1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets working on "something" ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 11, 2000.

1. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

Like Popeye would say, " Things have to fall into place " but if they do, it's going to be a nice summer.

Work-out, schmurk-out - " I'm going to work out this summer and get big and strong and develop a jump hook and this and that and this and that......"

------------------
    Wait, there is another...

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Perhaps Doc is a Biuid or however heypartner called it.

If they can fix the lottery, tell me how so I can put the fix in for my mother's BINGO games.

Mango

------------------
    Arch Stanton lives!

Donate Blood!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Let's keep it simple

CATO IS GONE!!

Cato IS 7' tall...

Oh, hold it, I thought I was in Popeye's thread again. Nevermind, carry on.

4. 3pointer

3pointer Member

Heypartner , I think you might be right because I really don't know how else they would be able to move up so much... either that or we get extremely lucky and the balls bounce our way , that would be sweet !

------------------
    It's all about marketing !

5. Swami

Swami Member

6. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire Member

If you are able to trade the #9 Pick and Cato to get a top 3 pick, do you believe they might get a shot at Kenyon instead of Swift. It seems to me like KMart is better prepared to step into the Rockets plans then Swift would. Depending on how the draft order falls and the Bulls pick first, there might be an opportunity to snatch KMart. It is apparent that the Rox have a history of blowing smoke about a player (Swift) before the draft and then draft someone else.

------------------

7. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

Now looking at all the latest things it would appear that Doc Rocket and Clutch have heard the same things and judging from Clutch's response it appears Doc has sources so when Dco says expect a lottery shocker does that mean we are in for a top 3 pick or that they will help to force a trade to get us Swift? I will be perfectly honest, I could live with that. By hook or crook we will get another championship.

------------------

8. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

If the secret info that Clutch and Doc are hinting at really involves moving up to the top three by trade or chance, then we've certainly moved away from the "young but not overly-exciting" player that Clutch started this thread about.

If we land Swift or Martin, we are rebuilt. The rest is gravy.

We already know from several different sources, both public and private, that the Rockets have been talking to the Grizz, Magic and Clippers. I think they are working out every hypothetical they can, so they are prepared when the lottery order is set.
    "So, Magic, you'll take Cato straight up for #4? What more would you want if you landed #2? Clips, you'll accept Cato, #9 and Drew for Kandi and #3? How about you, Vancouver?"

I think that "things falling into place" involves one of these already-agreed-upon scenarious working out perfectly once the lottery is drawn on Sunday, and work begins immediately to finalize the deal.

If we are to trust Clutch that Doc could become another Supertrade Prophet within the next thirty days, then the potential deal is going down after the lottery but before the draft.

As for what the NBA wants- they want the league's most exciting team, the Rockets (in the opinion of NBC) to get more air time and draw in their lost audience, which is a legitimate concern. Ratings are down. If the Rocks land another exciting vert-happy player, that would certainly be a boon.

9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I haven't posted anything in this thread yet and I have no sources, but I'd just like to put down a prediction on record in case it comes true. My guess is the player the Rockets may get is Jahidi White (my favorite of the FA centers), which would then enable them to trade Cato in a deal for a top 3 pick. I think Jahidi would work out fine at center if we have a bad a$$ at PF, so I'd be very happy with that deal.

------------------

10. comets979899

comets979899 Member

i could live with that...

------------------

11. Plato

Plato Contributing Member

my (and every breathing rockets fan's) dream:
    Drew + Walt + #9 to LAC
    Odom + #1 to Rox

for a whopping:

PG Francis (not the entire franchise anymore!)
    SG Anderson
    SF Odom
    PF KMart
    C Cato

We can all dream. (sorry, i just had to post this) [​IMG]

------------------

12. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Dear Everyone:

Wow, you guys sure know basketball. Does anyone know what day the draft is? Just drop me an email

elgin_baylor@clippers.com

thanks
    EB

PS. Open interviews for coach are next Tuesday, maybe Thursday, location TBA. Thx.

------------------

13. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

It's a good time to be a rocket fan.
    Bad time to be a clipper fan.

Good to hear from you EB.
    I've sent over my resume and need to point out one typo, however. It should read customer relations at "Whataburger" not Waterburger. See ya on Tues., Thurs. or Watever.

------------------

[This message has been edited by kissofdeath (edited May 17, 2000).]

