1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happened to Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DJ, Feb 5, 2011.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

I never knew AB was so mentally weak. Disappointing.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Looks like Brooks did Adelman and the Rockets a favor.

If he was on the bench you know Adelman would have put him in there and the Rockets would have lost in regulation.

Brooks does what is best for the team.

3. worzel gummidge

+ Mental weakness and now possibly behaviour not right.

It's the Alston situation all over again but worse.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's the most shocking part. He fought so hard from being a player who was so uncertain on the court in his rookie year to becoming the MIP.

5. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Not a good sign. If he can't contribute then he needs to at least support his team on the bench. Seems like Brooks is having problems deferring to the best player of this squad which is no longer him. If Scola who plays better than Brooks can do it, then he should. And honestly, Scola is even more effective by accepting his role as second option. It's the only way a team can gel.

Big ego ball hogs get you nowhere in this league. Look at Stephon Starbury, who was light years better than Brooks.

AB had one great season because he was "the man". Someone better came in and took his place. Now he is clearly having trouble giving up that title.

Either way, I feel bad for Brooks because its a loose loose situation for him. There is no way that he can outplay Lowry in his role. Lowry runs the offense, hustles, and play better defense than him. That's exactly what this team needs for Martin, Scola, and Hayes to be effective. Even if he improves his shooting, he will most likely still be stuck as back up.

With Brad Miller back, I can see AB playing better. He essentially dribbles the ball up court, (that is if he doesnt dribble it off his knees or get an 8 second violation) then hands it over to Miller in the high post and let Miller facilitate. AB and Lee would basically be playing shooting gaurd and Miller as point/center.

He had an amazing sophmore season because he was hitting at a high clip. Now that he's not, AB is getting exposed.

6. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

So which plane does Aaron board?

But seriously, this guy was just never the same after the ankle injury. To think he was MIP and now he is probably the most regressed player. He's get back to his game but he just needs to stop the bad decisions and turning the ball over. Adelman is giving him a chance.

7. nathan8

nathan8 Member

I don't understand this front office sometimes. Brooks plays one good game and they consider keeping him and continue to say that he wont be traded unless it brings back a star and then also follow to brag about how much upside and incredible potential he has especially coming off his MIP year, then once that bad form strikes again he just instantly and automatically becomes ''un-tradeable'' and seemingly lose all of his value! I mean comon guys, this is pathetic.

Lowry is our new PG, whether brooks hits form or not. I love AB, please don't mistake me but in order to help our franchise we need moves asap. At this deadline a center and a star. We have all of the correct assets, let me emphasize, ALL of the correct assets!!!! Make a heavy, hard and aggressive push within the next 18 odd days.

Fingers crossed for my team.... :confused:

8. somenobody

somenobody Member

I thought he was just not a very good player. I don't know he is a quitter until today.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If this is what it looks like, yeah, it's pretty disappointing. Pretty sad, really. I don't blame the coach at all on this. If anything, Adelman has been giving lots of chances to Brooks to get out of the funk.

10. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Flynn has actually been decent lately.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2011/02/rockets_find_a_way_to_win_in_o.html

[rquoter]
    Rockets find a way to win in overtime; Aaron Brooks finds the door in the fourth quarter

The timing looked terrible, but there is really no good time to walk out on your team.

Aaron Brooks might have tweaked the ankle and not bothered to tell anyone, which would be entirely the wrong way to handle even that.

When he left the court and headed to the locker room, with no trainer with him and no report of any injury, it looked like much more.

It looked as if he left the floor because he had been taken out of the game to go somewhere and sulk.

If he did, that is disgraceful and inexcusable.

As of early this morning, there has not been an explanation. Brooks was taken from the game with 6:45 left when Rick Adelman returned to his starters. Brooks left the court and headed to the locker room where he began his postgame routine of icing his left ankle.

Asked where Brooks had gone, Adelman indicated there was no injury as far as he knew.

"I don't know. I don't know," Adelman said. "You'd have to ask him."

That seemed a pretty strong indication that Brooks was not hurt, but so did the past few weeks when he routinely has seemed to stomp off the floor when taken out of games.

Adelman had been going with him down the stretch of games, but has not been rewarded for his faith and confidence. Brooks delivered often in those situations last season. That, and not his increased production, was what earned this vote for Most Improved Player. It is why Adelman has tried so hard to get Brooks back up to speed.

Brooks, however, has seemed unhappy for weeks. He said last week he had been displeased with his playing time and role, but had gotten over it. He explained that if he has looked unhappy, that it was only because of his poor play and the team's struggles.

He seemed, however, to still be dissatisfied, even though Adelman had showed such unrelenting confidence in him.

Squeezing Brooks into the rotation has at times squeezed Courtney Lee and Kevin Martin out. They have refused to complain, with Martin even contending in Utah that he did not mind sitting most of the last eight minutes. Chase Budinger logged all of seven minutes on Saturday. Terrence Williams has not found a place at all.

Yet, when the Rockets grabbed the win on Saturday, Brooks was not on the bench.

Lowry could have turned an ankle or gotten into foul trouble. He could have needed a breather had the game gone into more overtimes. Adelman could have needed - and maybe did need - another ball handler and 3-point shooter on the floor.

There might be a reason Brooks was not around, but no one told his coach of one. For that matter, I can't find anyone that knew of a reason for Brooks to not be with his team for the final 12 minutes of the game.

When Brooks was Rafer Alston's backup, he did it with a consistent good attitude. When Kyle Lowry was his backup, he was ambitious, but supportive. Brooks, however, has seemed concerned with his own frustrations about his contract, his injury and his struggles. The Rockets have other issues.

The Rockets went into Saturday's game needing a win to keep from falling to six games below .500, as far from break even as they have been this season, and to five games behind then eighth-place Memphis.

They got the win by doing anything necessary, as if after a horrid first half, they knew what is at stake in the next few weeks. They got 13 rebounds from Shane Battier, his most since he played in Memphis, 31 points from Kevin Martin, even though his shot would not fall, a game-saving blocked shot of a Marc Gasol drive by Kyle Lowry and a big overtime from Luis Scola. This is how they must play, and probably need to play that way before getting down by 14.

For a team barely hanging on, this is not a time for personal agendas or frustrations. It is only about finding a way to win.

Brooks found his way to the exit. The Rockets will seek answers today. It is difficult to think of any that will be acceptable.

[/rquoter]

12. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

dang..............

13. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

14. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Never understood some fans' obsession with him, but I never expected something like that. What a loser.

15. somenobody

somenobody Member

His behaviour took away my last faith in him. He should feel terribly sorry for that DD guy for wasting so much time to defend him.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Whoa! That was Feigan? I can't remember the last time I read something that strong from the man about a Rockets player. Unreal.

17. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Thanks for that Durv,

Another lose lose situation for him again. I wonder what will be the official excuse. Adelman has been doing him a huge favor even at the expense of losing games and upsetting fans for his poor inconsistent play.

If he aint willling to play ball, its time to ship on out.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

"I didn't quit on my teammates, I quit on you [Rick]!"

No wait, it's "I'm not running out on my teammates, I'm running out on you [Rick]!"

[​IMG]

:p

19. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Yeah, normally he takes easy on players.. This one was a strong one.. seems like even he is frustrated with Brooks. I bet Bill/Clyde/Matt all feels the same, but of course won't mention it much.

20. worzel gummidge

It wasn't too long ago. I can't recall the player's name. Also was a volume shooter at ordinary 2P & 3P percentages. IIRC, liked the ball is his hands. Eventually fell out with most Rockets fans with his attitude.