1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe Lookin to Pass Hakeem on All Time Scoring List Tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets R' Us, Jan 28, 2011.

1. delishman

delishman Member

If anything I find this more to be a testament of what a great and underrated offensive player Hakeem was.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting you didn't find the kind words in this article to highlight:

Previously, Bryant had plenty of nice things to say about Olajuwon.

"I learned a great deal, obviously, just the details of the post game from him," Bryant said after Thursday's practice. "Hakeem is incredibly smart and for him to take the time and welcome me into his home and show me different things is a tribute to his greatness."

Bryant had some high praise for the former Houston Rockets center.

"In my opinion, he's the best post player ever," Bryant said. "With all due respect to [Kevin] McHale, Hakeem was phenomenal."

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hakeem never traveled. His footwork was perfect.

4. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Yea, I didn't highlight Bryant's comments because what he said about Hakeem we already know. :) I'm just focusing on the negative stuff. I guess all the bashing is just a sign of hate from Phil.

5. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

good for kobe. always nice to see a player of his caliber pass another milestone.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Of course Phil is right. Kobe didn't imitate Hakeem...Hakeem can't be imitated.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's kind of funny that Hakeem actually had to show the officials back then that his move was not a travel. Shows you that it was a different time back then.

These days, Hakeem could just do his move with the traveling and no one would care. :)

8. Prince

Prince Member

it's good to know about his passing... :eek:

9. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

May he rest in...

his laurels :grin: :grin:

10. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

LoL Rockets homers talking about Kobe winning championships because of HOF teammates
    How many championships did Hakeem win without HOF teammates?
    Hakeem couldnt win anything even with 2 HOF teammates

11. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Hakeem is the best big man of all time, Kobe isn't close to being the best SG of all time. He's worse than Jordan in every way. Hakeem vs Jordan was always a fun debate, who would win if they matched up in the finals? That was an actual debate, this is not. We might have a debate if Kobe could match Jordan's excellence in even one area but he can't.

His career high FG% is lower than Jordan's career low FG%.
    He's one of the worst clutch shooters of all time (Jordan 57% career game-winners, Kobe 27%, made more hilarious when you consider the league average is 30%)
    Every single NBA finals he's been to, his game has plummeted while great ones like Shaq Hakeem and Michael have elevated their games greatly(career 41% shooter in NBA finals, shot in the 30s more often than in the 40s...)
    He doesn't run Phil Jackson's offense very well at all when it counts. When the Lakers got dominated by the Pistons in 04, he shot more shots than Shaq despite shooting 38% compared to Shaq 63%. He has exactly one game-winning assist in his ENTIRE CAREER.

He's just not even in the discussion honestly. If you wanna rate a player by rings then go ahead and crown Horry as one of the greats too, considering he's won far more often than Kobe with greater variety of teams, with far better clutch performances.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i don't think kobe had a better career than dream though, which won't be the case in the national media and the casual fan's perspective.

kobe's all-nba defense selections would put him in dream's class, which would be absurd. hakeem is arguably the best defender of all time, and 2-way player of all time.

kobe's offense is more explosive than dream, so i'll give him that. but his inefficiency at times hurt him. and his finals performances are nothing to write home about. his fg% has been mediocre in the finals.

but kobe is an all-time great. knowing his offensive production, this day would come. but i would take dream 12 times out of 10

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Umm, Hakeem was the leader of one of two teams since the ABA era to not have at least 2 HOF/Future HOF'ers on its roster...

14. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Q&A with Hakeem Olajuwon on Kobe

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/110129kobehakeem.html

1 person likes this.
  15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Dream respects greatness. And Kobe is great.

I honestly respect Kobe. I just despise his fans that won't shut up about him surpassing Jordan with the passion of a thousand suns.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great players respect other great players.
    MVPs respect MVPs.
    Champions respect Champions.

This only proves that Clutch City may have not been in the minds of the media,
    but it is in the hearts of great players and fans.

17. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Kevin McHale?

18. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

McHale was money in the post.

19. gah

gah Member

The Dream is a man of honor, hats off to him.

20. Jet036

Jet036 Member

That site has Mcgrady listed 8 places above Nash...wtf