1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier: It's nice to hear from your wife you still got it every now and then...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7414076.html

1 person likes this.
  2. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

mhm

IMO I would only keep Battier for a low price like 2-3 mill maybe if he would be willing to come off the bench fr t-will :p lol ....but i see battier in a rockets uniform sometimes other times i feel like the rockets are going to trade him or let him go into free agency

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That means he is not immune to a trade,and neither should he or anyone else be.

4. SleepingGiants

I still really like Battier. He is one of the only pure defensive minded people we have, and just brings so much to the team we don't know about in the locker room, and during practices.

If anyone on our team was going to have that 'C' on their jersey it would be him.

Understandably, his speed is slipping with age.. so he might not be able to defend most SG's anymore, but his post defense has improved even still.

I'd like to see battier come of the bench as a stopper. Throw him in the mix with those wing PF to stop the outside shot as well as limiting some post game.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You truly believe that the only thing keeping Battier off the bench is his non willing ness to do so? Really?

6. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

So it begins................

7. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

ie. uncertain about resigning Battier and how it'll affect the Rockets organization to resign an aging Battier to a decent sized contact (because he still has value and will need to be paid for that value).

What I love about the technology of media these days is everything is recorded and everyone realizes that, so ppl will almost never lie (depends on how much integrity they have). They'll evade, dodge, justify, etc. but rarely lie. That means there's always a truth there some where to be dug up in their evasions.

8. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Battier has value on this team regardless if we young or want to contend. He can be a great mentor and leader for all they youngs or be Mr right place at right time and do all the right things - if we want to contend.

Hayes and Battier are the last remnants of the idenity we used to have. It would be a sad day if one of them were to leave us.

2 people like this.
  9. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

can't agree with you more. people tend to undervalue the need for veteran leadership. u can see it in a lot of the teams and can explain why they are good but can't win a championship. Magic and Cavs (with LeBron) didn't have the proper veteran leadership to win the title. Spurs, Lakers, and Celtics all had great veteran leadership that led them to the titles.

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

How many days left till the trade deadline Morey? Trying to push it to the end? Might backfire. Hope you havent passed on something real good to wait for something else?

11. trugoy

trugoy Member

Battier is quite simple really, offer him full MLE or lose him, one of the contenders will offer that to him.

12. Raven

Raven Member

Then it's adios Amigo. ;)

13. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

No way you offer up the full MLE to an aging no stats all-star.

He needs to just mentor Williams and just shut up.

14. jogo

jogo Member

I agree that veteran leadership is important. Battier can stay and help Buddy/Twill/Lee/whoever develop. If he takes a paycut, of course.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Excellent post.

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I agree. The Kings and the Wizards are examples of what happens if you have young talent but don't have that leadership ie. you have a team that loses games because they do stupid thing after stupid thing.

Do people just not learn?

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I haven't been in the GARM a lot lately, but with the few post I have seen of you in the GARM and Dish, you are starting to become one of my least favorite posters. It is not about your opinion (everybody ca have their own opinion) but more on you posting style.

1 person likes this.
  18. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Williams is GOD according to Clutchfans and Battier is trash...

Well.... they will know one day who is who.

1 person likes this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Battier is worth more to us as an expiring contract than a player, he is gone unless he takes a pay cut.

He's probably the most professional, likable guy in the entire NBA, but this is a business... not a social club.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't blame Shane for asking about an extension.

I don't blame Morey for saying no.

If Shane truly wants to be here, they might work something out over the summer if he's not traded.