14. Onepaks

Onepaks Member

Some of the clues that can answer who the player is:

The reason why cluth can not say who the player is because he is still playing in the playoffs and a key player to his team.

Young but not exciting

Rudy likes the player a lot

With these clues, I think the player is Brian Grant.

------------------

15. Puff

Puff Member

Call me crazy, but I could see some interest in Howard Eisley. I think Grant is too big of a name. Eisley comes from a vet team, and if I am not mistaken is a free agent and buds with Shandon. I know we are content with Moochie, but I could see Eisley as a valuable backup to Stevie. I understand our concentration is a big man, but I could envision a sign and trade of Howard for maybe Bryce? You know Utah would love him there. I am just throwing out a possibility, let me know what you guys think?

------------------
    A Chuck paraphrase:

It was surreal! And I don't even know what that means!

Charles after Eddie hit THE SHOT

16. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Hi Elgin! Loved you when you were playing for the Lakers. Too bad no one want to play for you today... However, I talked to Bryce Drew and he thinks is would be really neat to play for you and wants to be traded there. How about Bryce for your #1 pick? The draft is tomorrow, so think fast! Sign here!

P.S. I told Bobby Knight to drop by for an interview. I think his "people skills" will really help you hold onto your talent, like Taylor and Odom.

------------------
    If you don't remember the ABA, you don't know basketball.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chris Mihm isn't exactly an exciting player.....

(PS-No I don't want him)

A second coming of popeye, hmm?

Olowakandi also fits all descriptions.....but he's not on a playoff team.

My ideal trade:
    Cato, Drew, KT, #9, #38 FOR Olowakandi, #1, #18

#1=Stromile Swift OR Kenyon Martin (I like Swift more, but I find it difficult to pass over KMart)
    #9=Courtney Alexander OR Morris Peterson OR Quentin Richardson OR Mike Miller etc. etc.
    #18=Olumide Oyededji OR Ernest Brown OR Desmond Mason OR Quentin Richardson OR DeShawn Stevenson etc. etc.(lots of choices....depends on who's there)
    #38=Jamaal Magloire OR Pete Mickeal, or various second rounder

new lineups (main parts):
    Houston=
    C-Hakeem/Olowakandi
    PF-Swift/Oyededji(MAYBE) (OO is VERY raw, and will be tutored)
    SF-Walt Williams/3 guard lineup/Stevenson (MAYBE)
    SG-Anderson/Mobley
    PG-Francis/Norris

LAC=
    C-Cato/Closs
    PF-KT/Magloire
    SF-Odom
    SG-Alexander
    PG-Drew

(not extremely familiar with the Clippers wide variety of backup scrubs) Nesby is a backup also

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

18. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

NikeStrad:

That's an interesting idea.

LAC also has #30 in the draft, where they probably could take Corey Hightower, a 6'8" SG who boasts he often beat Tracy McGrady one on one.

If we did that, I'd want to get Deshawn Stevenson at #18.

I don't think Alexander would be there at #9, but Miller, Miles or MoPete could be.

LAC would have:

Cato/Kloss
    KT/Magliore
    Odom/Miller
    Nesby/Hightower
    Drew/Murdock

If Houston somehow signed Lewis as Popeye is mentioning, then Houston would have:

Dream/Kandi/TMass
    Martin/Rogers
    Williams/Lewis/Bullard
    Anderson/Mobely/Stevenson
    Francis/Norris

If LAC would give us their #30 also, I'd want to take Mario Austin, who might still be available.

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mario Austin will be there at #30.

But, I doubt the Clips would give #18 and #30, or quite possibly, either.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

20. Plato

Plato Contributing Member

do any of you guys think there is any chance to get Odom?
    I know I know, why the hell would the clips do this. well, odom and francis are pretty friendly with one another. also, and possibly more importantly, odom and cuttino are buddies from college (or something).

Odom will not be a clipper after his contract is up, period. so why don't the clips trade for some guys under contract that they may keep for a while to build on? well, obviously the answer is that they want to build around odom. i guess this all hinges on (1) the clipps' stupidity (2) odom's desire to join the rockets and definitely leave the clippers.

something like:
    Walt + Drew (+ maybe the 2nd rounder) for Odom.

totally unreasonable, or slightly possible???

------------------