend that people are being randomly assaulted all over the country. Hundreds of reporters have been beaten or killed which is what we in the West care about. But you ever stop and think in the violence, how many Egyptian men are being beaten and women are being raped without cause by opportunists on both sides that's not being reported and b****ed about on blogs? I guess if we don't think about it, it isn't happening. Clearly Lara Logan is a very very isolated case of political intrigue. Because... you know... during riots woman and men aren't both being assaulted every day in the streets.

There is absolutely no substantiation for any of what you posted: that it was a premeditated or political act. In fact every report of the incident exactly counters what you claim... and that in fact it was a spontaneous upswell of hundreds of people so sudden that Logan was separated from her crew and security. During that confusion a crime of opportunity and vengeance happened among some of that crowd that resulted in the assault of a particular female reporter. Eventually members of the Egyptian military were able to separate Logan from her crowd of assailants.

If it was a pro-mubarak political act, why would the military (who have always been pro-mubarak) have been the ones to break up the assault and beat/detain the offenders? If it were political act instead of simply the act of an opportunistic band of thugs, why wouldn't everyone else in the crowd (who we would expect could see their enemies perpetrating a "political act" quicker than Carl Herrera) stepped in immediately and beaten the perpetrators as they have been for weeks in running battles in the streets? I mean they have the numbers now it's time for payback when these guys are CLEARLY perpetrating a political act. I guess then the ENTIRE demonstration of thousands in Tahrir Square was merely one elaborate shill populated by Mubarak supporters to lure and rape Lara Logan expertly coordinated to localize then separate her among a crowd of Mubarak supporters... which all in the end would do nothing to further their cause since Mubarak has already abdicated all power....

Again. Genius.

The problem with your post, as with most of your posts is your incredible inability to logically process anything beyond your black and white worldview of these people over here are "good" people and those over there are "bad." Well, substitute "those people over there" for "my people" and you have the idea.

It's just sad that anyone can non-ironically post that "elements of that regime has a history of doing such things" as if they're the only ones who were inclined towards violence. You realize that elements opposing Mubarak have long included Egyptian Islamic Jihad, Muslim Brotherhood and others? You realize that college professors or people who use the internet also might also be anti-semitic or hate the West and hate having a white women walking around during "their" celebration spreading "lies" or judgments about their movement? Again you see people over on one side "good people" who couldn't have possibly do anything bad and people on the other side as "bad" who cant do anything but evil. A woman has been raped. Must have been the "other side" whatever speculative mental gymnastics must be executed to get to that point.

Take the story for what it is. In a time of violence there was an act much like thousands of other acts happening in that country.

I agree with you but her story is an analogy to the larger story of what's happening in Egypt that most of us never think about and don't give a **** about. She was willing to take the risks of paying the costs for her higher purpose. Similarly there's got to be thousands of similar horrific stories for women and men all over Egypt that we never think about but which I guess the country is willing to endure for its higher purpose. Read up about any resistance movement and the violence, rape and pillage that happened even among carlherrera's "good guys" like the post-colonial Indians or South African natives after Apartheid.

Again those fukers should be strung up by their balls for what they did to Logan but we Americans should be cognizant of the larger cost of this **** across the country and understand this is far from the only incident (or one so shocking that we need to conspiracy theory to wrap our heads around it) even when the victims aren't white and hot but brown or w/e.

4 people like this.
  4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Getting raped by 200 guys may do that to someone. Being in an environment like that she should have had more protection around her. Very attractive lady.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CT-Hq117w8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Apparently the Egyptians took the world "hit" (as "hit" in CF.net meme "I'd hit it") both literally and figuratively.

6. Asian Sensation

Dayumm she's fine as hell and her voice is intoxicating in a good way. So seductive. She should be an actress not a reporter.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Reminds me a little of Charlize Theron.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This isn't even an argument. There are going to be immoral thugs in the crowd; there is no question.

9. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

this is what happens when u give freedom to people who are not ready for it yet. the minute mobarak leaves office ****s like this happens. coincidence?

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

11. SunsRocketsfan

wow what a awesome post!!!

