1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kindle ebook sales overtake paperback sales on Amazon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Coach AI, Jan 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/amazon-celebrates-its-first-10-billion-quarter-in-sales-find/

I would have been surprised to see that ebooks overtook hardcover, much less to find out it already happened. Looks like the ebook popularity is growing even faster than most people anticipated.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It's really amazing to see.. I didn't expect it to be this fast but getting ebook reader nowadays is the way to go. I know if I read a lot, I would def get one of these things. Saves you a lot of time and money.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You guys don't think its one of those fad gadgets? I seriously think there will be a decline

4. dback816

dback816 Member

Before everyone going back to paper again....? :confused:

5. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

I think that these gadgets (kindle, nook, sony e-reader) will all eventually be replaced by iPad-like tablet devices. Having a tablet that can only read books is only useful if I read a lot of books. The return on investment is not high enough to warrant spending $150 on a device that will store only a few ebooks.

However, if an iPad like device came down in price, a lot of people would use them as multi-functional computing platforms (web surfing, apps, etc) and that would really drive up ebook sales.

I agree shastarocket that ebook readers (that have limited functionality - i.e. only book reading) will be a fad, while tablet computing will not be.

6. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

One doesn't even need a physical ebook reader. Simply download the Kindle app to your phone or pc/mac and you are good to go.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I don't really like these. I like when I'm reading a book that I can flip back easily to a previous page to reread a part that foreshadowed something or to refresh my memory. On any of these devices, it's an ordeal. With paper, I can flip through the pages and jolt my memory when some phrase or dialogue stands out. On E-readers and tablets, you can input the page or chapter, but it's just not the same.

It's a shame, bookstores are going to die out because of this. Even the Independent stores are going to fail eventually. Borders is dying, B&N is killing it's physical stores with every NOOK it sells. I like being able to browse books and find something interesting or getting a recommendation from a random stranger in the same aisle.

The other thing killing bookstores; the freeloaders who read books and magazines with no intent to buy and just stack them up and leave a mess behind. If anybody reading this right now is guilty of that, I want you to know that I'm not joking when I say I hope you get hit by a truck tomorrow.

Now all the people who buy James Patterson and Nora Roberts/JD Robb will have nobody to try and get them to give something different a chance. They're just going to keep on downloading lame book after lame book.

8. gah

gah Member

Yes, they will inevitably be replaced by tablets but the e-reading experience that these gadgets brought is here to stay. They won't be replaced until more versatile, cost-conscious tablets that don't give any eye-strain get to the market.

Even if you are a casual reader I suggest you jump in the bandwagon, this is not just a fad, plus I started reading more since I got mine.

I love my Kindle, my eyes love the Kindle screen (they hate backlit screens), I love carrying around hundreds of book in that one tiny thing just because I can, I love consulting dictionaries by only having to click on the word, lots of free stuff too, classic and new.

I know it's a matter of preference but when it comes to reading literature I don't miss a beat at all, I find myself engrossed in the book just as I would do with a well presented paperback, granted the book is good to begin with.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I guess my biggest issue with these is I don't really even understand the purpose of buying books in the first place unless it's a reference book. I mean, how many people re-read the majority of books they buy? Just go to your library and "rent" books for free and then return it so it doesn't take up space in your home when you're finished.

Do libraries offer some sort of digital books that can be checked out on these devices?

10. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

that is one of things i love about Kindle...i am currently reading a paperback and i have to go to my phone to look up the word.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Who cares if the bookstores die unless going to the bookstore is some great experience for you. If you go to the bookstore to buy a damned book... well, you can do that now without going to a bookstore.
    If the bookstore offers an experience that can't be had otherwise... it'll live. If not, it won't. Simple.

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Why? I don't know that there would be a move in 'reverse' that makes sense. It's the same as media formats improving, music going digital download as opposed to CD, etc. etc. I mean if you are talking about just a specific player I suppose that's possible, but the sales are more related to the distribution method than anything else.

I don't know if it'll happen anytime soon. I think these readers will be sub 100 bucks soon, and then probably lower in the years after that. Tablets will lower in price, but not that dramatically. I think they server a specific function and do it rather well - not too mention the e-ink screens are probably a long way away (if ever) from finding a way to be 'integrated' into a Tablet successfully.

Also, these things store thousands of books, so they are designed for regular readers to begin with. You are basically looking at a container for your digital library, like the ipod for music or the media center for video, etc. Anyone who just reads 'a few books' was never really the market anyway.

I think I mentioned it in another thread, but I had these very same concerns at one point. They went away about a few pages in to my first ever ebook. The Kindle with the cover folded back, for example, feels pretty much like I am holding a book in my hands. Moving around to different points is no problem (lots of reference ability built into these things I notice) either.

Really, I think this is the true benefit of the e-ink. It makes the transition incredibly smooth. Pretty much the only difference is that I tap a button near the side (where my hand naturally is anyway) to turn a page. That's about it. And then the added improvements more than wash away any other negatives for me. So far I have had much much less of a problem moving to the reader than I thought I would, honestly.

I do agree about the bookstore thing, though I think they were declining before ebooks really took off anyway. I hope there can be some way for them to stick around.

Disagree about the 'finding new stuff', browsing, discovery, etc. I find that I browse through Amazon looking for new material just like I would moving through aisles (except I have even more ways of searching).

13. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Not a surprised. Everything these days is becoming digitized.

Cd sales are dying. Hardly anyone develops photos from film anymore. And almost everything else is stored on a harddrive.

It's just more practical and so that we don't have clutter everywhere.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Bookstores will die for the same reason that Blockbuster and Hollywood Video did.

This is the true digital revolution. For the first time everybody's carrying around little computers in their pockets with high speed connectivity and hideous amounts of processing power. Brick and mortar for content consumption is becoming a relic of the past.