I really dont undestand how Tschmal and Herrera can make such strong assertions with no facts to back it up. Anyways great post again

Also she does have a really nice voice I really hope she will be okay. It's just sad that the people who did this to her will most likely get away scott free since Egypt is just in complete chaos.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You'd have to be real ignorant to assume that this MUST be a lie or exaggerated. The security situation was poor, and I'm sure this is not the only case of it happening. I know that anyone with the accent of oil-rich arab countries were being kidnapped and held for ransom as well.

Very sad story. Many people have lost a lot as a result of this uprising, and she is one of those people. I hope that she is able to move forward from this and keep having a great career. She's seen a lot in her life, I hope that this doesn't cloud her judgement about whether this was a good uprising or a bad one.

I hope somehow those people are brought to justice.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There's a reason mobs and mob rule have a sordid reputation. You never know what might happen when thousands get together spontaneously. Some join in simply because it's there, it's happening, not because they have some stake in the original purpose behind the outpouring of people. This may have been started by some people that weren't pro-Mubarak or anti-Mubarak, and others joined in. I hope we find out, and I hope they suffer for what they've done, but it won't help Ms. Logan a great deal. Not now.

14. PointForward

PointForward Member

from reuters:
    she was previously detained by Mubarak's police at the beginning of the shenanigans and they wanted to deport her. story here

Sounds like the same Mubarak thugs who beat up on Anderson Cooper did this to the poor lady. Thoughts and prayers go out to her wishing her a speedy recovery.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

True. I was hasty to guess at which side of the political divide the perpetrators could be on and others are correct in pointing out the hastiness of my speculation. Re-reading the story, they could be pro- or anti-Mubarak, or don't care about Mubarak either way. Might just be random thugs, or even prisoners who escaped during the first days of the protests.

Mobs can always become dangerous, whether during a protest, a post-regime-change celebration, or the Puerto Rican Day parade and there do need to be order restraining potentially violent mobs lest this thing turns into the French Revolution and people start building guillotines in Cairo. This does not mean, however, that the revolution was a bad idea or Egyptians will not be able to become a democratic and functioning civil society-- not any more than violence during the Puerto Rican Day parade means Puerto Ricans are animals who can't be trusted to act civilized.

Revolutions are generally not pretty events and involve violence to one degree or another. As revolutions go, though, the degree of order in this one has been fairly good, partly because most of the crowd were not fanatics out there for blood and partly because the role the military has played in maintaining some degree of order. It is notable that Ms. Logan was saved from her attackers by a group of women on the square and a group of 20 or so soldiers.

Of course, any degree of violence of this sort needs to be condemned, but I doubt this means post-revolution Egypt is doomed to failure. There are no doubt criminal and violent elements in the country, just like there were during Mubarak's time (and that's in addition to members of the secret police state) or anywhere in the world, but it seems there is at least the military out there maintaining some order right now (not an optimal situation, but at least not an all out civil war/bloodbath/anarchy).

1 person likes this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I just don't get this world sometimes. What can you really say about this? It's tragic to say the least. Sexual abuse in itself is horrendous, the damage done from abuse by over 200 people is unspeakable and something she will most likely never get past.

I'm a person who tries to see the best in people in general, but things like this makes me lose what little hope I have for humanity. I'm not naive to the worlds goings on, but you'd think that someone would have attempted to stop this act before it escalated to the point it did.

I hope she can find some peace in her life after this, it will be the longest of roads no doubt.

17. worzel gummidge

Uneducated mobs regardless of country (1st, 3rd, etc) can be more cruel in their ways. Chances of encountering these people can be higher in third world and developing nations. Of course there are also these smaller nations with very lovely and friendly people. There are certain countries where foreign women should not go.

18. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Thats terrible. Really feel bad for her :(

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

picture: recent picture of Lara Logan in Cairo

[​IMG]

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I know from German female tourists in Egypt and in the Arab world in general that they feel really uncomfortable with the way men stare at them and treat them. Political correctness aside, it is a known fact that Arab men, on average, act differently towards women, especially towards blonde women.

Being an attractive blonde woman in a mob situation there that is out of control seems like a bad idea on many levels.